GJC8991
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi New Here,

I am due to start at Portsmouth Monday next week, based in the Eldon Building. I live at home 35 Minutes away from the Uni (by car) and needed a parking permit as public transport is non existent around me. I contacted the Parking Department about a month ago and filled in the form about my car along with proof of insurance and a cover letter.

Within a couple of days I received an email confirming they had received my application and would be in touch shortly. 2 Weeks later still nothing, so I called them. Got through to a dismissive woman who basically told me everyone has the same issue and they’ll let me know soon and put the phone down on me.

What now? Do I just pay £12 a day for the next month and park in the Isambard Brunel Car park opposite? Really isn’t the “welcoming” start I was hoping to have at the university, all I want is a space for my car for a couple of hours while I am in lectures! I saw Portsmouth offer a Park-it-Card which allows you to top up a pay as you go card which halves the cost of parking, Has anyone used one of these before?

Anyone else commute in and use the Unis Parking system?
Thanks
YeoniSmol
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! This is what I received from Portsmouth uni after my application had been received pertaining to other parking choices whilst they process your applications:

"Other parking provision in Portsmouth
Gunwharf Quays car park
Car parking at Gunwharf Quays is available for University staff/student card holders at a reduced rate of £4 per day. This arrangement is during school term times only.

Concessions can be claimed by visiting the Gunwharf Car Parking Office immediately upon arrival. On completion of an application form, you will be issued with a top-up card to be used in the Gunwharf parking machine. You will have the option to top up how much you require in advance or just use for one day."

So once you receive your ID tomorrow, go to the co sessions office in gunwharf quays car park (just as you come in to the entrance) and they'll only charge you £4 for a day ticket. :thumbsup:

I have to admit, I've also had a rude first impression of UoP during the clearing process and in general when asking questions. Kinda sucks so I'm being hopeful as to not lose spirit.

See you around campus :jiggy:
ejl37
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya,I'm a 3rd year and commute in by car too. Also had to deal with dismissive and rude woman on the phone when chasing my car park permit up! If you haven't already got your permit, keep emailing and chasing them. Portsmouth park
Erinzozo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There’s free parking in Southsea if you’re okay with walking 20 minutes to your lectures x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Portsmouth
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 9 Nov '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 30 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed