Kerri13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all, just wondering if someone can help with where I can go from here. I did an access to health course but didn’t get enough distinctions to be accepted into university. How do I get these? Do I need to do a whole new course? Or am I able to just redo some of the subjects thanks?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kerri13)
Hi all, just wondering if someone can help with where I can go from here. I did an access to health course but didn’t get enough distinctions to be accepted into university. How do I get these? Do I need to do a whole new course? Or am I able to just redo some of the subjects thanks?
What did you need and what did you get?

I found this.

Can I do an Access to HE 'top up'?
There is currently no specific Access to HE Diploma 'top up' option. However, you could approach an Access to HE provider to ask for further advice about the options available to you and work together to establish what you could do to meet the requirements of the higher education provider.

It may be that another Access to HE Diploma is the most straightforward option, and in some cases there can be credit awarded for work previously completed. However, this depends on each individual situation. The provider will be able to advise you about this. Alternatively, the provider may have suggestions regarding other courses that may be more appropriate for you, including where there are specific requirements in terms of the need for level 2 (for example, GCSE) English and mathematics.

I believe there are rules in resubmissions whilst the course is active, but not clear in what happens after.

Talk to the QAA as they will know more.

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/contact-us
Kerri13
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What did you need and what did you get?

I found this.

Can I do an Access to HE 'top up'?
There is currently no specific Access to HE Diploma 'top up' option. However, you could approach an Access to HE provider to ask for further advice about the options available to you and work together to establish what you could do to meet the requirements of the higher education provider.

It may be that another Access to HE Diploma is the most straightforward option, and in some cases there can be credit awarded for work previously completed. However, this depends on each individual situation. The provider will be able to advise you about this. Alternatively, the provider may have suggestions regarding other courses that may be more appropriate for you, including where there are specific requirements in terms of the need for level 2 (for example, GCSE) English and mathematics.

I believe there are rules in resubmissions whilst the course is active, but not clear in what happens after.

Talk to the QAA as they will know more.

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/contact-us
Hi. Thank you for your reply.

I needed to get 9 credits at merit and 21 at distinction.

I got 12 pass, 24 merit and 9 distinction.

Whilst studying the course they said we wasn’t allowed to re submit any work once it has been issued with a pass merit or distinction, meaning I couldn’t achieve a higher result if possible.

Ideally I don’t want to have to re do the whole course, I did it as a home course due to having a baby, therefore it would be easier to just do top ups if possible.

Thank you for your advice I will get in touch with the QAA.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
Hi. Thank you for your reply.

I needed to get 9 credits at merit and 21 at distinction.

I got 12 pass, 24 merit and 9 distinction.

Whilst studying the course they said we wasn’t allowed to re submit any work once it has been issued with a pass merit or distinction, meaning I couldn’t achieve a higher result if possible.

Ideally I don’t want to have to re do the whole course, I did it as a home course due to having a baby, therefore it would be easier to just do top ups if possible.

Thank you for your advice I will get in touch with the QAA.
Very close and as you already know what its like to hit D standard then you know what to do. I cant be sure but I think there was a way to submit and then them give you an idea what you might get and then resubmit or I might be mistaking with btec.

The QAA will know the rules. has your existing provider said anything? they are really the people to be negotiating with after youve talked to the QAA. Maybe transfer the distinctions and half your merits or enough or enough until you hit target? They dont say no to money.

Did you get enough support?

GL anyway and a top up would be a lot better.
Kerri13
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Very close and as you already know what its like to hit D standard then you know what to do. I cant be sure but I think there was a way to submit and then them give you an idea what you might get and then resubmit or I might be mistaking with btec.

The QAA will know the rules. has your existing provider said anything? they are really the people to be negotiating with after youve talked to the QAA. Maybe transfer the distinctions and half your merits or enough or enough until you hit target? They dont say no to money.

Did you get enough support?

GL anyway and a top up would be a lot better.
I will speak to them and see what they say. Thank you.

Support wise, I would maybe speak to someone on the phone once a week if I was lucky. They had different tutors grade the assignments every time, so not all of those where as efficient as each other, didn’t always respond to emails before deadlines etc.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
I will speak to them and see what they say. Thank you.

Support wise, I would maybe speak to someone on the phone once a week if I was lucky. They had different tutors grade the assignments every time, so not all of those where as efficient as each other, didn’t always respond to emails before deadlines etc.
I tend to advise people to do a bricks and mortar one if they can. Its a great shame that there virtually no feedback about online providers when that information could be gold to those looking for a course.

To do top up you are pretty much tied to them I think for transfer of credits plus for all their shortcomings you know what they are like. Hope you sort something out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads