The Student Room Group

Care assistant or healthcare assistant?

I’m currently looking for employment in the healthcare sector to enhance my application for Medicine and to gain experience and knowledge in the healthcare field.
I have been offered a job as a care assistant but I was wondering whether to decline the offer and wait for a healthcare assistant position (with no prior experience) to become available.
I’m struggling to see any HCA jobs that accept applications from someone with no experience so should I try to do 6 months as a CA then 6 -12 months HCA?
Would I gain much knowledge from being a CA? Would it look ok on my application or not worth the time??
Any advice is appreciated
It doesn’t matter daughter had 4 offers this year and had no hospital or shadowing experience. Worked in a school as a classroom assistant whilst on gap year. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Popeye_ukuk
It doesn’t matter daughter had 4 offers this year and had no hospital or shadowing experience. Worked in a school as a classroom assistant whilst on gap year. Hope this helps.

4 offers, wow! That’s incredible, congratulations to her! Thank you for your advice
how do you apply to be a HCA if you have no previous experience?x
Original post by gracehwd
4 offers, wow! That’s incredible, congratulations to her! Thank you for your advice

It’s what you learn from your experience ie communication styles, resolving, planning and preparing etc. Quite basic requirements needed to be a medic but doesnt need to be in a hospital environment. Could even be a shop assistant. Good luck also
Original post by Volibear
It's a caring role. It would be fine and ultimately it's how you reflect on the experience that counts. And also remember that work experience should be a learning experience for you too, not just something to tick a box on your application.

It's possible. But it usually helps if you have experience working with people in one way or another. I recently was offered a job as a TSW and I got it because of the experiences I've had (volunteering in a hospice and psychiatric hospital) even though neither were real 'hands-on jobs'. I only applied to HCA jobs that didn't specifically say they looked for people who were experience/already had related qualifications.

Thank you for replying :smile:
I’ve done volunteering in a care home and also did work experience in a GP practice and hospital, do you think this will be enough?
Also what does TSW mean if you don’t mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending