The Student Room Group

The Burka should be banned in the UK.

If you go to other countries you have to wear their religious garments. The burka should be banned.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom 2001
If you go to other countries you have to wear their religious garments. The burka should be banned.

The UK does not have a religious garment!
Original post by RJomana
The UK does not have a religious garment!

Exactly. The burka should not be worn.

The Muslims have no religious garments to be worn because the UK does not have a religious garment.

Banning the burka would be a regressive step that will only worsen the already combustible religious tensions besieging the UK.

Not all the women who don the Burqa feel oppressed we also have a duty to consider those who feel empowered by wearing one. I, as an agnostic male, am not at liberty to decide how Muslim women feel or should feel about donning traditional Muslim clothing.

Ironically, by designating certain clothing as unacceptable, we are restricting freedom in our own nation, the very thing our state professes to try and protect through authoritarian proposals like these

The only time the government should restrict personal choice is if that choice can cause considerable harm to others.The real challenge is to liberate the Muslim women who feel oppressed by the burka, but we do not do that by banning it. We only have to recount the harrowing images of a Muslim woman and her daughter sobbing as she was forcibly undressed by armed police in France, to know that this course of action would be the wrong one.
No, people should have the freedom to choose what they want to wear
Just a question, would you also be in favour of banning people and arresting people wearing ninja costumes this coming Halloween?
if you go to other countries, people don’t force you to wear their religious garments if they can see you’re a foreigner..?
Reply 7

Freedom to wear or not to wear in the UK.
No ban it, it's not part of OUR culture dress in a veil.
(edited 5 years ago)
If that's what a woman feels comfortable in then she should wear it. I won't pretend I fully get the choice to wear a burka, but my friends who make the choice to wear a hijab appear proud of their faith rather than viewing it as a limitation and I respect that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Oh shut up you're so full of it. Let people wear what they want it's not any danger to you and your backwards thinking. Forcing someone out of their own clothing is ridiculous.

You make zero sense. Nobody is forcing you to wear a burka nor do they anywhere else . You look very silly.
the burka is the long black dress, which is a requirement. you're talking about the face veil which is the niqab.

would you ban nuns from wearing their traditional clothes? rather, society praises them for devoting their lives to their religion. yet you want to ban the burka because its a religious garment.

are you scared of the colour black or something
why do you have a problem with it? Im not muslim & their clothes are not harming me in anyway:/
Original post by Other_Owl
No ban it, it's not part of OUR culture dress in a veil.

Nor is telling people what to wear.

You are just trolling and your argument is illogical and makes no sense.
Original post by farihakarom
would you ban nuns from wearing their traditional clothes?

I'm not for banning such things, but I must confess that the clothing of Muslims makes me feel uncomfortable. And your remark about nuns is not very logical because there's a huge difference between a person who converted and dedicated her life to God and the one who shows her religion off... Nuns rejected the materialistic riches. Muslims, though wearing their traditional clothes, often wear expensive jewelry, designer bags, shoes, iPhones... so how can you compare them to nuns?
why does it make you uncomfortable? I actually really want to know; I want to get into the mind of an islamaphobe.

and how is someone wearing the burka/niqab showing off? what, are you jealous?

and my point compaing nuns with muslim women is if they can wear what they want and express their religious chociely freely, and so can Jewish people, and so can Hindus who want to idk wear a rakhi for Raksha Bandhan, or a Mangalsutra when they're married, what problem do you have with Muslim women who wear to express their religion too?

you are just an islamaphobe and don't use your weak argument of how society is secular to hide it.
Original post by bluemuffin
No, people should have the freedom to choose what they want to wear

So is it ok as a 20 year old male to wear a burka on the streets? I don't think so, that is a threat to national security!
Nor should it against women. The burka is a symbol of oppression in many instances. I wager most people who have the attitude "we shouldn't do it cuz..." also have the attitude to things like the statues to slave owners in the US where the debate is to be taken down, because they represent something bad. Well so does the burka.

Quick Reply

Latest