Higher Physics 2018-19 Watch

WestDragon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey!

This is a thread for Higher Physics (2018-19).

How's it going for everyone so far?
sbneelu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey!

It's going quite well so far. We're about a week away from finishing the first unit (Our Dynamic Universe) and so far the course doesn't seem too challenging, apart from special relativity which took a bit of thinking.

How's it going for you?
WestDragon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by sbneelu)
Hey!

It's going quite well so far. We're about a week away from finishing the first unit (Our Dynamic Universe) and so far the course doesn't seem too challenging, apart from special relativity which took a bit of thinking.

How's it going for you?
Looks like you’re ahead of us, we’re currently working on momentum, and are about to go onto the next part (I think it’s relativity) next week, some time has been wasted unfortunately due to bad experiments etc... Although, I’m looking forward to the next part of the course
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
sadia_azhar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Name:  Opera Snapshot_2018-09-30_154453_e.edim.co.png
Views: 49
Size:  107.8 KB Hi, can anyone help me with part b?
WestDragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by sadia_azhar)
Name:  Opera Snapshot_2018-09-30_154453_e.edim.co.png
Views: 49
Size:  107.8 KB Hi, can anyone help me with part b?
Hey, now that you know the frictional force and the forward force of the van going down the slope, you should be able to work out the unbalanced force and therefore, the acceleration
bean101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’m loving physics!!! I never did National 5 so I’m crashing it but I wish I picked it up earlier

We finished the first unit last week and started unit 2 today
WestDragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by bean101)
I’m loving physics!!! I never did National 5 so I’m crashing it but I wish I picked it up earlier

Great to hear! Physics has become a lot more fun in Higher in comparison to N5. Best of luck with it
sbneelu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by WestDragon)
Great to hear! Physics has become a lot more fun in Higher in comparison to N5. Best of luck with it
I agree, Higher physics is a lot more interesting than N5 physics!
(Original post by bean101)

Good luck to you! It's good to hear you're enjoying it; that always makes things easier.
A1renegade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What's everyone doing their assignment on? I'm doing my write up this friday on LED switch on voltage. The teacher I have this year is a lot better at explaining things so I'm quite confident on this subject.
WestDragon
Rep:
?
(Original post by A1renegade)
What's everyone doing their assignment on? I'm doing my write up this friday on LED switch on voltage. The teacher I have this year is a lot better at explaining things so I'm quite confident on this subject.
As far as I know, we’re doing something similar to your assignment topic, although we haven’t done much on it since before the summer.
Ax-MGcxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I really need a B this year but I’m worried I’ve left it too late because I’m struggling with past papers, any suggestions...
hydroxide
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
keep doing past papers and practice calculations over and over again. go through every single past paper you can find online, go through them twice or even three times. you should slowly get used to the exam format and the style of questions, practice makes perfect
also, for the more 'wordy' questions memorise your definitions, they are easy marks to get (e.g. define the doppler effect)
Aaron_0610
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hydroxide)
keep doing past papers and practice calculations over and over again. go through every single past paper you can find online, go through them twice or even three times. you should slowly get used to the exam format and the style of questions, practice makes perfect
also, for the more 'wordy' questions memorise your definitions, they are easy marks to get (e.g. define the doppler effect)
I can't remember any of the wordy stuff, I can do calculations as long as they are simple 3 or 4 marks but once they go higher I get confused...
XZS
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If it’s worth more than 3 marks then you should probs be using 2 formulae. The only one I can think of right now is redshift, how you’re given wavelengths and then have to find the recessional velocity from it. 2 formulae worth 5 marks. As for the definitions, keep going over it until you understand them.
Aaron_0610
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by XZS)
If it’s worth more than 3 marks then you should probs be using 2 formulae. The only one I can think of right now is redshift, how you’re given wavelengths and then have to find the recessional velocity from it. 2 formulae worth 5 marks. As for the definitions, keep going over it until you understand them.
I got a C in the Prelim, after failing last year (I'm resitting), and it's just so difficult, I got a B at Nat 5 but I only got that from getting all my marks from calculations.
turtle.8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Aaron_0610)
I got a C in the Prelim, after failing last year (I'm resitting), and it's just so difficult, I got a B at Nat 5 but I only got that from getting all my marks from calculations.
I'm also doing higher physics and I'm finding it so difficult too. I'm doing 5 highers this year and I'm finding physics the hardest. Also got a B at Nat 5. Similar to you, I also find the explanation questions the hardest to answer. I got a D in my prelim, I've went over the definitions and I'm doing past papers but tbh I just find physics so uninteresting now lol.
Aaron_0610
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by turtle.8)
I'm also doing higher physics and I'm finding it so difficult too. I'm doing 5 highers this year and I'm finding physics the hardest. Also got a B at Nat 5. Similar to you, I also find the explanation questions the hardest to answer. I got a D in my prelim, I've went over the definitions and I'm doing past papers but tbh I just find physics so uninteresting now lol.
Omg literally me
turtle.8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lol, are you also doing 5 highers? Im doing maths, english, business, geography and physics. Honestly wish I had taken higher biology instead of physics as I got an A at Nat 5 for that
Aaron_0610
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by turtle.8)
Lol, are you also doing 5 highers? Im doing maths, english, business, geography and physics. Honestly wish I had taken higher biology instead of physics as I got an A at Nat 5 for that
Last year I did 5; Maths (D), English (D), Physics (F), Chemistry (C) and Computing (C). This year however, I'm only doing 4 to relieve the stress; Physics, Maths, Business and Philosophy.

Rip, I need AABB for Maths at Uni. Maths I'm on track for, Business I dunno how to revise all the content, Philosophy I'm ok at, Physics I'm ok at too.

Help!!!
turtle.8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Aaron_0610)
Last year I did 5; Maths (D), English (D), Physics (F), Chemistry (C) and Computing (C). This year however, I'm only doing 4 to relieve the stress; Physics, Maths, Business and Philosophy.

Rip, I need AABB for Maths at Uni. Maths I'm on track for, Business I dunno how to revise all the content, Philosophy I'm ok at, Physics I'm ok at too.

Help!!!
Take it ur in S6 then, I'm in S5. I need at least AABBC for uni. I'm doing well in business, but I also find the content hard to remember. I have the higher business leckie and leckie course notes book and I went through the whole textbook and highlighted all the key parts. Sounds like a lot, but highlighting really helped me remember things. I would recommend doing this with some sort of textbook or your own class notes. I have a notebook where I write things down that I've found I just can't remember.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads