The Student Room Group

Maths problem

So I was doing this question: Express as products of their prime factors 160
The right answer is 2 powered by 5 x 5
This is the working out I get can someone help me and send me a picture of their own working out thanks
My working out: https://imgur.com/a/2t065oG
It is 2x2x2x2x5x2, hope this helps it has been years since I’ve done these and I think you are talking about the same things as I am. I’m sure we called them ‘prime factor trees’
image.jpg
Reply 2
[quote)(Original post by Valeriex)]It is 2x2x2x2x5x2, hope this helps it has been years since I’ve done these and I think you are talking about the same things as I am. I’m sure we called them ‘prime factor trees’
image.jpgNICE! So what were you thinking when u put 4x4 instead of 8x2 like me lol?.
Original post by ajsar
NICE! So what were you thinking when u put 4x4 instead of 8x2 like me lol?.

You're original working was on the right track with your working you just didn't go far enough. 8 wasn't prime so you should've reduced it further to 4 * 2 and then reduced the 4 to 2 * 2. Although you can reduce the 16 to 4 * 4 straight away, and use one fewer line, both solutions are valid. Just keep going till you have prime numbers only next time.
Original post by Goz Unlimited
You're original working was on the right track with your working you just didn't go far enough. 8 wasn't prime so you should've reduced it further to 4 * 2 and then reduced the 4 to 2 * 2. Although you can reduce the 16 to 4 * 4 straight away, and use one fewer line, both solutions are valid. Just keep going till you have prime numbers only next time.

Yes just what Goz said you need to keep going until all the numbers are prime numbers. I went 4x4 because that is what is easiest for me but whatever comes to you first just go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest