The Student Room Group

Book of grade 9 essays

Hi,

I’m an English teacher thinking of publishing a series of books each containing 25 grade 9 essays on a GCSE set text (written by myself). These would be for sale on Amazon in both paperback and ebook format.

I’m thinking of starting with the following titles:

25 Grade 9 Essays on Macbeth
25 Grade 9 Essays on Romeo and Juliet
25 Grade 9 Essays on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
25 Grade 9 Essays on An Inspector Calls

Do you think there is a market for these books? If so, how much do you think I should sell them for?
maybe, but personally id rather take advice from professional authors that tell you what to write rather than just reading essays, as those answers are only relevant if thats the quesiton your answering in the exam which is obviously unlikely. if you annotate them saying what you did and how it got you marks id say that would be very helpful, but i think for it to work you would need to focus more on exam technique rather than relevance to the question as people need to learn skills from that essay that can be applied to a completely differnet question
Reply 2
Thanks, Gent - that’s really helpful. I could definitely add accompanying notes to each essay explaining how full marks were achieved. I could also add exam technique advice.
Reply 3
i would 100% purchase these if they had a sidebar with it annotated, explaining where the marks were gained and structural techniques etc that seperates that grade 9 student from a grade 7/8 student.

as for the price, possibly £5.99- £6.99 per book?

it'd be reasonably competitive at that price and there's a huge market for it at the moment.
Reply 4
There is a market for these books, albeit they also contain annotations regarding exam technique (like Gent2324 suggested). I agree with the price range stated above between £5.99 and £6.99 per book.

In my opinion, this is a brilliant idea. I just think you need to add extra information on exam technique, and you'll definitely gain a few people's interests with these. I definitely would have bought some of them (I never actually saw what a true grade 9 essay looked like). I believe looking at the standard of one might have bolstered my mark a little.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending