The Student Room Group

Chemistry at Oxford Application advice

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by georgew9828
Hi,
I'm looking to apply for chemistry at oxford within the coming weeks. I am a capable student and i'm studying chem, phys, maths and further maths. Further is at AS only

I'm doing a MOOC course currently along with researching a little into nuclear chemistry and writing an essay about what I learn/find out to increase the look of my application. I also enjoy looking into other aspects of this subject too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should be looking into, such as further reading options. Or maybe someone who was successful in their application could help me out.

I'm predicted A*A*A* and A in further maths(AS).
Any help is really appreciated :smile:
Watch some lectures about Chemistry on You Tube. These will a) help you understand the step up from A levels to University level study and b) show you are starting to move beyond just your A level syllabus. Don't explain the entire lecture in your PS - just mention that you found a particular theory or approach within it interesting/intriguing etc.

(Source)
Hi,
I'm looking to apply for chemistry at oxford within the coming weeks. I am a capable student and i'm studying chem, phys, maths and further maths. Further is at AS only

I'm doing a MOOC course currently along with researching a little into nuclear chemistry and writing an essay about what I learn/find out to increase the look of my application. I also enjoy looking into other aspects of this subject too.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should be looking into, such as further reading options. Or maybe someone who was successful in their application could help me out.

I'm predicted A*A*A* and A in further maths(AS).
Any help is really appreciated :smile:

Remember to book in to take the admissions test, I read 'Why chemical reactions happen' which is read by a lot of people applying to Oxford for chemistry
Reply 3
Original post by MexicanKeith
Remember to book in to take the admissions test, I read 'Why chemical reactions happen' which is read by a lot of people applying to Oxford for chemistry

Thanks for this suggestion. What does this book cover overall?
Thanks for this suggestion. What does this book cover overall?

It covers a broad range of topics, building on some a level ideas, if I remember correctly it starts with some physical principles that underpin chemistry (ie thermodynamics, electrostatics, quantum mechanics (kind of)). It goes on to look at how these principles can be used to understand reactivity.

It was specifically written by James Keeler and Peter Wothers to be pre university reading and if you get a good understanding of the ideas it discusses then you'll be in a good place in terms of discussions at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending