Should I get a contraceptive implant before uni [while a virgin]?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I wanted to be prepared and get some type of contraception before moving away and being surrounded with lots of bois around lots of corners. My friend started uni the other week and admitted to me that she just had a one night stand without any protecc. My sister disappointed the parents when she got preggo instead of going to uni. All my old friends literally all have 2 year old babies right now, and not that i look down on them but i just really don't want any mistake babies (i could never abort). Now i am terrified of babies and really don't want one.
I am an actual virgin and have never so much caught sight of a boi. I feel like i wanna try more with relationships when i go to uni next week and don't intend to be stupid and rush into anything or be easy or foolish but i understand that mistakes can happen. I could be drunk or spiked..
Has any female here had a contraceptive implant?? How did you get it? I am confused if i call up a sex clinic or just my gp? Did they ask for any personal info or just pop it right in ur arm, no questions? I am worried they will get me to admit i am a virgin then shame me for acting like i think imma get some. Do you recommend one? Have you experienced negative side effects??

thnx
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wanted to be prepared and get some type of contraception before moving away and being surrounded with lots of bois around lots of corners. My friend started uni the other week and admitted to me that she just had a one night stand without any protecc. My sister disappointed the parents when she got preggo instead of going to uni. All my old friends literally all have 2 year old babies right now, and not that i look down on them but i just really don't want any mistake babies (i could never abort). Now i am terrified of babies and really don't want one.
I am an actual virgin and have never so much caught sight of a boi. I feel like i wanna try more with relationships when i go to uni next week and don't intend to be stupid and rush into anything or be easy or foolish but i understand that mistakes can happen. I could be drunk or spiked..
Has any female here had a contraceptive implant?? How did you get it? I am confused if i call up a sex clinic or just my gp? Did they ask for any personal info or just pop it right in ur arm, no questions? I am worried they will get me to admit i am a virgin then shame me for acting like i think imma get some. Do you recommend one? Have you experienced negative side effects??

thnx
If you're calling them "bois" then I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. :lol:

Jokes aside, there's no harm in getting one, especially if you're against abortion and there could be any risk of accidental pregnancies. They last years and you don't have to worry about remembering to take the pill.

I haven't noticed side effects with mine, it just stopped my periods. I got it from the GP both times and they just ask if there's any risk that you're already pregnant, then give you some info about the implant. They won't shame you and they won't ask what your future sexual plans are either. I would recommend it and again, it wouldn't hurt to have one so you know you're protected from pregnancy.
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The advice which is normally given around here is: If you never had game before uni you, it won't magically come to you at uni.
Since you're a female this doesn't apply to you, so if you're looking to get the implant go ahead.

I'm not actually a female, but I read an article so this will make me an expert.

-Has any female here had a contraceptive implant?? Others probably have but as a male, I haven't.
-How did you get it? See above
-I am confused if i call up a sex clinic or just my gp? Go see your GP
-Did they ask for any personal info or just pop it right in ur arm, no questions? See 2 above
-I am worried they will get me to admit i am a virgin then shame me for acting like i think imma get some. Do you recommend one? Nobody is going to shame you. I doubt they'll even ask you if you're sexually active.
-Have you experienced negative side effects?? See 2 above.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago

thnx
I'm due to getting my second implant removed. I think it's a great choice and it also made my period stop. There is hardly any scar. They only asked me if I was CURRENTLY sexual active which I was not (still a virgin so I get what you mean). They should not be allowed to ask about whether you are still a virgin or not. I got mine at the medical practice where all the university students are registered. Ask the receptionist at your GP. Please be aware that you can still catch HIV and STIs from not using condoms. The implant won't protect against that.
Anonymous #1
I'm due to getting my second implant removed. I think it's a great choice and it also made my period stop. There is hardly any scar. They only asked me if I was CURRENTLY sexual active which I was not (still a virgin so I get what you mean). They should not be allowed to ask about whether you are still a virgin or not. I got mine at the medical practice where all the university students are registered. Ask the receptionist at your GP. Please be aware that you can still catch HIV and STIs from not using condoms. The implant won't protect against that.
Thank you for the useful info. May i also ask: did they just give you the implant there and then at the doctors appointment?? Or did the doc refer you to another doc/nurse who did it days or a week or a time after?
Amy06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My GP surgery isn't great so while they fit implants I went to a sexual health/contraceptive clinic instead because they were more trained and wouldn't insert it wrong

It was straightforward they asked if I was currently sexually active I said yes, did a pregnancy test to be sure then they just took my medical history(gotts make sure you're not at risk of blood clots, or visual migraines ect) then provided you're safe to get it they can pop it in same appointment

Me and my partner only see each other a week every month because I'm at college at home so I love it I don't have to pointlessly remember a pill while i'm busy and I feel safe and covered always x
anniekeshler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

thnx
You ain't making all this up right?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Elektra06)
My GP surgery isn't great so while they fit implants I went to a sexual health/contraceptive clinic instead because they were more trained and wouldn't insert it wrong

It was straightforward they asked if I was currently sexually active I said yes, did a pregnancy test to be sure then they just took my medical history(gotts make sure you're not at risk of blood clots, or visual migraines ect) then provided you're safe to get it they can pop it in same appointment

Me and my partner only see each other a week every month because I'm at college at home so I love it I don't have to pointlessly remember a pill while i'm busy and I feel safe and covered always x
Thanks you for the reply, very helpful
Anonymous #1
(Original post by anniekeshler)
You ain't making all this up right?
I am not. What makes you think so?
Anonymous #3
Report 2 years ago
muslim?
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No just keep your virginity till u meet your special husband don't be a sheep and follow the crowd
FloraLaura
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can never be too safe. My mum gave my twin and I condoms before we went to uni and I was on the pill (however I'm not a virgin and my twin is). I would advise using condoms too, because of STIs, you don't want them. Trust me, the tests for them aren't pleasant either, nor is having an STI. I've only had to take the tests for them since my ex cheated on me.

I'm on the implant now, and it's great. Saves worrying about condoms breaking or the pill not working. I am in a long term relationship though, and my current bf won't cheat (he's lovely).
Anonymous #1
muslim?
no. agnostic
victoria.ag2001
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not about being a sheep. It's about how you feel comfortable expressing your love. Whether you lose it at 16 or 45, it doesn't matter. Leave your conservative view in 2018 please🙄
Sm14055
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When going in they will ask you many questions but only for you’re safety. They won’t shame you, they will give you many other options to choose from but if this is what you want to get then they will give you info about it as well. But they will definitely ask you if you are sexually active, and if you were a virgin as well as if your partner or person you did it with was a virgin. If your partner wasn’t they will get you to have a couple of tests but otherwise if they aren’t no tests/swabs will be taken.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (41)
37.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
8.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
3.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
26.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (17)
15.45%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
9.09%

Watched Threads