The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Oh yes my apologies! new screenshot attached. However I've gone and already worked it out, reasoning why I was struggling with this was because I forgot it was a continue on from the previous question!! Friction should be 350N IIRC? (F = ma = 290*5 = 1450N UNBALANCED FORCE, 1800-1450 = 350N)
Original post by sbneelu
Which paper is that? You need more information to solve that (either the unbalanced force or a way of finding the unbalanced force), can you send the rest of the question please?
(edited 4 years ago)
Ah perfect. Yep, I got 350N too :smile:
Original post by PeadarKing
Oh yes my apologies! new screenshot attached. However I've gone and already worked it out, reasoning why I was struggling with this was because I forgot it was a continue on from the previous question!! Friction should be 350N IIRC? (F = ma = 290*5 = 1450N UNBALANCED FORCE, 1800-1450 = 350N)
Hope the exam goes well tomorrow! :smile:
When drawing a graph, and it's a curve of best fit - should you draw a line back to the origin or just leave the curve as it is? (Specimen Q16b)
The m'th order is used in the formula mλ=dsin(θ)m\lambda=dsin(\theta),
m=0 gives principle axis, m=1 (or m= -1) gives first bright line on screen etc,

for destructive interference
(m+12)λ=dsin(θ)(m+\frac{1}{2} )\lambda=dsin(\theta)
m=0 gives first angle etc...

remember θ\theta is a function of mm!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 85
thank you! I did past papers over the past week and went over theory quite well. Let's just hope the paper tomorrow isn't too bad. Good luck everyone!
Original post by Aaron_0610
I'm a 2-year resit, from Nat 5, so I can't give you crash higher advice although considering I got 28% in the exam last year, I might be able to help.

Do past papers, if you can't do a question read how to do it, make notes on types you can't do. Go over main points, that they may ask in form of a long answer knowledge question. Understand it.

If you don't have the time over the next week just keep doing past papers.

This website provides (http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/higher-revision/), past papers back to 1994. Fun fact, SQA love to reuse multiple choice questions, if you try the majority of those multiple choice questions and memorise the answers/what to do, I can assure you you will bank 15/25 at least in the Multiple Choice, from either knowing how to do the questions or the exact same ones coming up. This means you go into Paper 2 with 20% odd of your marks already in the bag, plus the assignment.
Reply 86
Hi what do magnetic and electric fields do to particles in particle accelerators? Which one deflects a particle and what happens to the other one
Reply 87
A moving charge produces a magnetic fields and magnetic fields deflect particles - in particle accelerators, like the synchrotron, they use electromagnets to keep the particle in a circular path, and in the cyclotron, they use magnets as well to keep them going in a circle after they've been accelerated across the "dee". Electric fields exist around any charged object, so a charged particle in an electric field would experience a force and this force could make the particle accelerate. That's all I think we need to know, it's just stuff I learnt from my How to Pass book, hope it helps :smile:
Original post by ZBAD$
Hi what do magnetic and electric fields do to particles in particle accelerators? Which one deflects a particle and what happens to the other one

Some relationships:
Ew=QVE_w=QV for energy of charged particle accelerated in an Electric Field (potential difference is VV.) Final velocity will be Ek=12mv2E_k = \frac{1}{2} mv^2

A magnetic Field cause charged particle to deflect (actually into a circular path ) where direction is given by Right-Hand-Rule:FlemingsRHRule.jpg

Particle accelerators are Linear (like FERMIlab), cyclotron (aka bevatron) and synchrotron (like CERN)

Neutrons are unaffected by Electric or Magnetic fields- difficult to study.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 89
Best of luck everyone! Hope we all do great :smile:
Good Luck everyone! Hopefully the SQA are kind with this paper.
Good luck everyone! :smile:
Exam went really well! Fair MC paper and excellent paper 2. I'll try and upload MC if I can :h:
Here's the MC paper with my answers and working. No guarantee that the answers are right although I did feel pretty confident about them. Interested to see if others got similar answers
DSC_0262.JPGDSC_0263.JPGDSC_0264.JPGDSC_0265.JPGDSC_0266.JPGDSC_0267.JPGDSC_0268.JPGDSC_0269.JPG
Original post by StuckInReverse
Here's the MC paper with my answers and working. No guarantee that the answers are right although I did feel pretty confident about them. Interested to see if others got similar answers
DSC_0262.JPGDSC_0263.JPGDSC_0264.JPGDSC_0265.JPGDSC_0266.JPGDSC_0267.JPGDSC_0268.JPGDSC_0269.JPG

I think 4 should be A and 10 should be E
DSC_0270.JPGDSC_0271.JPGDSC_0272.JPGDSC_0273.JPGDSC_0274.JPGDSC_0275.JPGDSC_0276.JPGDSC_0277.JPG
Quite possibly. They were two I was unsure about
Original post by AWildBoar
I think 4 should be A and 10 should be E
17 should be C
24 should be B

Other than that we got the same answers :smile:)
Original post by nat5dawg
17 should be C
24 should be B

Other than that we got the same answers :smile:)

Thank god im not the only one who put those down
Quick recap:
1 E, 2 B, 3 D, 4 D (possibly A), 5 B, 6 E, 7 B, 8 C, 9 B, 10 D (possibly E), 11 D, 12 A, 13 A, 14 C, 15 E, 16 C, 17 E (possibly C), 18 C, 19 D, 20 A, 21 B, 22 C, 23 D, 24 E (possibly B), 25 E

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending