Scroll to see replies

Original post by Momo04
Hi how did everyone find the higher maths exam
I found it to be very difficult
What do you think the passing mark will be
Plz sign this petition, to vote for lower grade bands for higher maths:
http://chng.it/48k276pgNz

Moved to the main Higher maths thread :smile:

Unfortunately petitions don't have any effect on the grade boundaries (otherwise people would just vote for them to be lowered every time and the qualifications would have no credibility). The SQA only set the grade boundaries once all the papers for the particular exam are marked, and then adjust them based on whether the cohort performed better, worse or as expected.
This. I spent upwards of hours on end going to every Maths supported study as well as easter schools and that paper was the hardest one I've did since doing the 2015 paper. That's my view and it's shared by many others.
Original post by Oddball01
Don’t agree. I was part of the 2015 cohort and I have just finished 3rd year of an engineering degree. My maths is good. My dad has a 1st in Aeronautical Engineering and was helping my sister prepare. His maths is good.

My sister sat this paper yesterday, she was prepared and had studied hard and I think looking at it that it was a hard paper. The zebra question in the 2015 was not particularly difficult, people were throw by the wording. There were more hard, strangely worded questions on this paper then there were on the 2015 one.
I think that 2015 was harder but this was the hardest since.
For grade boundaries, is it simply that a certain percentage of people get a particular grade - e.g. top 20% get As and top 80% get passes or is it slightly politics in terms of protest and complaints etc.?
Reply 184
SQA don't take into account protests or petitions. They see how all candidates performed this year, and compare this to previous years.
Looking at the course reports, it looks like (with the exception of 2015) about the top 30% achieved an A, top 50% a B or above, top 75% a C or above, and top 80% a D or above.
There isn't any way for us to tell how much they may move the boundaries this year, but they will likely adjust them to fit with the above percentages.
Reply 185
I did something similar to this, I think it was a 4 mark question, I'd guess you'd maybe get 2, 3 if the SQA are generous but I find that a stretch lol.
Original post by 123543
For the scalar product question, I couldn't for the life of me work out how to get u.v and messed around with some numbers at the side. However I made up a random figure of 17 (by taking the total magnitude minus u - obviously totally incorrect), however, I carried through and calculated the angle. I had 20 as |u||v| on the bottom, which I think was correct and divided through by inverse cos. What would my mark likely be?
You should gain 3/4 because scaler product is usually a mark each magnitude is a mark and then the process and cos is a mark. So if you did the rest okay you should be good. I did that too.

Original post by Ieuz
I did something similar to this, I think it was a 4 mark question, I'd guess you'd maybe get 2, 3 if the SQA are generous but I find that a stretch lol.
Hi, better late than never, here is my annual post with fully typed up Q&A for Higher maths 2019 exam. Well, for paper 1 anyway as the site doesn't seem to be letting me post two attachments today! I will try posting paper 2 separately.

More professional-looking than the SQA exam, it is intended as a revision resource for future classes.

Colleagues have checked it for typos but please let me know if you find any mistakes.
TSR has a 500 kB file size limit and paper 2 is a bit too big, so here is a link to it.

2019 paper 2 Q&A (H).pdf
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello! Thanks very much for this!

I think there’s an error in paper 2 question 14. You’ve calculated v.v instead of u.v in the third line of working :smile:

Original post by Once a year
TSR has a 500 kB file size limit and paper 2 is a bit too big, so here is a link to it.

2019 paper 1 Q&A (H).pdf
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Joviality
Hello! Thanks very much for this!

I think there’s an error in paper 2 question 14. You’ve calculated v.v instead of u.v in the third line of working :smile:

Thanks for this, Joviality, much appreciated. :colondollar:
Errors sorted and link now updated in post #191.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending