The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm learning too slow... Am I just bad?

So I've been having driving lessons since I turned 17 last January, though it was very sporadic up to this May (maybe 1 lesson a month due to the driving instructor) when I switched to an AA Driving Instructor.

I've had around 32 lessons so far, and feel really bad since my dad expected me to pass for my 18th birthday 9 months ago... I've done parallel parking two or three times, and practised the other parking techniques twice. And have only used a SatNav once, yet my dad/me are paying £26 a lesson...

I've got my theory booked for this coming Tuesday after trying but failing back in January (43/50 which is a pass for Hazard Perception, 41/50 for Multiple Choice, 2 marks off) and forgot to book in another, and then missed another theory test 2 months ago since the bus was about an hour late. (for some reason...) I'm hoping I do well in this, and I just feel like I'm learning too slow... Still working on my clearance and steering (also checking mirrors when going around roundabouts, though it's improving), I just hope if I have maybe two lessons a week for the next 2 or 3 weeks, I'll be ready for the driving test...

Should I book it when I pass my theory or wait for November/December, and does anyone have any tips in general for improving my driving performance/ways for me to improve? Or should I look for another instructor? Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Everyone learns differently, and no you’re not going slow. If you feel like you’re confident with your driving then book the test once you’ve done the theory, because who knows, the waiting list could be long. I passed my driving yesterday and trust me I’ve been in your shoes! My friends who started after me all passed within 2-3 months, whereas it took me about 9 months, and I had felt like I was going nowhere with my driving and became depressed.
Top tip is to definitely practice a lot with your parents in their car. You don’t know how much this helped me and I can’t thank my dad enough for forcing me to take him for a drive every evening because he wanted me to pass so bad. I did this for 2 months straight after telling my DI that I wasn’t gonna take lessons with him anymore. Booked the test and got another DI who took me around the test routes and polished my manouvers all within 1 week before the test.
If you have any more questions let me know, I’d be happy to help :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
To be honest, you’re not doing as badly as you think as you started off having 1 lesson a month. Are you learning how to drive a manual? The recommend number of hours is somewhere around 50 I think. Some people just manage to learn quicker than others, there’s nothing with taking your time! You’ll get there eventually
I think you’re doing fine! Once a month is going to mean slower progress, and changing instructors as well as you need to get used to a new car, instructor etc. I changed instructors too, it’s important to recognise when it isn’t working with one :smile:

I started learning at 17, and after failing my first test (very badly) was so put off I didn’t continue until my third year of uni last October and just passed a few months ago!

It doesn’t matter how long it takes, it feels so important until you pass and then none of it seems to matter!

You will probably be a better driver, with more experience and practice :smile:

Good luck and enjoy learning
Reply 4
Original post by Maryelizabeth21
I think you’re doing fine! Once a month is going to mean slower progress, and changing instructors as well as you need to get used to a new car, instructor etc. I changed instructors too, it’s important to recognise when it isn’t working with one :smile:

I started learning at 17, and after failing my first test (very badly) was so put off I didn’t continue until my third year of uni last October and just passed a few months ago!

It doesn’t matter how long it takes, it feels so important until you pass and then none of it seems to matter!

You will probably be a better driver, with more experience and practice :smile:

Good luck and enjoy learning

Thank you! I think the problem is my dad doesn't want to have to pay £26 a week for lessons, so I'm not sure if I should change my instructor for a slightly cheaper yet still good instructor. I'm currently not earning enough at work (with college 3 days a week and working 3 days a week) to support myself with the lessons, so I'm wondering what I could say to him that could tell him that not everyone learns as fast as 12 lessons and passing, though it is very expensive and I completely get why he might not want me to do them for much longer. Also I would try out driving with him sometimes but I think we'd argue a lot (different personalities: I'm very introverted whereas he's very, very loud and extroverted) and it wouldn't go well.
Reply 5
Original post by jiajane
Everyone learns differently, and no you’re not going slow. If you feel like you’re confident with your driving then book the test once you’ve done the theory, because who knows, the waiting list could be long. I passed my driving yesterday and trust me I’ve been in your shoes! My friends who started after me all passed within 2-3 months, whereas it took me about 9 months, and I had felt like I was going nowhere with my driving and became depressed.
Top tip is to definitely practice a lot with your parents in their car. You don’t know how much this helped me and I can’t thank my dad enough for forcing me to take him for a drive every evening because he wanted me to pass so bad. I did this for 2 months straight after telling my DI that I wasn’t gonna take lessons with him anymore. Booked the test and got another DI who took me around the test routes and polished my manouvers all within 1 week before the test.
If you have any more questions let me know, I’d be happy to help :smile:

Thanks for this! I just replied to another comment about my dad, since me and him wouldn't get along too well in the car, and I generally like someone who I can talk to/have small chats with whilst driving, but can also take control if needed. He's more of the type of person who thinks I'd be able to do anything, and I don't need his help due to being "an adult", though he would sometimes take control if he thinks I'm not doing too well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending