The Student Room Group

Do I need Maths for Oxford PPE?

Hi,

I'm considering selecting Oxford as one of my five application choices, but question whether my academic profile is a) in adherence with the required criteria and b) at a level by which I may be successful in my application.

I understand Mathematics is not specifically outlined as a requirement, however one senses that it is strongly desired. I achieved a grade 8 at GCSE maths, but elected to discontinue my A-level Mathematics course after year one, without recieving an AS qualification.

Not only this, but my other subjects are not known for their academic rigour - Politics, History and Economics.

In summary, is my lack of formal qualification for Mathematics after GCSE a deciding factor in whether I will be successful, and do my other subjects mean that I'll be viewed as less academically able.

Thank you

P.S ( I expect to achieve the minimum of AAA)
Original post by CantThink...
Hi,

I'm considering selecting Oxford as one of my five application choices, but question whether my academic profile is a) in adherence with the required criteria and b) at a level by which I may be successful in my application.

I understand Mathematics is not specifically outlined as a requirement, however one senses that it is strongly desired. I achieved a grade 8 at GCSE maths, but elected to discontinue my A-level Mathematics course after year one, without recieving an AS qualification.

Not only this, but my other subjects are not known for their academic rigour - Politics, History and Economics.

In summary, is my lack of formal qualification for Mathematics after GCSE a deciding factor in whether I will be successful, and do my other subjects mean that I'll be viewed as less academically able.

Thank you

P.S ( I expect to achieve the minimum of AAA)

I don't think that you would be greatly disadvantaged. BUt if you could maybe you should get AS level qualification. If you are sure you can cope then you could do all four at A2. But most unis are looking for only 3 and since your subjects are related to the degree I am assume it'd be fine. You could always ring up Oxford though.
Original post by _Mia101
I don't think that you would be greatly disadvantaged. BUt if you could maybe you should get AS level qualification. If you are sure you can cope then you could do all four at A2. But most unis are looking for only 3 and since your subjects are related to the degree I am assume it'd be fine. You could always ring up Oxford though.

Thank you so much for the reply 😁, my school is extremely reluctant to allow anyone to do the AS. We asked to be submitted last year and they just never entered us, with the objective of forcing us to continue to A2. I do not have the stamina for four A- levels and have just emailed the PPE department in following your advice, thanks again.
Original post by CantThink...
Thank you so much for the reply 😁, my school is extremely reluctant to allow anyone to do the AS. We asked to be submitted last year and they just never entered us, with the objective of forcing us to continue to A2. I do not have the stamina for four A- levels and have just emailed the PPE department in following your advice, thanks again.

You are most welcome.😊

Quick Reply

Latest