The Student Room Group

Should there be a fat tax?

Poll

Should fat people be taxed?

I think it's about time fat people pay for the expenses they burden the health system with. It's ridiculous to claim that they can't afford healthy food - I can buy ingredients to make a healthy meal for four for far less than a McDonald's for one. From my perspective, and of course, this will be challenged, fat people give an impression of laziness and not being able to control themselves. The support is there, plenty online and meetings/support groups. I don't think the rest should have to foot their bill, and obesity/fat should certainly not be celebrated. The compulsory liquid diet is a step in the right direction by the NHS.

Just a day ago, and these articles pop up all the time, the UK was the second fattest country in Europe, behind only Malta, according to new research. Which is perfectly believable if you take a short stroll through town.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yeah i think so, too many fatties in the uk nowadays ****ing disgusting
Original post by Zaporizhia
for four for far

Stupid idea but have some rep for this wonderful mouthful of English.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Sulfolobus
Stupid idea but have some rep for this mouthful of English.

Thanks!!!
Im fat AF and I endorse this message. I think Fat Tax would actually motivate me to loose my blubber. No greater motivator than money.
Original post by alexcz578
yeah i think so, too many fatties in the uk nowadays ****ing disgusting

Yeah. Equally the same number of morons who start the millionth fat bashing threads.
Reply 6
Original post by Seamus123
Yeah. Equally the same number of morons who start the millionth fat bashing threads.

Why is wanting a healthy country fat bashing? You're promoting early death by tolerating the epidemic, the government needs to take firm action.
First thing's first. Review how PE is taught. What makes so many people hate it? I would make the secondary school lessons focus on how people train at the gym (for example). just playing sport for two hours makes it boring for those who have no interest in it, or those who already play it to a high level due to extracurricular coaching.
Reply 8
Original post by hello_shawn
First thing's first. Review how PE is taught. What makes so many people hate it? I would make the secondary school lessons focus on how people train at the gym (for example). just playing sport for two hours makes it boring for those who have no interest in it, or those who already play it to a high level due to extracurricular coaching.

I would ban all fast food adverts, even plaster images on those happy meal boxes of clogged arteries. The approach to smoking seems to have worked
Reply 9
Original post by shohaib712
Im fat AF and I endorse this message. I think Fat Tax would actually motivate me to loose my blubber. No greater motivator than money.

That's good, and I hope you feel motivated to change your diet/lifestyle
I think it's about time fat people pay for the expenses they burden the health system with. It's ridiculous to claim that they can't afford healthy food - I can buy ingredients to make a healthy meal for four for far less than a McDonald's for one. From my perspective, and of course, this will be challenged, fat people give an impression of laziness and not being able to control themselves. The support is there, plenty online and meetings/support groups. I don't think the rest should have to foot their bill, and obesity/fat should certainly not be celebrated. The compulsory liquid diet is a step in the right direction by the NHS.

Just a day ago, and these articles pop up all the time, the UK was the second fattest country in Europe, behind only Malta, according to new research. Which is perfectly believable if you take a short stroll through town.

Yesterday you were suggesting we close down a load of universities. Today it's berating fatties.

You know you're not the first iconoclast on TSR...

Number one problem with your plan - what health problems exactly? Would it be a case of “oh you’ve broken your arm but your fat so we won’t cover it on the NHS” or just diseases that have *some* links to being overweight?

I can’t believe I have to explain how ridiculous this rule would be to implement and the amount of holes in the plan. But please, if you’re certain it would work fairly and effectively, lay it on me.
You're clearly being purposely inflammatory but clearly it's a stupid idea. There are a hundred things people do which increases burden on the health system... where does it end? We also have to include smokers, drinkers, people who dont eat vegetables, those who don't do enough sports, those who do dangerous sports, ride motorcycles, etc.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Number one problem with your plan - what health problems exactly? Would it be a case of “oh you’ve broken your arm but your fat so we won’t cover it on the NHS” or just diseases that have *some* links to being overweight?

I can’t believe I have to explain how ridiculous this rule would be to implement and the amount of holes in the plan. But please, if you’re certain it would work fairly and effectively, lay it on me.

I don't it's fair to say 'some' links to being overweight, there is a positive correlation to being obese and having type two diabetes, for instance. It would work by having people pay different amounts of national insurance based on health and age. Based on age, it will work out that everyone will pay the same over their lifetime, but being healthy will decrease the amount that is taken out of your salary, and perhaps that will motivate overweight people to lose weight, as it's something you can control to save money.

Yes! Everyone is so fat.
Original post by Tom 2001
Yes! Everyone is so fat.

Ikr, gross
Ikr, gross

It really is. Especially when you see a fat girl.
This is a bit of a loaded question.
Original post by Tom 2001
It really is. Especially when you see a fat girl.

Wearing a crop top...
How would you cut the line to determine if someone is fat or not ? 🤔

Quick Reply

Latest