MajorXaero
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all, new poster here. F2 in GP land currently.

Wondering if there is incremental pay progression after ST3? Basic is £46,208 which I guess is more like mid/high 50s depending on out of hours commitment etc, but the pay circulars/BMA tables are blank beyond that. Seems odd to me that an ST8 would get paid the same as an ST3 - but perhaps that's the way it is...?
MajorXaero
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
No, that's the point of the new contract. Instead of small step-ups every year you now get front-loading. Hence an ST3 will earn the same as the ST8 as long as the on-call intensity is the same.

Disclaimer: I am still pay-protected on the old contract :heart:
Interesting, so slightly higher pay in ST3-6 and slightly lower in ST7-8 but overall cumulative pay is similar and you just get more of it earlier. I get the idea, still, seems weird that it doesn't really match with skill/experience as it might in other professions. Also I guess it means there's now a larger jump to consultant salary after ST?

Disclaimer: Lucky you!
dinglebells
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For some of our (slightly more junior) colleagues it is supposed to discourage specialty-hopping (since you earn as much as an ST3 in X specialty, and then another year as an ST3 in Y specialty), in the olden-days of course you would actually earn more (once you moved from X -> Y specialty you would actually move to ST4 pay grade).

Retraining in GP under the new contract would also have been extremely unwise under the 2016 terms, as you would move from ST3+ salary to CT1 salary. As opposed to moving up the pay scale by one year under the 2002 terms (e.g. ST5 respiratory reg got sick of medicine, decided to retrain as GP, would be paid ST6 wages in the olden days now they would be paid CT1 wages)

You are right, there will be a big jump but overall it should work out the same.
How much would a new consultant earn?
dinglebells
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
£76,761
does that vary with hours and nights etc.?
MajorXaero
Rep:
?
Retraining in GP under the new contract would also have been extremely unwise under the 2016 terms, as you would move from ST3+ salary to CT1 salary. As opposed to moving up the pay scale by one year under the 2002 terms (e.g. ST5 respiratory reg got sick of medicine, decided to retrain as GP, would be paid ST6 wages in the olden days now they would be paid CT1 wages)
Reading through the 2016 contract it does seem to have pay protection if you're switching to a "hard-to-fill" training programme though (which apparently includes GP, psych and higher EM. Am I interpreting this correctly?
MajorXaero
Rep:
?
You get a "Hard to fill training programme" flexible pay premia, which is currently equivalent to £20k over 3 years for GP. I would imagine it's similar for A&E doctors.

If you were receiving the pay protection you wouldn't get this premia. All of it is as clear as mud.

It's actually all in http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/...MD%2012017.pdf (Page 7)
Thanks for the info!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (64)
23.44%
No (209)
76.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed