Weekly living costs in York - Is £80/week enough? Watch

Banzala
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hello, i i got my student finance confirmed and subtracted my accommodation coasts and saw that I will have just north of £80 a week to live off while at york uni. it will mainly be used for food, buying supplies amd gan out is this enouhg? cheers x
MikeyA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Banzala)
hello, i i got my student finance confirmed and subtracted my accommodation coasts and saw that I will have just north of £80 a week to live off while at york uni. it will mainly be used for food, buying supplies amd gan out is this enouhg? cheers x
You can always get a part time job. 8 hours a week at £7 an hour is an extra £56 weekly (although you most likely will be t paid monthly) so keep that in account.

Also, I'm going to Newcastle this year and I'm budgeting £50 a week for the first month and £30 after, also account for the fact that you will be spending more towards the start of the year (Freshers/social sign ups/parties and meets/books/transport/gadgets...) than towards the end when you settle in.

I personally think if I didn't go out I could live of £80 for a month (no clubs/restaurants/fast foods). Easiest way to know for budget is to plan out everything you would eat in a week and search for those products/ingredients at online store closest to your accom e.g Asda. This will give a rough guide on the amount you need, then double that value so it includes other expenses
tiffycakes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, just finished my first year at York so I thought I could help.

If you go clubbing every night and get takeaway/eat out very often then it might not be. Otherwise, it is more than enough.

If you have anymore questions feel free to reply/ message me
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I reckon that will be enough.

The buses in to town are a £2 return, and often you can get deals at freshers fair that will work out cheaper (although this will require a lump sum).

York nights out aren’t super cheap but also not super expensive (I’m originally from the south so to me they’re very cheap!) Full price entry is normally £5 and then drinks are around £2/£2.50 for doubles, VKs etc, then taxis back are around £8-10, bus is as mentioned above or you can walk as it’s not far and free!

Shopping at Aldi and Morrison’s is fairly cheap, I normally spend around £30 on a weekly shop and that’s probably the higher end of things because I’m lazy and just go to my nearest shop which is slightly more expensive (co-op).

As mentioned above, freshers week can be more expensive as you’re learning the cheapest places for food etc and signing up for societies and sports can be expensive too so maybe just bear that in mind.

Overall, I’d say £80 it’s a good amount!
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
The buses in to town are a £2 return
(Original post by Banzala)
x
£2 returns are unfortunately gone It's now the normal £3 student day, even on the 66 buses. There's a deal available now, £175 for an "all-term pass" that runs from now until the end of June including holidays, but is only sold until the beginning of October, so that might be something worth considering, Banzala.

Agreed that £80 is fine, just be sure to factor in recurring costs like your phone contract, Spotify, Netflix etc., and additional costs like everyone's least favourite laundry service, Circuit.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
£2 returns are unfortunately gone It's now the normal £3 student day, even on the 66 buses. There's a deal available now, £175 for an "all-term pass" that runs from now until the end of June including holidays, but is only sold until the beginning of October, so that might be something worth considering, Banzala.

Agreed that £80 is fine, just be sure to factor in recurring costs like your phone contract, Spotify, Netflix etc., and additional costs like everyone's least favourite laundry service, Circuit.
Ahhh I didn’t know that, frustrating but thanks for the heads up!
Banzala
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thanks for the quick responses everyone, appreciate your help thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of York
    October Visit Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 30 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (60)
23.62%
No (194)
76.38%

Watched Threads