LivHoworth
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone hope its all going well with the application, I am getting very stressed haha!!
Just wondering if anyone went to the Bristol open day and what they thought of their new case based learning style? I am not too sure as I like going to lectures and being taught it. Just wondered what everyone thought. Although beggars can't be choosers I suppose!!
LivHoworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by redonks)
i'm starting at bristol this year and i've got my first year timetable, there are loads of lectures and practicals!!
only 9 "cases" during the year, each of which are 2 hours long
Hey! Oh that sounds good are you doing the graduate programme?
ewecrazy?
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wasn't too keen when I went to the open day if I'm honest.. I love a good lecture and there are only 35 spaces so I don't think I'm going to apply there!
LivHoworth
Rep:
?
oh wait that's what you meant by grad in the title lol sorry i don't know about the accelerated programme
Thats ok! Do you think the cases help you learn?
LivHoworth
Rep:
?
(Original post by ewecrazy?)
I wasn't too keen when I went to the open day if I'm honest.. I love a good lecture and there are only 35 spaces so I don't think I'm going to apply there!
Yeah i felt the same but i also really want to do a graduate programme so not sure.
ewecrazy?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LivHoworth)
Yeah i felt the same but i also really want to do a graduate programme so not sure.
I just don't think that type of teaching is going to bring the best out of me so think I'd rather spend my money elsewhere I guess! But if the thought of only being there 4 years drives you enough then go for it! I'm guessing you've seen RVCs 4 year course too?
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just for reference I think a lot of universities use this style of learning, it is very beneficial and not really something you can avoid - or should.
I'm at Liverpool and it isn't a rule but typically after being taught a system, or part of it, they have case/clinical scenarios that are interactive with the lecturer leading you through it. Great for consolidating knowledge and learning the rest of it at the same time
ewecrazy?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VMD100)
Just for reference I think a lot of universities use this style of learning, it is very beneficial and not really something you can avoid - or should.
I'm at Liverpool and it isn't a rule but typically after being taught a system, or part of it, they have case/clinical scenarios that are interactive with the lecturer leading you through it. Great for consolidating knowledge and learning the rest of it at the same time
I know most use it to some extent which I think will be brilliant, but the new graduate programme at Bristol uses it as it's only method of teaching - no lectures etc. I love learning stuff in lectures then applying to cases so just don't think the 100% case based learning will suit me.
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you see the grad course structure on their website, you can see that there will be lectures as well
ewecrazy?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nessie162)
If you see the grad course structure on their website, you can see that there will be lectures as well
There are lectures in the course, yes, but not in the same way as other courses by the sounds of it. At the open day, they really stressed the differences this means for teaching methods, with most of it being in tutor groups of 4-6, working with a different case each week, learning systems through the case studies. The way it came across to me during the day is that they are trying to move away from lecture based learning to open the course up to students that learn in a different way.

I mean, the course isn't running yet so I guess nobody really knows how lecture based it actually will be, but just the way they presented it on the open day suggested lectures would make up only a very small portion of the course. Who knows!!
tobevet2018
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm starting at bristol this year and i've got my first year timetable, there are loads of lectures and practicals!!
only 9 "cases" during the year, each of which are 2 hours long
I'm starting at Bristol next week and still haven't had my Year 1 timetable. Please could you tell me where you found yours? Was it emailed to you? If so, please could you give me the email address as I will need to contact them to obtain my timetable. Thank you.
tobevet2018
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads