randomsheep11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm looking at science related degrees at the moment, as I need to apply to UCAS later this term. However I must ask, are years in industry highly preferable? For example, if I were to do a Bsc in something like Chemistry or Pharmacology, would I be at a disadvantage if I went to a University that doesn't do a placement year? What if it's a more research based (Russel Group) University? Does that make up for it?

I'd love to read anyone's: insight, personal experiences or even information you have heard from others.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by randomsheep11)
Hi, I'm looking at science related degrees at the moment, as I need to apply to UCAS later this term. However I must ask, are years in industry highly preferable? For example, if I were to do a Bsc in something like Chemistry or Pharmacology, would I be at a disadvantage if I went to a University that doesn't do a placement year? What if it's a more research based (Russel Group) University? Does that make up for it?

I'd love to read anyone's: insight, personal experiences or even information you have heard from others.
Russell group means little unless you are a PhD student or above.

If you plan to go into research a year in industry is highly preferable and you will be at a disadvantage compared to a candidate who has that experience.
randomsheep11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Russell group means little unless you are a PhD student or above.

If you plan to go into research a year in industry is highly preferable and you will be at a disadvantage compared to a candidate who has that experience.
Oh I see, I guess I'll try to get onto a course which would provide this. Thank you for replying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads