The Student Room Group

Is 67.2 a good average for second year?

Hi everyone,

I recently got my second year results after the August exams - 67.2 average. Is this good? My final year counts for 60% and second year counted for 40%. Can I still get a first?
Reply 1
Do people's marks improve more in final year? I'd probably need to average about 72 in my final year to get a first overall.
What are you going to do if people says its rubbish?

A first is 69.5, so you tell me whether its above or below average?

I refuse to believe your maths is so rubbish.
Reply 3
I'm assuming the grade boundary for a first is 70%. You can definitely get a first if that's the case. You'll need to get a 75% average to get a first overall. It's doable.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
What are you going to do if people says its rubbish?

A first is 69.5, so you tell me whether its above or below average?

I refuse to believe your maths is so rubbish.

I study a humanities based subject. I tried so hard for a first, yet I just haven't been able to get over the 68 threshold on my essays. My exams were both firsts this year. I just find it so frustrating that I am finding it hard to break the 68 threshold in my essays.
Original post by katf
I'm assuming the grade boundary for a first is 70%. You can definitely get a first if that's the case. You'll need to get a 75% average to get a first overall. It's doable.

How did you get 75%?
Original post by Anonymous
I study a humanities based subject. I tried so hard for a first, yet I just haven't been able to get over the 68 threshold on my essays. My exams were both firsts this year. I just find it so frustrating that I am finding it hard to break the 68 threshold in my essays.

Talk to your tutors.
Read some books.
You might just be missing some originality.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
How did you get 75%?

Working on an assumption that you need 70% to get a first, because it's about that and it's a nice round number, you divide 67 by 10 and multiply by 4. That equals 27% of the needed 70% achieved. That means there's 43% left. Multiply by 10 and divide by 6 and you get 72%. I think the 5 was a typo, on the numeric keypad it's just below 2. Still, 75% gives some wiggle room and gets a strong 1st.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by katf
Working on an assumption that you need 70% to get a first, because it's about that and it's a nice round number, you divide 67 by 10 and multiply by 4. That equals 27% of the needed 70% achieved. That means there's 43% left. Multiply by 10 and divide by 3 and you get 72%. I think the 5 was a typo, on the numeric keypad it's just below 2. Still, 75% gives some wiggle room and gets a strong 1st.

I just too 2/3 of the difference between their current score and 69.5 and added it on. very % counts when you are at those heady heights.

Still if the op gets their act together then they could be getting much higher and then could be reassured they are good.
It has to be at least 67.3 to be considered respectable.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
67.5 is extremely good place to be heading into third year....

You don't have to have a first, no one is going to pay you more for 72.5 vs 66.5 likely.

Just make sure you dont bomb and stay focussed, if the first is achieved its a bonus not a requirement!
All my end of year grades were basically around the same mark (68-70), but usually people do improve. Granted my overall degree mark was 69.something, but I got a first because I had enough credits in the first class category (including my dissertation which was a 76).

67 is still a very good mark though, well done.
Reply 12
You can get a first. Get hold of a member of staff, take an essay to them, ask them to show you precisely where you can up your grade.
Original post by Anonymous

haha yeah that was like me always getting 67/68s in coursework. i went into final year and got alot of help to get a first but it never came true. i felt that 68 was my literal physical limit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending