Should there be a fat tax?

Watch
Poll: Should fat people be taxed?
Yes, of course (33)
66%
No, everyone else should fund them instead (17)
34%
Zaporizhia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I think it's about time fat people pay for the expenses they burden the health system with. It's ridiculous to claim that they can't afford healthy food - I can buy ingredients to make a healthy meal for four for far less than a McDonald's for one. From my perspective, and of course, this will be challenged, fat people give an impression of laziness and not being able to control themselves. The support is there, plenty online and meetings/support groups. I don't think the rest should have to foot their bill, and obesity/fat should certainly not be celebrated. The compulsory liquid diet is a step in the right direction by the NHS.

Just a day ago, and these articles pop up all the time, the UK was the second fattest country in Europe, behind only Malta, according to new research. Which is perfectly believable if you take a short stroll through town.
alexcz578
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yeah i think so, too many fatties in the uk nowadays ****ing disgusting
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zaporizhia)
for four for far
Stupid idea but have some rep for this wonderful mouthful of English.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sulfolobus)
Stupid idea but have some rep for this mouthful of English.
Thanks!!!
username2199397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im fat AF and I endorse this message. I think Fat Tax would actually motivate me to loose my blubber. No greater motivator than money.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by alexcz578)
yeah i think so, too many fatties in the uk nowadays ****ing disgusting
Yeah. Equally the same number of morons who start the millionth fat bashing threads.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seamus123)
Yeah. Equally the same number of morons who start the millionth fat bashing threads.
Why is wanting a healthy country fat bashing? You're promoting early death by tolerating the epidemic, the government needs to take firm action.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First thing's first. Review how PE is taught. What makes so many people hate it? I would make the secondary school lessons focus on how people train at the gym (for example). just playing sport for two hours makes it boring for those who have no interest in it, or those who already play it to a high level due to extracurricular coaching.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
First thing's first. Review how PE is taught. What makes so many people hate it? I would make the secondary school lessons focus on how people train at the gym (for example). just playing sport for two hours makes it boring for those who have no interest in it, or those who already play it to a high level due to extracurricular coaching.
I would ban all fast food adverts, even plaster images on those happy meal boxes of clogged arteries. The approach to smoking seems to have worked
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by shohaib712)
Im fat AF and I endorse this message. I think Fat Tax would actually motivate me to loose my blubber. No greater motivator than money.
That's good, and I hope you feel motivated to change your diet/lifestyle
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's about time fat people pay for the expenses they burden the health system with. It's ridiculous to claim that they can't afford healthy food - I can buy ingredients to make a healthy meal for four for far less than a McDonald's for one. From my perspective, and of course, this will be challenged, fat people give an impression of laziness and not being able to control themselves. The support is there, plenty online and meetings/support groups. I don't think the rest should have to foot their bill, and obesity/fat should certainly not be celebrated. The compulsory liquid diet is a step in the right direction by the NHS.

Just a day ago, and these articles pop up all the time, the UK was the second fattest country in Europe, behind only Malta, according to new research. Which is perfectly believable if you take a short stroll through town.
Yesterday you were suggesting we close down a load of universities. Today it's berating fatties.

You know you're not the first iconoclast on TSR...
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Number one problem with your plan - what health problems exactly? Would it be a case of “oh you’ve broken your arm but your fat so we won’t cover it on the NHS” or just diseases that have *some* links to being overweight?

I can’t believe I have to explain how ridiculous this rule would be to implement and the amount of holes in the plan. But please, if you’re certain it would work fairly and effectively, lay it on me.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're clearly being purposely inflammatory but clearly it's a stupid idea. There are a hundred things people do which increases burden on the health system... where does it end? We also have to include smokers, drinkers, people who dont eat vegetables, those who don't do enough sports, those who do dangerous sports, ride motorcycles, etc.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
Number one problem with your plan - what health problems exactly? Would it be a case of “oh you’ve broken your arm but your fat so we won’t cover it on the NHS” or just diseases that have *some* links to being overweight?

I can’t believe I have to explain how ridiculous this rule would be to implement and the amount of holes in the plan. But please, if you’re certain it would work fairly and effectively, lay it on me.
I don't it's fair to say 'some' links to being overweight, there is a positive correlation to being obese and having type two diabetes, for instance. It would work by having people pay different amounts of national insurance based on health and age. Based on age, it will work out that everyone will pay the same over their lifetime, but being healthy will decrease the amount that is taken out of your salary, and perhaps that will motivate overweight people to lose weight, as it's something you can control to save money.
username4242832
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Yes! Everyone is so fat.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom 2001)
Yes! Everyone is so fat.
Ikr, gross
username4242832
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ikr, gross
It really is. Especially when you see a fat girl.
stettafire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is a bit of a loaded question.
Zaporizhia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tom 2001)
It really is. Especially when you see a fat girl.
Wearing a crop top...
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
How would you cut the line to determine if someone is fat or not ? 🤔
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads