Higher Physics 2018-19 Watch

Lil Impulse
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  Physics paper confusing.png
Views: 15
Size:  22.4 KBThe colour observed at Y is red but I'm not sure how you know this. Would be great if someone could explain how this diagram shows that Y is red.
XZS
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lil Impulse)
Size:  22.4 KBThe colour observed at Y is red but I'm not sure how you know this. Would be great if someone could explain how this diagram shows that Y is red.
Maybe coz like red has got the longest wavelength so because the line pointing at the specta is at the edges (of the spectra) it corresponds to the red wavelength. Like if the line was in the middle by ROYGBIV it would be like violet ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by XZS; 1 week ago
Mortifiedpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry to correct you here. But the part with the 3 resistors is a parallel branch. Voltage is the same across all components in a parallel, whether it be an entire circuit or a branch. So D is therefore correct.
Mortifiedpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s only memory you need for this question. Blue light refracts to a greater degree than red light, because it has higher frequency and refractive index increases with frequency. Red refracts less and will therefore always appear at the top of a refraction spectrum. It is the opposite for diffraction, so blue always appears first and red last.
sbneelu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah yeah haha thanks for that, sorry, my bad. I got the correct values but I just misread the table so I said B instead of D for some reason? Anyway thanks for pointing it out
(Original post by Mortifiedpenguin)
Sorry to correct you here. But the part with the 3 resistors is a parallel branch. Voltage is the same across all components in a parallel, whether it be an entire circuit or a branch. So D is therefore correct.
Mortifiedpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lol my mistake! I never actually read your method, if I had I would have noticed you were approaching it right and simply stated the wrong answer.
(Original post by sbneelu)
Ah yeah haha thanks for that, sorry, my bad. I got the correct values but I just misread the table so I said B instead of D for some reason? Anyway thanks for pointing it out
Lil Impulse
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by XZS)
Maybe coz like red has got the longest wavelength so because the line pointing at the specta is at the edges (of the spectra) it corresponds to the red wavelength. Like if the line was in the middle by ROYGBIV it would be like violet ?
It’s only memory you need for this question. Blue light refracts to a greater degree than red light, because it has higher frequency and refractive index increases with frequency. Red refracts less and will therefore always appear at the top of a refraction spectrum. It is the opposite for diffraction, so blue always appears first and red last.
Thanks i think i get how you do it. I understood the refracting part but the diffraction part just confused me
Last edited by Lil Impulse; 1 week ago
sbneelu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nah it's fine haha dw, it's my fault
Lol my mistake! I never actually read your method, if I had I would have noticed you were approaching it right and simply stated the wrong answer.
tomctutor
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just so there is no confusion here, refraction say through a prism will cause blue light to (bend) more than red light when viewed on the screen due to dispersion, this is Newtons experiment. Name:  refraction-through-a-prism.png
Views: 16
Size:  7.3 KB
For interference by diffraction through a grating will cause red light projected on screen further from the central axis than blue (the other way about than refraction), because path difference for red light larger than blue; m\lambda=dsin(\theta) for m'th order.Name:  White light diffraction.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  4.3 KB
Attached files
Last edited by tomctutor; 1 week ago
Lil Impulse
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tomctutor)
Just so there is no confusion here, refraction say through a prism will cause blue light to (bend) more than red light when viewed on the screen due to dispersion, this is Newtons experiment. Name:  refraction-through-a-prism.png
Views: 16
Size:  7.3 KB
For interference by diffraction through a grating will cause red light projected on screen further from the central axis than blue (the other way about than refraction), because path difference for red light larger than blue; m\lambda=dsin(\theta) for m'th order.Name:  White light diffraction.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  4.3 KB
Cheers i completely forgot about path difference when thinking about wavelengths and interference but that makes sense
SamSpudd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, can anyone help me with Q25 on the 1992 Paper Multiple choice? I have no clue. ThanksLink to paper - http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/wp-content/...92_HigherI.pdf
SamAdler
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I think the answer would be A. This is because when light goes from glass to air it is going into a less dense medium this means that it will bend away from the normal. Then when it renters the glass it will bend back towards the normal. Then when going out into the air again it will bend away. This leaves A as the only option. Hope this makes sense
(Original post by SamSpudd)
Hi, can anyone help me with Q25 on the 1992 Paper Multiple choice? I have no clue. ThanksLink to paper - http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/wp-content/...92_HigherI.pdf
SamSpudd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SamAdler)
Hi, I think the answer would be A. This is because when light goes from glass to air it is going into a less dense medium this means that it will bend away from the normal. Then when it renters the glass it will bend back towards the normal. Then when going out into the air again it will bend away. This leaves A as the only option. Hope this makes sense
Brilliant, answer is indeed A, thanks for the explanation too.
SamAdler
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No problem

(Original post by SamSpudd)
Brilliant, answer is indeed A, thanks for the explanation too.
AstralDwarf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
2016 Multiple choice Question 13. Am I right in saying you use the dsin(Theta) =m(Lambda).

If so how do you determine what m is? I thought it was how many first-order maximums there are but apparently not.
SamAdler
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are correct that you have to use that equation. But you need to find d not m. M=1 theta=18 and lambda=663x10-9
(Original post by AstralDwarf)
2016 Multiple choice Question 13. Am I right in saying you use the dsin(Theta) =m(Lambda).

If so how do you determine what m is? I thought it was how many first-order maximums there are but apparently not.
AstralDwarf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ohhhh I was using the wrong angle cheers.
(Original post by SamAdler)
You are correct that you have to use that equation. But you need to find d not m. M=1 theta=18 and lambda=663x10-9
SamAdler
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No problem
(Original post by AstralDwarf)
Ohhhh I was using the wrong angle cheers.
PeadarKing
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
does anyone know how to do this question attached below? Thanks
Attached files
sbneelu
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which paper is that? You need more information to solve that (either the unbalanced force or a way of finding the unbalanced force), can you send the rest of the question please?
(Original post by PeadarKing)
does anyone know how to do this question attached below? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (401)
30.63%
The paper was reasonable (514)
39.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (225)
17.19%
It was TERRIBLE (169)
12.91%

Watched Threads