Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would like to ask a simple question. I am an Egyptian student applying for medicine in the UK. I am an IGCSE student with 8 A* in my olevels and 5 A* in my A levels including physics, biology, chemistry, math and Arabic. I am currently studying for the UKCAT and aspiring to hopefully get a god grade as well. I would like to know whether these factors might increase the chances that I will be offered a scholarship by Universities?
    The factor of money is the Very one and only factor standing in the way between me and my dream of being a Medical student in the UK.
    I know that these things are not guaranteed and that no one can for sure tell whether I will be awarded any form of financial aid by the College. All I want to know is the likelihood of such this occurring.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salma Samir)
    I would like to ask a simple question. I am an Egyptian student applying for medicine in the UK. I am an IGCSE student with 8 A* in my olevels and 5 A* in my A levels including physics, biology, chemistry, math and Arabic. I am currently studying for the UKCAT and aspiring to hopefully get a god grade as well. I would like to know whether these factors might increase the chances that I will be offered a scholarship by Universities?
    The factor of money is the Very one and only factor standing in the way between me and my dream of being a Medical student in the UK.
    I know that these things are not guaranteed and that no one can for sure tell whether I will be awarded any form of financial aid by the College. All I want to know is the likelihood of such this occurring.
    Not really, no. The A level in Arabic will be discounted as this is your native language. This leaves you with four A* and 8A* IGCSE which, although obviously brilliant, is not unheard of.

You will need to apply for funding, and it's competitive. You'll need a lot more than just grades to make a successful application.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for your clarification.
    I am however an international student, so I can’t apply for funding but rather scholarships. I researched a lot but found virtually no scholarships for International students in most universities. Moreover the number decreases even more when it comes to a field like Medicine. So I was wondering if there is case by case system regarding scholarships. Like are there other financial aid opportunities other than the limited ones on websites. So for example if I have in a successful application with my grades and financial case, would that increase my chances of getting financial aid other than the trivial amounts listed in websites?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salma Samir)
    Thanks a lot for your clarification.
    I am however an international student, so I can’t apply for funding but rather scholarships. I researched a lot but found virtually no scholarships for International students in most universities. Moreover the number decreases even more when it comes to a field like Medicine. So I was wondering if there is case by case system regarding scholarships. Like are there other financial aid opportunities other than the limited ones on websites. So for example if I have in a successful application with my grades and financial case, would that increase my chances of getting financial aid other than the trivial amounts listed in websites?
    There are a small number of scholarships available for non-EEA students, usually at the university level. They are hard to get, and no one can give you any more specific advice than the generic "be the absolute best student, both academically and otherwise". Most bursaries or scholarships require you to already hold an offer.

Sorry, but there aren't many scholarships available from within the UK to help support you.Try and see whether there are any in Egypt perhaps.

Tough luck. Sorry.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.