?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
bump*********************
steven_shibe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if school is davenant foundation school come here great school , sick teachers, epic facilities, watch out for a guy called john darcy
JessAntonia:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It really depends what you're looking for from your sixth form. Personally I would stay where you are because the more you like a subject, the more motivated you are to do the work and will in theory get better grades. I found myself at a not very academic sixth form too but still walked out with good grades and a place at med school, which I managed through my own motivation and work ethic. So you'll do well wherever you go becuase that's down to you not how academic your environment is. However. I also chose my sixth form because of the support i would be given and the opportunities. So if you feel like the other better sixth form will provide you with a better overall experience in that kind of way then maybe that's the better choice for you. Its just about having a feel for the place and if it's giving off 'good vibes'. It really depends how you feel about each place, where are you more swayed toward?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would stay personally. If your current sixth form is still fairly good and offers you the subjects you want to do then it's worth it. Universities don't really care about which sixth form you go to, where it falls in the league tables or what Ofsted think of it. Plus I'd say English Lit is much more respected than Sociology.

(Also don't bump threads 3 times within an hour of posting)
yotsr123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JessAntonia:))
It really depends what you're looking for from your sixth form. Personally I would stay where you are because the more you like a subject, the more motivated you are to do the work and will in theory get better grades. I found myself at a not very academic sixth form too but still walked out with good grades and a place at med school, which I managed through my own motivation and work ethic. So you'll do well wherever you go becuase that's down to you not how academic your environment is. However. I also chose my sixth form because of the support i would be given and the opportunities. So if you feel like the other better sixth form will provide you with a better overall experience in that kind of way then maybe that's the better choice for you. Its just about having a feel for the place and if it's giving off 'good vibes'. It really depends how you feel about each place, where are you more swayed toward?
the good sixth form. literally the only reason i'm currently at my current one is because of english literature.
JessAntonia:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yotsr123)
the good sixth form. literally the only reason i'm currently at my current one is because of english literature.
Then I guess how important is English literature to you over all the rest of the factors? If you like the better sixth form more then go there because it’s important that you enjoy where you are as well as your subjects. Maybe try and get in touch with someone who studies or studied sociology to see what it’s like? I did psychology which I know isn’t the same but I loved it. If you’re happy with sociology it’s a bit of a no brainer!
Inspiringvisons
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by yotsr123)
URGENT
Right now I am going to an okay sixth form. The students themselves are mildly academic, the teaching is OK, but the sixth form is not really all that academic. However, since I've heard sixth form is more you than them I am prepared to work hard. The only reason I'm going to this sixth form is that it was the closest to my house and allowed me to do the subjects Biology, Psychology and English Literature.
However, I have recently been accepted into a great sixth form, known academically, outstanding from Ofsted, welcoming atmosphere, very diverse, (no everyone knows each other either which is a huge plus which will allow me to make friends easier). However there is a problem.

Psychology and English Literature are in the same option block, which means I have to choose one. I already had my sights set on bio, psych and english lit and don't really want to choose something else...
For my degree, English lit is not that important for it but it is a subject I like and I am good at. Most importantly I am interested in it as well.
However I am thinking of going to the excellent sixth form so picking sociology since I am mildly interested in it and think I will do well in it but I like English lit way more.

So now that you know the context, here's my question, should i choose the good sixth form or stay at the OK one?
It is more important to stay at the ok sixth form as your results are judged in context to the results at your sixth form .if you receive AAB at the ok sixth form it will be judged more favourably than A*AB at the really good sixth form.
besides no sixth form is worth going to if you can not do the subjects you wish to do
if you are not interested in a subject it will show in your results
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.58%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (231)
58.48%
No (138)
34.94%

Watched Threads