Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) 2019 applicants chat thread and FAQ Watch

Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello!

Welcome to our thread where you can ask us any questions you have about living as a student in Sheffield or to know more about our courses. Start your discussion and we’ll join in with suggestions and answers too.

Reply below with your answers:

What course will you be applying for?
Where else are you thinking of applying to?
How are you feeling about starting uni?

Bridget and Helen (Official Sheffield Hallam reps)

Site edit: Click here to subscribe and add the Sheffield Hallam forum to your homepage, so you don't miss new posts >>
Last edited by Puddles the Monkey; 7 months ago
cscottlees
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I'm thinking of applying for Advertising and Brand Management to start next year. I've booked to attend the open day on the 7th. I'm from Manchester so I'm also considering MMU as an option. Is there anyone that does this course at Hallam or a Marketing related course? I'd just like to gain a little more insight into the course and the department!

Thanks in advance
Rep:
?
Hey cscottlees

Sounds great! I hope you enjoy the open day. This course at Hallam is the most related: https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/market...full-time/2018

Would you like some more information about this course? One of my colleagues recently did this course at Hallam so could give you an idea about it.

Thanks,
Bridget
cscottlees
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
Hey cscottlees

Sounds great! I hope you enjoy the open day. This course at Hallam is the most related: https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/market...full-time/2018

Would you like some more information about this course? One of my colleagues recently did this course at Hallam so could give you an idea about it.

Thanks,
Bridget
Hi Bridget,

That would be great if your colleague could!

Thanks so much
Rep:
?
Hey cscottlees

No problem. Here is her write up:

Yuvini Hettiarachchi
Marketing Communications and Advertising graduate

Best thing about the course
The best part about studying at Sheffield Hallam University was being taught by such enthusiastic and inspiring lecturers and seminar tutors. My tutors were always full of energy and passion, and they always paired course material to their experience of working in the industry, giving us an insight into challenges in the industry. This really helped us understand the course content better and helped us come up with creative solutions for real-life problems. Another great aspect of my course was getting the opportunity to take a paid year long work placement. Going on placement really prepared me to life after graduation and helped me stand out as a candidate. The employees were always impressed by my experience and the work that I undertook on my placement was a great conversation point for interviews.

Why would you recommend this course?
I recommend this course at Sheffield Hallam University as it has developed my skills and knowledge and prepared me to work in the exciting realm of marketing communications and advertising. The course content was intellectually stimulating and the modules enabled me to work on a number of projects that involved developing and co-ordinating marketing campaigns and strategies from the idea stage through to execution and delivery, across a full marketing mix. This was particularly useful when applying for jobs after graduation as employers were always interested in the learning about the projects I worked on in university and my experience of tackling challenges and generating creative solutions.

Biggest thing you’ve learnt
The biggest thing I've learnt whilst studying at Sheffield Hallam is that there are so many opportunities for students to get involved and make a difference. Getting involved in various extra-curricular activities whilst in university, such as undertaking the role of the President of the Sheffield Hallam Marketing Society gave me the opportunity of attending CIM events and networking with industry experts, helping me gain an insight into the world of employment.

Typical day on this course
A typical day on the Marketing Communications and Advertising course involves an engaging lecture usually followed by a seminar where we get to apply what we learnt in the classroom to an array of brands and companies, generating workable solutions. During the breaks between classes my friends and I normally grab a coffee and work on our group work or engage in independent study in the library.

What you want to do after studying
My First Class Honours Degree in Marketing Communications and Advertising at Sheffield Hallam University along with the experience I gained through my paid one year work placement has shaped my career goals and has inspired me to focus on creating integrated marketing campaigns for a Higher Education Institution.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Bridget
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bsc Paramedic science hopefully. Fingers crossed as it is competitive one😀😫.
Rep:
?
That's great- are you looking forward to it? Good luck with the application and let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks
Reanne and Bridget
CC_OT
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What course will you be applying for? Occupational Therapy
Where else are you thinking of applying to? Essex, UEA, Worcester and Plymouth
How are you feeling about starting uni? Can't wait! I'm a mature student, and I'm looking to change careers...
Rep:
?
(Original post by CC_OT)
What course will you be applying for? Occupational Therapy
Where else are you thinking of applying to? Essex, UEA, Worcester and Plymouth
How are you feeling about starting uni? Can't wait! I'm a mature student, and I'm looking to change careers...
That's great CC_OT! What made you choose Occupational Therapy?

Reanne
EllieWellieSim
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi
I've applied for Business and Financial Management
I've also applied to Uni of Leeds, Huddersfield, and Exeter
& I'm feeling pretty excited about starting uni
Rep:
?
(Original post by EllieWellieSim)
Hi
I've applied for Business and Financial Management
I've also applied to Uni of Leeds, Huddersfield, and Exeter
& I'm feeling pretty excited about starting uni
Amazing EllieWellieSim!

Let us know if you have any questions about the course

Reanne
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
Am looking forward. Hallam is the only university I’ve applied.
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0770)
Hi,
Am looking forward. Hallam is the only university I’ve applied.
Great stuff. If you have any questions about your course or uni life in general then let us know!

Thanks
Reanne & Bridget
Annasmerchant
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

I'm appplying to study striaght Business Studies at Hallam

Also applying to: Salford (x2), Liverpool, MMU
Predicted Grades: ABC - hopefully will be bumped to ABB

Really hope to get into Hallam, love Sheffield!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Annasmerchant)
Hi!

I'm appplying to study striaght Business Studies at Hallam

Also applying to: Salford (x2), Liverpool, MMU
Predicted Grades: ABC - hopefully will be bumped to ABB

Really hope to get into Hallam, love Sheffield!
Great! It's nice to hear that you love the city, what do you love about Sheffield?

Let us know if you have any questions about the course or Hallam Annasmerchant!

Reanne
rafakl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hoping to apply for diagnostic radiography!
hannaleigh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Where else are you thinking of applying to? sheffield hallam uni
How are you feeling about starting uni? this will be my second undergrad degree! really excited
(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)Hello!

Welcome to our thread where you can ask us any questions you have about living as a student in Sheffield or to know more about our courses. Start your discussion and we’ll join in with suggestions and answers too.

Reply below with your answers:

What course will you be applying for?
Where else are you thinking of applying to?
How are you feeling about starting uni?

Bridget and Reanne (Official Sheffield Hallam reps)
What course will you be applying for? I was thinking of applying for midwifey and nursing.
Does anyone know how many people are allowed onto the midwifery course? I am wanting to apply to nursing as a back-up if i am not sucessful? is it worth applying first for midwifery and if i wasnt accepeted then apply for nursing? or both?
Where else are you thinking of applying to? sheffield hallam uni
How are you feeling about starting uni? this will be my second undergrad degree! really excited
Rep:
?
Hey hannaleigh

That's exciting! What made you decide to go down the midwifery/nursing route?

I've spoken to the course leader for midwifery and will get back to you soon with your other questions!

Thanks
Bridget
hannaleigh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey hannaleigh

That's exciting! What made you decide to go down the midwifery/nursing route?

I've spoken to the course leader for midwifery and will get back to you soon with your other questions!

Thanks
Bridget
Thankyou!
I' feel like it would be an extremly rewarding job to do.
also i had another quesition, if i was to get rejected can i then apply through clearing for another course (nursing) at the same uni?
Rep:
?
Hi hannaleigh

Yeah it must be a very rewarding profession!

If you were rejected for midwifery, then you will be automatically offered a nursing course as an alternative, most likely Adult nursing. If you want any more specific information about applying then call admissions on 0114 225 5555 and ask to be put through to admissions.

I'll be in touch soon re. answers from the course leader.

Thanks
Bridget
Last edited by Sheffield Hallam University; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads