How to answer this question ?

Watch this thread
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Using The improper fractions method

Name:  16E5B034-659D-4E2C-9BC9-831E8116352C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  18.6 KB
username3890778
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Notnek Missradioactive the improper fractions method pls
username4036292
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Sis, everything is the same as before, just turn that 9/3 to 3 because 9 divided by 3 is 3, which I'd forgotten to mention
(your book wanted a whole number + fraction)

Which part are you confused on ? Tell me particularly which part is the exact reason that this question is confusing you.

And calm down, it's okay :hugs:

I understand, when you don't get proper solution to a Math problem, it's easy to get frustrated. But doing that will confuse you even more. So it's better to take some deep breaths first
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
Using The improper fractions method

Name:  16E5B034-659D-4E2C-9BC9-831E8116352C.jpg.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  18.6 KB
That's really hard to see but I'm guessing it's the same as your last question:

\displaystyle 3 \frac{2}{3} + 1 \frac{4}{5}

So the first thing you need to do is change both of those mixed numbers into improper fractions.

The way to do that for 3 \frac{2}{3} is to multiply the whole number which is the number on the left (3) by the denominator of the fraction on the right (3) then add on the numerator (2) so this gives 3 x 3 + 2 = 11.

Then you put that over the same denominator as before (3) so you get

\dfrac{11}{3}

Try doing the same with the other mixed number, 1 \frac{4}{5} and please post what you get.
username3890778
Rep:
(Original post by Notnek)
That's really hard to see but I'm guessing it's the same as your last question:

\displaystyle 3 \frac{2}{3} + 1 \frac{4}{5}

So the first thing you need to do is change both of those mixed numbers into improper fractions.

The way to do that for 3 \frac{2}{3} is to multiply the whole number which is the number on the left (3) by the denominator of the fraction on the right (3) then add on the numerator (2) so this gives 3 x 3 + 2 = 11.

Then you put that over the same denominator as before (3) so you get

\dfrac{11}{3}

Try doing the same with the other mixed number, 1 \frac{4}{5} and please post what you get.
Name:  9709BCB8-CE90-424C-9987-2729D77554C7.jpg.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  13.3 KB
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Name:  9709BCB8-CE90-424C-9987-2729D77554C7.jpg.jpeg
Size:  13.3 KB
Perfect, so now you have

\displaystyle \frac{11}{3} + \frac{9}{5}

The question has changed into, "how do you add two fractions together?". Do you have any ideas how to do this? I'm thinking you've probably done it before. If you have no idea then we can guide you through it but if you have some idea please have a go and post what you've tried.
username3890778
Rep:
Perfect, so now you have

\displaystyle \frac{11}{3} + \frac{9}{5}

The question has changed into, "how do you add two fractions together?". Do you have any ideas how to do this? I'm thinking you've probably done it before. If you have no idea then we can guide you through it but if you have some idea please have a go and post what you've tried.
No I don’t have any idea
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No I don’t have any idea
Okay no problem. I recommend watching a video on this because explaining a whole topic like this online could be tricky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalcQLW6MWE

If you watch the first two mins of this videos he takes you through a similar example to your question. So try watching that and then have a go at your question. If there's anything in the video that you don't understand then please let us know.
username3890778
Rep:
Okay no problem. I recommend watching a video on this because explaining a whole topic like this online could be tricky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalcQLW6MWE

If you watch the first two mins of this videos he takes you through a similar example to your question. So try watching that and then have a go at your question. If there's anything in the video that you don't understand then please let us know.
This is what I got
Name:  55D02A26-EA5E-4157-A552-6C5DFAD1C1FA.jpg.jpeg
Size:  14.1 KB
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
This is what I got
Name:  55D02A26-EA5E-4157-A552-6C5DFAD1C1FA.jpg.jpeg
Size:  14.1 KB
Correct Now there's one final step - you need to convert that back into a mixed number (you may not always have to do this but in this question it asks for the answer as a mixed number).

I don't know if you know how to do this. If you don't then I recommend a video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqxjP3lYHiQ
username3890778
Rep:
Correct Now there's one final step - you need to convert that back into a mixed number (you may not always have to do this but in this question it asks for the answer as a mixed number).

I don't know if you know how to do this. If you don't then I recommend a video again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqxjP3lYHiQ
I don’t get the video. I have to divide 82 by 15 but the has a decimal point
username3890778
Rep:
I don’t unfortunately
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I don’t get the video. I have to divide 82 by 15 but the has a decimal point
Don’t use a calculator. You need to work out how many 15s go into 82. It doesn’t go in exactly so there will be a remainder i.e. a bit left over.

E.g. if I asked you how many 15s go into 33 then the answer is 2 (to give you 30) but with a remainder of 3.
username3890778
Rep:
Don’t use a calculator. You need to work out how many 15s go into 82. It doesn’t go in exactly so there will be a remainder i.e. a bit left over.

E.g. if I asked you how many 15s go into 33 then the answer is 2 (to give you 30) but with a remainder of 3.
It goes in 5 times with a remainder of 7?
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It goes in 5 times with a remainder of 7?
That’s correct. Can you now follow the method to finish the question?
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi, thanks for helping but posting a full solution like this really doesn’t help a student who needs help with every part of the method. They need guidance on how to tackle each part.

Plus posting full solutions is against the rules of this forum. I hope you understand and continue to help in maths
username3890778
Rep:
That’s correct. Can you now follow the method to finish the question?
5 7/15
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
5 7/15
Yes that's right - it took a while but you got there in the end! It's probably worth trying a few similar questions and see if you can apply the same methods. Can I ask what year you're in?
username3890778
Rep:
Yes that's right - it took a while but you got there in the end! It's probably worth trying a few similar questions and see if you can apply the same methods. Can I ask what year you're in?
yeah I’ll do a couple more. But there are ones with subtraction .

year 13. but my understanding of maths is just bad
hujikolp
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
yeah I’ll do a couple more. But there are ones with subtraction .

year 13. but my understanding of maths is just bad
Are u resitting maths ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.27%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (37)
35.58%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.77%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.92%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.62%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.27%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.73%

Watched Threads