Housemates won't return deposit/unfair deductions

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey all,

Recently moved out of a student house, I was the only one who went back to do a final clean and spent a whole day doing it - oven, kitchen, floors, bathroom, garden - the works. It took two of us (a friend helped), both 7 hours each and we spent £20 on cleaning stuff, plus money on transport to get there and back. I left some minor jobs for one of the other flatmates who finally agreed to come back and do their share - generally the appliances they'd been using after I moved out, and the toilet, so probably half an hours worth of stuff.

The check out report came back and it turns out the other tenant didn't bother to clean anything, and somehow messed up the cleaning I did by leaving stains/debris around the house. They didn't even clean their own room. Consequently, there's a deposit deduction of around £250, including an unjust fee of £80 for the garden. The other tenants are saying I should pay the £80 garden fee myself as that was 'my responsibility', plus my equal share of the rest of the deductions.

Is this fair, considering nobody else did any cleaning whatsoever and I actually spent £50 on cleaning/transport? If not, has anyone had any experience of a similar issue?
spoonferret
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless they have it in writing that you were responsible for the garden, then in law they have absolutely nothing. Tell them where to stick their garden money.

As for the rest of the deductions, I don't think there's much you can do save for looking into better housemates for next time. Also, generally its a good idea to 1) take photos of the house condition as soon as you get keys (timestamped and all), and 2) take timestamped photos of the condition you leave the house in and give keys back in a tracable fashion (e.g. by recorded delivery / post)
Anonymous #1
Thanks - we did have a list of stuff we each had to do, composed by the housemate who did nothing, but my share was stupidly longer and I did stuff on their list to save them time/effort e.g. the oven... I guess I just didn't anticipate being shafted like this. I've also got photos before we moved in, and after I cleaned, and after the inventory was done - so there's photo evidence that what I did was at least to the inventory spec. The main problem is that the deposit was returned to one of the housemates who did zilch, so they (and the other lazy ones) are trying to keep as much as possible and I'm outnumbered
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks - we did have a list of stuff we each had to do, composed by the housemate who did nothing, but my share was stupidly longer and I did stuff on their list to save them time/effort e.g. the oven... I guess I just didn't anticipate being shafted like this. I've also got photos before we moved in, and after I cleaned, and after the inventory was done - so there's photo evidence that what I did was at least to the inventory spec. The main problem is that the deposit was returned to one of the housemates who did zilch, so they (and the other lazy ones) are trying to keep as much as possible and I'm outnumbered
Well if you agreed to do the garden and didn't I'd say it's fair to deduct the 80£ from you. However if they didn't do their part on the house and you did they should pay the other 250£.

Regardless if they have the money what can you do? If it's enough threaten small claims court but I doubt it will be worth it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by doodle_333)
Well if you agreed to do the garden and didn't I'd say it's fair to deduct the 80£ from you. However if they didn't do their part on the house and you did they should pay the other 250£.

Regardless if they have the money what can you do? If it's enough threaten small claims court but I doubt it will be worth it.
Sorry, should have made clearer that I did do the garden, 2 hours+ work on it...the charge for that is currently in dispute as the photos before/after are identical - but they're insisting I pay it if the dispute is unsuccessful. And yeah, I did all of the house except 30 minutes worth of stuff like the microwave, toaster, and toilet... which they'd left horrendous stains in (perhaps intentionally)

You're sadly probably right but I'll look into small claims anyway, thanks
Anonymous #1
(Original post by doodle_333)

I think you've commented on one of my threads before...funnily enough, about the same housemate, back when they had the heating on full whack all day everyday and slammed doors in the middle of the night in angry tempers. Thanks for the continued support haha.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You live and you learn. I know it's frustrating - I've been in a similar situation before - but there's not much you can do. Could you speak to the landlord about it? I just hope you don't end up living with absolute ***** next time
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think you've commented on one of my threads before...funnily enough, about the same housemate, back when they had the heating on full whack all day everyday and slammed doors in the middle of the night in angry tempers. Thanks for the continued support haha.
No problem I've lived with some nutters too. It's tough. Just try and learn some lessons and thank God you're out of there now. Tbh I would never leave a rented place without cleaning everything and documenting cos you just don't know what others will do. It's annoying but better than getting your deposit knocked down.

Just saying but if your deposit is still being disputing then it sholdnt have been released I think. If your flatmate doesn't have the money yet tell the landlord you want your share directly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads