ScreamerOfStars
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m an international student so I’m admittedly clueless when it comes to UK supermarkets.

I was wondering, which supermarkets in York are the most affordable for groceries? Aldi, Morrisons and Tescos?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lots of students go to the Aldi in Fulford because it’s pretty cheap and, although slightly out the way, not too far at all!

There’s a Nisa (another supermarket) on campus West and East but that tends to be pretty expensive, so yeah I would say the three you name are probably the cheapest, with Aldi and Morrison’s the easiest to get to
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ScreamerOfStars)
Hi, I’m an international student so I’m admittedly clueless when it comes to UK supermarkets.

I was wondering, which supermarkets in York are the most affordable for groceries? Aldi, Morrisons and Tescos?
Aldi and Lidl are the most affordable supermarkets, but the downsides are they generally lack name-brands and I've heard some complaints about the quality of their fruit and vegetables. They have a slightly different shopping experience too - the check out line is very rushed - but they are notably cheaper than the others. There's an Aldi in Fulford, so somewhat near the uni. But if you're on Hes East, or living somewhere in second/third year that isn't Fulford, there isn't a clear route to Aldi and it might not be worth the hassle.

Asda/Morrisons/Tesco are roughly the same prices and quality (though there's some debate about it). All three also offer deliveries, unlike Aldi and Lidl. Morrisons and Asda are really close to each other, near the city centre, and can be accessed on the number 6 bus. Tesco is really far away at Clifton Moor - also accessible on the 6 bus, but only if you're willing to spend a long time on that bus. The 6 stops at Hes East but not Hes West. No idea where Sainsbury's is, but it probably fits in this category too.

Waitrose and M&S are the most expensive supermarkets. Waitrose is near Morrisons and Asda, and M&S is somewhere in the city centre I think. Some students go all their shopping at these places, but it's rare. There's also the Co-op, which isn't too cheap but isn't too posh either. The nearest one is probably on Hull Road, close to where a lot of second and third year students live.

On campus there's the Nisa shops - on Hes West, Hes East, and Halifax College. These are overpriced. I really wouldn't recommend doing a major shop here and I think people only ever go to them for convenience, but as the only 'supermarkets' on campus there isn't much of an alternative if you need to get something that isn't from a vending machine.
ScreamerOfStars
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
Lots of students go to the Aldi in Fulford because it’s pretty cheap and, although slightly out the way, not too far at all!

There’s a Nisa (another supermarket) on campus West and East but that tends to be pretty expensive, so yeah I would say the three you name are probably the cheapest, with Aldi and Morrison’s the easiest to get to
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
Aldi and Lidl are the most affordable supermarkets, but the downsides are they generally lack name-brands and I've heard some complaints about the quality of their fruit and vegetables. They have a slightly different shopping experience too - the check out line is very rushed - but they are notably cheaper than the others. There's an Aldi in Fulford, so somewhat near the uni. But if you're on Hes East, or living somewhere in second/third year that isn't Fulford, there isn't a clear route to Aldi and it might not be worth the hassle.

Asda/Morrisons/Tesco are roughly the same prices and quality (though there's some debate about it). All three also offer deliveries, unlike Aldi and Lidl. Morrisons and Asda are really close to each other, near the city centre, and can be accessed on the number 6 bus. Tesco is really far away at Clifton Moor - also accessible on the 6 bus, but only if you're willing to spend a long time on that bus. The 6 stops at Hes East but not Hes West. No idea where Sainsbury's is, but it probably fits in this category too.

Waitrose and M&S are the most expensive supermarkets. Waitrose is near Morrisons and Asda, and M&S is somewhere in the city centre I think. Some students go all their shopping at these places, but it's rare. There's also the Co-op, which isn't too cheap but isn't too posh either. The nearest one is probably on Hull Road, close to where a lot of second and third year students live.

On campus there's the Nisa shops - on Hes West, Hes East, and Halifax College. These are overpriced. I really wouldn't recommend doing a major shop here and I think people only ever go to them for convenience, but as the only 'supermarkets' on campus there isn't much of an alternative if you need to get something that isn't from a vending machine.
Thanks for the super detailed and helpful replies guys! I was quite overwhelmed so your info helped a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads