The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2018-19

Hey!

This is a thread for Higher Physics (2018-19).

How's it going for everyone so far? :biggrin:

Edit- UNOFFICIAL MARKING SCHEME
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

It's going quite well so far. We're about a week away from finishing the first unit (Our Dynamic Universe) and so far the course doesn't seem too challenging, apart from special relativity which took a bit of thinking.

How's it going for you?
Original post by sbneelu
Hey!

It's going quite well so far. We're about a week away from finishing the first unit (Our Dynamic Universe) and so far the course doesn't seem too challenging, apart from special relativity which took a bit of thinking.

How's it going for you?

Looks like you’re ahead of us, we’re currently working on momentum, and are about to go onto the next part (I think it’s relativity) next week, some time has been wasted unfortunately due to bad experiments etc... Although, I’m looking forward to the next part of the course :smile:
Opera Snapshot_2018-09-30_154453_e.edim.co.png Hi, can anyone help me with part b?
Original post by sadia_azhar
Opera Snapshot_2018-09-30_154453_e.edim.co.png Hi, can anyone help me with part b?

Hey, now that you know the frictional force and the forward force of the van going down the slope, you should be able to work out the unbalanced force and therefore, the acceleration :smile:
Reply 5
I’m loving physics!!! I never did National 5 so I’m crashing it but I wish I picked it up earlier

We finished the first unit last week and started unit 2 today :smile:
Original post by bean101
I’m loving physics!!! I never did National 5 so I’m crashing it but I wish I picked it up earlier

Great to hear! Physics has become a lot more fun in Higher in comparison to N5. Best of luck with it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by WestDragon
Great to hear! Physics has become a lot more fun in Higher in comparison to N5. Best of luck with it :smile:

I agree, Higher physics is a lot more interesting than N5 physics!
Original post by bean101

Good luck to you! It's good to hear you're enjoying it; that always makes things easier.
What's everyone doing their assignment on? I'm doing my write up this friday on LED switch on voltage. The teacher I have this year is a lot better at explaining things so I'm quite confident on this subject.
Original post by A1renegade
What's everyone doing their assignment on? I'm doing my write up this friday on LED switch on voltage. The teacher I have this year is a lot better at explaining things so I'm quite confident on this subject.

As far as I know, we’re doing something similar to your assignment topic, although we haven’t done much on it since before the summer.
I really need a B this year but I’m worried I’ve left it too late because I’m struggling with past papers, any suggestions...
keep doing past papers and practice calculations over and over again. go through every single past paper you can find online, go through them twice or even three times. you should slowly get used to the exam format and the style of questions, practice makes perfect :smile:
also, for the more 'wordy' questions memorise your definitions, they are easy marks to get (e.g. define the doppler effect)
Original post by hydroxide
keep doing past papers and practice calculations over and over again. go through every single past paper you can find online, go through them twice or even three times. you should slowly get used to the exam format and the style of questions, practice makes perfect :smile:
also, for the more 'wordy' questions memorise your definitions, they are easy marks to get (e.g. define the doppler effect)

I can't remember any of the wordy stuff, I can do calculations as long as they are simple 3 or 4 marks but once they go higher I get confused...
Reply 13
If it’s worth more than 3 marks then you should probs be using 2 formulae. The only one I can think of right now is redshift, how you’re given wavelengths and then have to find the recessional velocity from it. 2 formulae worth 5 marks. As for the definitions, keep going over it until you understand them.
Original post by XZS
If it’s worth more than 3 marks then you should probs be using 2 formulae. The only one I can think of right now is redshift, how you’re given wavelengths and then have to find the recessional velocity from it. 2 formulae worth 5 marks. As for the definitions, keep going over it until you understand them.

I got a C in the Prelim, after failing last year (I'm resitting), and it's just so difficult, I got a B at Nat 5 but I only got that from getting all my marks from calculations.
Original post by Aaron_0610
I got a C in the Prelim, after failing last year (I'm resitting), and it's just so difficult, I got a B at Nat 5 but I only got that from getting all my marks from calculations.

I'm also doing higher physics and I'm finding it so difficult too. I'm doing 5 highers this year and I'm finding physics the hardest. Also got a B at Nat 5. Similar to you, I also find the explanation questions the hardest to answer. I got a D in my prelim, I've went over the definitions and I'm doing past papers but tbh I just find physics so uninteresting now lol.
Original post by turtle.8
I'm also doing higher physics and I'm finding it so difficult too. I'm doing 5 highers this year and I'm finding physics the hardest. Also got a B at Nat 5. Similar to you, I also find the explanation questions the hardest to answer. I got a D in my prelim, I've went over the definitions and I'm doing past papers but tbh I just find physics so uninteresting now lol.

Omg literally me
Lol, are you also doing 5 highers? Im doing maths, english, business, geography and physics. Honestly wish I had taken higher biology instead of physics as I got an A at Nat 5 for that
Original post by turtle.8
Lol, are you also doing 5 highers? Im doing maths, english, business, geography and physics. Honestly wish I had taken higher biology instead of physics as I got an A at Nat 5 for that

Last year I did 5; Maths (D), English (D), Physics (F), Chemistry (C) and Computing (C). This year however, I'm only doing 4 to relieve the stress; Physics, Maths, Business and Philosophy.

Rip, I need AABB for Maths at Uni. Maths I'm on track for, Business I dunno how to revise all the content, Philosophy I'm ok at, Physics I'm ok at too.

Help!!!
Original post by Aaron_0610
Last year I did 5; Maths (D), English (D), Physics (F), Chemistry (C) and Computing (C). This year however, I'm only doing 4 to relieve the stress; Physics, Maths, Business and Philosophy.

Rip, I need AABB for Maths at Uni. Maths I'm on track for, Business I dunno how to revise all the content, Philosophy I'm ok at, Physics I'm ok at too.

Help!!!

Take it ur in S6 then, I'm in S5. I need at least AABBC for uni. I'm doing well in business, but I also find the content hard to remember. I have the higher business leckie and leckie course notes book and I went through the whole textbook and highlighted all the key parts. Sounds like a lot, but highlighting really helped me remember things. I would recommend doing this with some sort of textbook or your own class notes. I have a notebook where I write things down that I've found I just can't remember.

Quick Reply