Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What could I do with BTEC business? I don’t know if I should do it or stick with IT
Student1191
Rep:
?
Bump
Cman8172
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Holy **** I’m in a similar situation. I’m doing BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Diploma even though I wanted to do BTEC IT. Unfortunately this year my school dropped the course and no nearby schools do BTEC IT so I had to pick BTEC Business at my current school for sixth form. I’m planning on doing an IT course in Uni after 2 years in Sixth Form but anyway to answer your question. To my knowledge, once you complete the course you have so many options you can pick that doesn’t have to be business related. I know someone that did BTEC Business and is now at UCL studying a course to become a teacher. Students at previous years in my school that did BTEC Business have gone off to do unrelated business courses in great universities. But I think you just need the UCAS points and a few qualifications to pick the course you want at uni and picking BTEC Business shouldn’t affect your option for IT. And once you complete the course it shows unis/employers you can use IT, work as a team and do independant research, understand other large businesses etc which is something I’m guessing they’re looking for. Stick to the subject you prefer, I would of preferred to do BTEC IT since I’m better at it than Business Studies (C at GCSE) but both courses give you so many options.
Student1191
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cman8172)
Holy **** I’m in a similar situation. I’m doing BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Diploma even though I wanted to do BTEC IT. Unfortunately this year my school dropped the course and no nearby schools do BTEC IT so I had to pick BTEC Business at my current school for sixth form. I’m planning on doing an IT course in Uni after 2 years in Sixth Form but anyway to answer your question. To my knowledge, once you complete the course you have so many options you can pick that doesn’t have to be business related. I know someone that did BTEC Business and is now at UCL studying a course to become a teacher. Students at previous years in my school that did BTEC Business have gone off to do unrelated business courses in great universities. But I think you just need the UCAS points and a few qualifications to pick the course you want at uni and picking BTEC Business shouldn’t affect your option for IT. And once you complete the course it shows unis/employers you can use IT, work as a team and do independant research, understand other large businesses etc which is something I’m guessing they’re looking for. Stick to the subject you prefer, I would of preferred to do BTEC IT since I’m better at it than Business Studies (C at GCSE) but both courses give you so many options.
I got a C in business gcse and B in gcse ICT but so far in the course it just seems more like computer science with so much coding when my favourite is hardware. Imo I think ict keeps both ict and business more open because some it related degrees require BTEC it but business ones don’t specify. Also the IT course I’m doing is the old one with 100% coursework but the business course is the new one with exams. I like how the business course has good trips. I’ve recently been thinking of becoming a teacher but I have C in English and I think B is required
Cman8172
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student1191)
I got a C in business gcse and B in gcse ICT but so far in the course it just seems more like computer science with so much coding when my favourite is hardware. Imo I think ict keeps both ict and business more open because some it related degrees require BTEC it but business ones don’t specify. Also the IT course I’m doing is the old one with 100% coursework but the business course is the new one with exams. I like how the business course has good trips. I’ve recently been thinking of becoming a teacher but I have C in English and I think B is required
Yeah, honestly it’s more about which one you like more. I prefer hardware stuff like the GCSE Computing Content more than coding since I’m terrible at it. But yeah I’m not really sure if this is correct but I think if you want more option choices at uni BTEC Business is better since Business is related to anything and can apply to many different courses but BTEC IT is more specifiy related to Computers and technology such as engineering, coding (maybe for game design?). Don’t take my word for that though. And what you said about the trips is true, my Business class is already going on a 4 day trip next week to NCS for free just to do some fun activities.
Student1191
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cman8172)
Yeah, honestly it’s more about which one you like more. I prefer hardware stuff like the GCSE Computing Content more than coding since I’m terrible at it. But yeah I’m not really sure if this is correct but I think if you want more option choices at uni BTEC Business is better since Business is related to anything and can apply to many different courses but BTEC IT is more specifiy related to Computers and technology such as engineering, coding (maybe for game design?). Don’t take my word for that though. And what you said about the trips is true, my Business class is already going on a 4 day trip next week to NCS for free just to do some fun activities.
Wow that sounds really cool. I’ve told my tutor I’d like to change and I’m waiting to find out more. I’m also worried if I’m going to lose the materials fee from the IT course and have to pay the fee for business as well because I won’t do it if this is the case. My trips involve places like amazon, JLR, and Cadbury
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
39.08%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.38%

Watched Threads