The Student Room Group

Self Study Maths A Level Guidance Please?

Hello I will be studying Maths in my spare time as I enjoy it.

I intend to train myself to A-level standard so I have something to work towards, though if I ever actually go for the qualification or not I am unsure.

So in effect I am doing this for enjoyment and self improvement...

Seeing as maths is a hierarchical subject I'm finding it difficult to know where to begin. I'm wondering if any of you more knowledable than myself could provide a sequence of A-level maths topics in the order that you think best to learn them?

Thank you for any help :smile:
does it matter if it is old/new spec because i did the old spec
Reply 2
(Original post by Fakbarpoor)does it matter if it is old/new spec because i did the old spec

No I would appreciate any help!
Reply 3
Original post by Welcomeibis

I intend to train myself to A-level standard so I have something to work towards, though if I ever actually go for the qualification or not I am unsure.

Seeing as maths is a hierarchical subject I'm finding it difficult to know where to begin. I'm wondering if any of you more knowledable than myself could provide a sequence of A-level maths topics in the order that you think best to learn them?

Get the textbook and the specification. if you struggle get tutor. I did this to self learn further math
Original post by Welcomeibis

Buy a maths A level text book and work through it from beginning to end. They are generally organised to ensure you learn in a logical order. I suggest a text book as it will provide lots of practice exercises and as you are not constrained by an exam deadline you would be able to benefit from loads of practice. I would start with the pure maths content only. Alternatively, work through the pure maths content in the order given on the www.examsolutions.net web site.
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
Buy a maths A level text book and work through it from beginning to end. They are generally organised to ensure you learn in a logical order. I suggest a text book as it will provide lots of practice exercises and as you are not constrained by an exam deadline you would be able to benefit from loads of practice. I would start with the pure maths content only. Alternatively, work through the pure maths content in the order given on the www.examsolutions.net web site.

When it comes to examsolutions.net what exam board shall I go with? Seeing as I'm not sure if I will actually be sitting the exam. Is there one that is better or are they largely the same? I suppose I would have to decide when it comes to A text book as well
My suggestion would be EDEXCEL simply because more candidates do that than any other so
1. You’ll have more chance of finding others online doing the same discussing text book questions and recent exam papers
2. More free resources float around for them than others e.g. madasmaths
3. More centres offer the exams if you choose to take them

Enjoy your study
Practise, practise, practise

Quick Reply

Latest