Want to do economics at UCL. Do I stand a chance?

Watch
bcjfw
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My GCSE grades were pretty average. I didn’t try for anything to say the least as I wasn’t in the right frame of mind at the time. 3 A*s, 5 A’s and 3 B’s. I’ve decided I’m really interested in doing economics and especially in UCL as I’ve always loved that university. I’m taking maths biology and chemistry for a level and I’m predicted A*AA. Due to my poor results at GCSE I’m fearful. Do I stand a chance?
username4249996
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your GCSE's will not be holding you back. UCL states for economics that:

"English Language and Mathematics at grade C or 5. For UK-based students, a grade C or 5 or equivalent in a foreign language (other than Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew or Latin) is required. UCL provides opportunities to meet the foreign language requirement following enrolment, further details at: www.ucl.ac.uk/ug-reqs "

You have nothing lower than a B so that's great. Your predicted grades are enough. All you need to do now to get into UCL is work hard and get that A* in maths and 2 A's in your other subjects.
username4249996
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good Luck Janet
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by janetjay)
My GCSE grades were pretty average. I didn’t try for anything to say the least as I wasn’t in the right frame of mind at the time. 3 A*s, 5 A’s and 3 B’s. I’ve decided I’m really interested in doing economics and especially in UCL as I’ve always loved that university. I’m taking maths biology and chemistry for a level and I’m predicted A*AA. Due to my poor results at GCSE I’m fearful. Do I stand a chance?
funnily enough it's not your GCSE which will harm you (they're not bad actually) but your A level choices. you should have done further maths and an essay subject, although i suppose Biology is a semi-essay subject
username4249996
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
funnily enough it's not your GCSE which will harm you (they're not bad actually) but your A level choices. you should have done further maths and an essay subject, although i suppose Biology is a semi-essay subject
Economics doesnt require doing further maths, unless she wants to do something like 'Economics and Mathematics". Doing normal maths is just fine. Doing an essay subject would probably help once she is at uni, but essay writing skills are easily picked up imo.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by yoink)
Economics doesnt require doing further maths, unless she wants to do something like 'Economics and Mathematics". Doing normal maths is just fine. Doing an essay subject would probably help once she is at uni, but essay writing skills are easily picked up imo.
no a) further maths b) economics c) essay subject

not good
username4249996
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
no a) further maths b) economics c) essay subject

not good
Im doing mathematics and economics at york. I get its not on par with UCL, but from what I have seen is that economics is not essential, its almost undesirable because some kids come in there and have their pre-existing knowledge challenged. I did an essay subject at A-Level, it also doesn't help with sh*t ngl. Doing further maths is very ideal tho, although I think that may only be because im doing economics and maths. If I didn't do a joint honours with maths I suspect the maths to be pretty standard, not further maths level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads