Ucl is soo inaccurate
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Amha)
Ucl is soo inaccurate
Yep, it's just for fun. Small sample sizes, and differences between courses, etc, plus individual applicant's circumstances mean it's never going to be right.
Last edited by Doones; 1 year ago
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Yep, it's just for fun. Small sample sizes, and differences between courses, etc, plus individual applicant's circumstances mean it's never going to be right.
(then why do it ....?)
PjdeP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
(then why do it ....
He says it right there "yep, it's just for fun"
TomSR
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TomSR)
Cambridge (Pembroke)
Engineering
Applied: 05/10/2018
Acknowledgement: 06/10/2018 (+SAQ)
Offer/Rejection: Attended Interview

Durham (Grey)
Engineering
Acknowledgement: 10/10/2018
Offer/Rejection: 03/12/2018 - A*AA

Warwick
Engineering
Acknowledgement: 08/10/2018
Offer/Rejection: 17/10/2018 - A*AA for MEng or AAA for BEng

ICL
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Acknowledgement: 08/10/2018
Offer/Rejection: Attended Interview

Southampton
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Acknowledgement: 06/10/2018
Offer/Rejection: 17/12/2018 - A*AA/A*A*B for MEng or AAA/A*AB for BEng
Update: Southampton
iqqraxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone heard back from Leeds today!?
auolique
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So in a bizarre turn of events, I am now applying to Durham instead of Hull. Hull essentially withdrew the course I was offered for 2019 entry and therefore I was entitled to change and I decided to give Durham a shot - I mean I have the necessary predicted grades so why not? As of now currently waiting for two decisions Oxford and Durham. I applied to St Chads College at Durham - it looked quite nice.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by auolique)
So in a bizarre turn of events, I am now applying to Durham instead of Hull. Hull essentially withdrew the course I was offered for 2019 entry and therefore I was entitled to change and I decided to give Durham a shot - I mean I have the necessary predicted grades so why not? As of now currently waiting for two decisions Oxford and Durham. I applied to St Chads College at Durham - it looked quite nice.
:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
imrana1020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very wise decision!
YugiRider2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just got an offer from Durham for E&M, even though my PS was 100% economics.
Rugbee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm intrigued. What made you apply to Oxford and then Hull, then swiftly over to Durham??
auolique
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rugbee)
I'm intrigued. What made you apply to Oxford and then Hull, then swiftly over to Durham??
Yeah it’s kinda of a weird situation. So initially applied to Oxford, Warwick, Nottingham, Queens Belfast and Hull. I applied to Hull on a recommendation of a friend and their high achievers scholarship (£4000 a year!). I had received offers from all but Oxford (obviously, I have to wait til Jan 9) but Hull out of the blue told me they were withdrawing that course which was odd because two week earlier they were advertising it an open day!! I didn’t think much of it because I wasn’t going to go there anyway. But then I thought, hang on a minute I’m entitled to my choice back. So I rang UCAS and they changed it with little difficult to Durham. So now my choices are Oxford Durham Warwick Nottingham and Queens Belfast. Waiting for Oxford and Durham but I imagine Durham will be a while lol
Rugbee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"I applied to Hull on a recommendation of a friend and their high achievers scholarship (£4000 a year!)."

That'll teach you to go running after money. Totally appreciating the mental gymnastics going on here though.

"but Hull out of the blue told me they were withdrawing that course which was odd because two week earlier they were advertising it an open day!!"

sorry, can't stop laughing! made my day.
Last edited by Rugbee; 1 year ago
laurenai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not entirely related but I just received a conditional offer from the University of York for Social and Political Sciences. (I applied on 12/12 and received acknowledgement on 13/12) But, the conditions of my offer are that I achieve 2 A's at A level and a Distinction in my BTEC which is equivalent to AAA which is above their standard offer - could anyone tell me why this might be?
Last edited by laurenai; 1 year ago
auolique
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"I applied to Hull on a recommendation of a friend and their high achievers scholarship (£4000 a year!)."

That'll teach you to go running after money. Totally appreciating the mental gymnastics going on here though.

"but Hull out of the blue told me they were withdrawing that course which was odd because two week earlier they were advertising it an open day!!"

sorry, can't stop laughing! made my day.
Honestly mate, I’m laughing at my own situation too. I should have trusted my gut and applied to Durham in the first place! My Head of Year believes it was fate that Hull never worked out...
Rugbee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly mate, I’m laughing at my own situation too. I should have trusted my gut and applied to Durham in the first place! My Head of Year believes it was fate that Hull never worked out...
Just thank your lucky stars! that was a moment of sheer madness rectified by unseen forces.
auolique
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just thank your lucky stars! that was a moment of sheer madness rectified by unseen forces.
🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
LsDad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by laurenai)
Not entirely related but I just received a conditional offer from the University of York for Social and Political Sciences. (I applied on 12/12 and received acknowledgement on 13/12) But, the conditions of my offer are that I achieve 2 A's at A level and a Distinction in my BTEC which is equivalent to AAA which is above their standard offer - could anyone tell me why this might be?
I can see where your coming from as they state AAB on the website. I guess they are treating D* as A*, D as A, M as C and are rounding the offer up rather than down but they could of offered you ABD I agree. You could phone the York admissions office, you have nothing to lose?
Don’t know anything about numbers for York or how competitive this course is but if applications are up and unfortunately based on reports I’ve seen it looks like university applications this year per se are up massively on last year, typical, then I guess they can be more selective. In your case they are clearly demanding the two A levels are at A grade but if i got that offer I would deffo call admissions, got to be worth a shot!
Really wish you well anyhow, stressful time waiting on offers, Good Luck
laurenai
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LsDad)
I can see where your coming from as they state AAB on the website. I guess they are treating D* as A*, D as A, M as C and are rounding the offer up rather than down but they could of offered you ABD I agree. You could phone the York admissions office, you have nothing to lose?
Don’t know anything about numbers for York or how competitive this course is but if applications are up and unfortunately based on reports I’ve seen it looks like university applications this year per se are up massively on last year, typical, then I guess they can be more selective. In your case they are clearly demanding the two A levels are at A grade but if i got that offer I would deffo call admissions, got to be worth a shot!
Really wish you well anyhow, stressful time waiting on offers, Good Luck
Ah thanks so much, just the fact that someone else thinks it's a little odd has put me at ease a little - so thank you! I've emailed them about the offer, but I don't think I'll get a reply since they're so busy at the moment. Do you think it's worth calling too or just holding out and waiting for a reply to my email?
imrana1020
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by laurenai)
Ah thanks so much, just the fact that someone else thinks it's a little odd has put me at ease a little - so thank you! I've emailed them about the offer, but I don't think I'll get a reply since they're so busy at the moment. Do you think it's worth calling too or just holding out and waiting for a reply to my email?
Never wait for emails, always get on the phone but be sure to get anything said on paper

Uni admissions teams can be abit deceiving sometimes
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (90)
13.95%
I'm not sure (30)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (205)
31.78%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.17%
I'm not a current university student (306)
47.44%

Watched Threads