The Student Room Group

Do subjects count against you for foundation year engineering?

Are foundation courses only for people who didn’t do subjects related to the course at A-level? I am looking at doing a foundation year in mechanical engineering at Nottingham which requires BBB but I’m not sure if I’m able to do this as I do maths, physics and biology and heard somewhere these are only for people who did unrelated subjects at a-level.
Hey, I applied for Nottingham’s foundation year for mech eng. Unfortunately, I didn’t get in as I missed my grade in physics, however I’m going to a different uni to do it.

You would be eligible for direct entry because you are studying maths and Physics. There isn’t need for a foundation year for you as it’s for people who didn’t study maths or physics at A level. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by RealAQA
Are foundation courses only for people who didn’t do subjects related to the course at A-level? I am looking at doing a foundation year in mechanical engineering at Nottingham which requires BBB but I’m not sure if I’m able to do this as I do maths, physics and biology and heard somewhere these are only for people who did unrelated subjects at a-level.

What does it say on their entry requirements? Depending on the university it can be for people with good grades in the "wrong" subjects and/of people with less good grades in the right subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by vanboaitey
Hey, I applied for Nottingham’s foundation year for mech eng. Unfortunately, I didn’t get in as I missed my grade in physics, however I’m going to a different uni to do it.

You would be eligible for direct entry because you are studying maths and Physics. There isn’t need for a foundation year for you as it’s for people who didn’t study maths or physics at A level. Hope this helps!

Ye that does help thanks but is the foundation year only applicable to those who aren’t eligible to direct entry because of their subject choice? As I was looking at it because of the lower grade boundaries.
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
What does it say on their entry requirements? Depending on the university it can be for people with good grades in the "wrong" subjects and/of people with less good grades in the right subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It says BBB in any courses (excluding general studies), I do Maths, physics and biology, however it also says This programme is designed for UK and EU students whose school leaving qualifications do not allow admission to year one in engineering” so I was wondering if that meant it was for students whose subject choice meant they weren’t eligible for the course.
Reply 5
Original post by RealAQA
It says BBB in any courses (excluding general studies), I do Maths, physics and biology, however it also says This programme is designed for UK and EU students whose school leaving qualifications do not allow admission to year one in engineering” so I was wondering if that meant it was for students whose subject choice meant they weren’t eligible for the course.

And BBB in those subjects is unlikely to allow admission to year one...
Yeah you could be considered onto the course because it doesn’t have an exclusion criteria. I would call them up to be sure. However, on results day, a friend of mine who studied maths and physics didn’t get the right results for direct entry and so he asked if they would put him on the foundation course. Unforunately, the course was full so I think you’d be able to apply, but, do double check.
Reply 7
Original post by vanboaitey
Yeah you could be considered onto the course because it doesn’t have an exclusion criteria. I would call them up to be sure. However, on results day, a friend of mine who studied maths and physics didn’t get the right results for direct entry and so he asked if they would put him on the foundation course. Unforunately, the course was full so I think you’d be able to apply, but, do double check.

Ok thanks mate

Quick Reply

Latest