How to refer to university lecturers? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do you refer to them as Sir or Miss like it is done in school, or is it more like Mr/Mrs. Last Name or Professor Last Name?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do you refer to them as Sir or Miss like it is done in school, or is it more like Mr/Mrs. Last Name or Professor Last Name?
In my experience, it can depend on the individual lecturer, or the policy of the department you're taught by. I had lectures across 3 departments this year (Education, Linguistics, and Psychology); lecturers in Education insisted on first names only, Linguistics lecturers individually requested either use of first names or Dr. [surname], and the Psychology department generally preferred Dr. [surname]/Prof. [surname] over first names.

I haven't come across any lecturers who would want to be called Sir/Miss.

If in doubt, refer to him by Dr./Prof. [surname] (this is generally considered the politest address) until you can ask them how they wish to be addressed. It won't offend them.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Titles are such a nonsense, none of our lot use them at all in interactions with students. Phoenix is right, though. I guess you could call them Dr/Prof and let thrm correct you.
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Much like college/sixth form, I'd imagine it'd depend on the person. Sir/Miss, MR/MRS/Miss [surname], their title (Dr./Prof.) [surname], or their first name if they're fine with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (270)
67%
No (133)
33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed