Lordtangent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
.Hello
I got A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry A-levels and Distinction in AEA Mathematics this June, and will be going to UCL this fall. A week ago I applied to Nomura's 2019 explore Nomura program. Didn't even pass the online test. So clearly I am dumb as **** and stand no chance of being accepted by any decent IB. However, I still get pretty decent (sorry if I seem to be conceited) A-level grades. Hence if even someone like me, as dim as a pig, get these A-levels, then what's the meaning of A-levels as the selection of the best and brightest of the country?
Lordtangent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Any opinions on this?
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
stop being an entitled clown?

not sure what you're complaining about..

Posted from TSR Mobile
omarathon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Our syllabus is different to other countrys' syllabuses. Obviously there's going to be content you lack. The same goes for them applying to the UK.
poohead23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lordtangent)
.Hello
I got A*A*A*A in Maths, FM, Physics and Chemistry A-levels and Distinction in AEA Mathematics this June, and will be going to UCL this fall. A week ago I applied to Nomura's 2019 explore Nomura program. Didn't even pass the online test. So clearly I am dumb as **** and stand no chance of being accepted by any decent IB. However, I still get pretty decent (sorry if I seem to be conceited) A-level grades. Hence if even someone like me, as dim as a pig, get these A-levels, then what's the meaning of A-levels as the selection of the best and brightest of the country?
You clearly put a lot of effort and hard work into your a-level grades, perhaps you should use that work ethic on making a good application to spring weeks, instead of thinking you are going to automatically receive one because of your a-level grades and uni?
Teenage Hype
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buddy...

There is a correlation between academics and employability, but that stops there - unfortunately tests are mandatory to pass, as well as a solid CV, a good personality/work-fit as well as technical knowledge.

You won't walk into JP Morgan with a first in Mechanical Engineering. I learned this the hard way, think top 3 uni, finance related course, rejected for 10 spring weeks.
Fortunately, you take what you can get, and I landed a summer internship in financial compliance and a spring insight in asset management. Separate internships with studying, most banks won't give af what grade you have as long as it's a 2:1/First.

Play the game, and know the system.
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Teenage Hype)
Buddy...

There is a correlation between academics and employability, but that stops there - unfortunately tests are mandatory to pass, as well as a solid CV, a good personality/work-fit as well as technical knowledge.

You won't walk into JP Morgan with a first in Mechanical Engineering. I learned this the hard way, think top 3 uni, finance related course, rejected for 10 spring weeks.
Fortunately, you take what you can get, and I landed a summer internship in financial compliance and a spring insight in asset management. Separate internships with studying, most banks won't give af what grade you have as long as it's a 2:1/First.

Play the game, and know the system.
Last line pretty much summarises what you need to do to be successful in 99% of any desirable career paths in busines or finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zaporizhia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
.Hello
Lol, maybe those were GCSEs you took
Teenage Hype
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Last line pretty much summarises what you need to do to be successful in 99% of any desirable career paths in busines or finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha right on my dude

Always been a fan of your posts, may I ask what and where you're studying? And how was last year in terms of springs?

I recently got my **** together with learning how internships work, inevitably too late for springs!
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
There is truth to this, I've gotten straight As and a*s throughout school yet I'm genuinely thick. :lol: luckily, working hard does pay off sometimes!
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Teenage Hype)
Haha right on my dude

Always been a fan of your posts, may I ask what and where you're studying? And how was last year in terms of springs?

I recently got my **** together with learning how internships work, inevitably too late for springs!
maths&cs at exeter. got a spring at an elite boutique and just came off of a summer doing quant stuff in the investment management world.

everyone goes at their own pace man. in 2017 i was rejected everywhere and was not at the best of universities. just gotta keep playing the game and grinding!

Posted from TSR Mobile
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So you’re trying to say everyone on TSR is actually dumb? You’re in for a bad time from some of these users...
Teenage Hype
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
maths&cs at exeter. got a spring at an elite boutique and just came off of a summer doing quant stuff in the investment management world.

everyone goes at their own pace man. in 2017 i was rejected everywhere and was not at the best of universities. just gotta keep playing the game and grinding!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice one bro, good stuff!

I wholeheartedly vouch taking your time with this career stuff, and making sure that you're doing a degree programme which you enjoy and can secure a 2:1 without too much difficulty!

Nearly considered switching but I'm sticking with Economics at a target, think top London uni, just need to grind apps and study for a decent grade

How are AM internship competitiveness looking for 2019? I've heard they're less competitive, but also heard that there are far less places?
username1562597
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
.Hello
Not all online tests are created equal.

I applied for Macquarie's technology analyst position and I was given an incredibly hard test which had accounting questions on; I didn't even understand what some of the questions were asking. I applied for BAE Systems and got a very easy test that literally only involved me reading numbers off the screen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
6.57%
They might tell the bully (22)
10.33%
I don't think they'd understand (36)
16.9%
It might lead to more bullying (74)
34.74%
There's nothing they could do (67)
31.46%

Watched Threads