anyone here American? Watch

kb_123xx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
anyone here american? I'm thinking of moving there after gcse an got some questions that google dont answer?
kaizomba
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yo hollah at cho boi. I am American, and I am extremely familiar with the App process. what questions?
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kb_123xx)
anyone here american? I'm thinking of moving there after gcse an got some questions that google dont answer?
don't go, trump is an idiot and sometimes even the constitution over there struggle to stop him
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
don't go, trump is an idiot and sometimes even the constitution over there struggle to stop him
err I mean I'm not really into politics so he doesnt really bother me it's more about study for me
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaizomba)
yo hollah at cho boi. I am American, and I am extremely familiar with the App process. what questions?
ok so basically yh, I'm in my last yr of skl so I'll be 16 when I plan on moving there and I would be in 11th grade when I join a skl there, so basically what do u lot study in 11th and 12th grade like do u lot do the SAT and ACT in 11th and 12th grade?
kaizomba
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok yes. So normally you take SAT or ACT your 11th grade. You pick one that you feel youll do better in. Search online for study and practice tests or buy a practice book.

Things are extremely different in the US. Grades are not everything, unlike the UK. They are very important, but they only keep your app out of the trash bin at the selective universities. They will look at your GPA (weighted/unweighted), (btw any vocab or anything I say that u dont understand just look it up haha), and the rigor (AP/honors). try to take as Many ahard classess as you can comfortably get good grades.

Extracurriculars: They are a big portion. be part of a club, get involved. Anything counts. babysitting, hiking, karate, any bs. you will write about it in your app, and you have to show them you are a committed person. better to have quality than quantity in # of activities, but its up to you to tell them in the app what you do in the activity, your impact, etc

Letters of recommendations: you usually need 2 from one humanities teacher, one from science. so go suck up to yourteachers, ask questions. dont be a slckaer.

Things outside of school matter significantly, but grades and SAT/ACT matter just as much, but more. List any awards you gotten. Dance competition, 1st place regional spelling bee.

Personal essay: I cant help you cuz each privates have their own, but you need to use the Common App, and you will have to be unique in some way.

Sry its 2 am here, and also go on College Confidential: its America's TSR.
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=kaizomba;79813076]Ok yes. So normally you take SAT or ACT your 11th grade. You pick one that you feel youll do better in. Search online for study and practice tests or buy a practice book.

Things are extremely different in the US. Grades are not everything, unlike the UK. They are very important, but they only keep your app out of the trash bin at the selective universities. They will look at your GPA (weighted/unweighted), (btw any vocab or anything I say that u dont understand just look it up haha), and the rigor (AP/honors). try to take as Many ahard classess as you can comfortably get good grades.

Extracurriculars: They are a big portion. be part of a club, get involved. Anything counts. babysitting, hiking, karate, any bs. you will write about it in your app, and you have to show them you are a committed person. better to have quality than quantity in # of activities, but its up to you to tell them in the app what you do in the activity, your impact, etc

Letters of recommendations: you usually need 2 from one humanities teacher, one from science. so go suck up to yourteachers, ask questions. dont be a slckaer.

Things outside of school matter significantly, but grades and SAT/ACT matter just as much, but more. List any awards you gotten. Dance competition, 1st place regional spelling bee.

Personal essay: I cant help you cuz each privates have their own, but you need to use the Common App, and you will have to be unique in some way.

oh u lot have to do a lot activities there.....my mum probably wont let me go on my own at 16 she said 17 so do u think 12th grade I could still do all of that? and thanks that was really helpful
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
Ok yes. So normally you take SAT or ACT your 11th grade. You pick one that you feel youll do better in. Search online for study and practice tests or buy a practice book.

u lot have to do a lot of activities there.... my mum probbaly wont let me go at 16 but 17 so do u think 12th grade I could still do all of that? but rah fam ur tests r easy multiple choice and that. and thanks this was really helpful
MyGEMJourney
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You will find it very difficult to just get into the USA from the UK unless you have an American/green card holder family member. Waiting until you actually want to go to college may be easier because you will be an international student, however it is EXTREMELY expensive and your finance options will be limited unless you get unbelievably high grades + ECs to get a scholarship.
kaizomba
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's ok. You can still write your activities in the U.K. The application is very open and expressive. You write down your extracurricular. Again, quality is king. Rather be president of one club and raise 3000 dollars for a fundraiser than be regular members of ten.

Also, beware of course requirements. Like you definitely should have four years of English ,four of math, 3 of history, and 3 of science, and foreign language courses. Each college requires differently but that is the general consensus. I'm not sure how your British grades would translate over though
kaizomba
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
USually admissions is a crapshoot. A higher gpa and sat is not guarantee, but it won't hurt. You can look at each colleges sat gap percentile online to get a just of if it's worth it to apply
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by SteveForfar)
You will find it very difficult to just get into the USA from the UK unless you have an American/green card holder family member. Waiting until you actually want to go to college may be easier because you will be an international student, however it is EXTREMELY expensive and your finance options will be limited unless you get unbelievably high grades + ECs to get a scholarship.
u can get a student visa
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
It's ok. You can still write your activities in the U.K. The application is very open and expressive. You write down your extracurricular. Again, quality is king. Rather be president of one club and raise 3000 dollars for a fundraiser than be regular members of ten.

Also, beware of course requirements. Like you definitely should have four years of English ,four of math, 3 of history, and 3 of science, and foreign language courses. Each college requires differently but that is the general consensus. I'm not sure how your British grades would translate over though
is writing these activities qnd using this app like a compulsory thing to do?
MyGEMJourney
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kb_123xx)
u can get a student visa
oh fair enough I wasn’t aware of that one. Good luck!
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by SteveForfar)
oh fair enough I wasn’t aware of that one. Good luck!
thanks
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't recommend living and studying in the U.S., having done just that for about half my life so far. The culture of how society and government are supposed to interact is very different there. People don't see the government as an institution whose job is to care for them, protect their welfare and act in their best interests. As a result, the healthcare system over there is not great - it used to be atrocious, but it's been improving - but it's still waaaay better here in the U.K. Finally, the country is full of maniacs with guns. Massacres and school shootings have become regular, normalised events.
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I wouldn't recommend living and studying in the U.S., having done just that for about half my life so far. The culture of how society and government are supposed to interact is very different there. People don't see the government as an institution whose job is to care for them, protect their welfare and act in their best interests. As a result, the healthcare system over there is not great - it used to be atrocious, but it's been improving - but it's still waaaay better here in the U.K. Finally, the country is full of maniacs with guns. Massacres and school shootings have become regular, normalised events.
I mean I would really love to go and study there of not for skl then I guess uni would be ok right. but thanks for ur advice
kaizomba
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No it’s not mandatory. Like there’s no A level minimum requirements or anything but if you dont have any then you might as well not apply. But then again you can write about your experience as British student. Again, be unique lol. It’s very hard in a sense that you have to be “one of a kind”
kb_123xx
Rep:
?
No it’s not mandatory. Like there’s no A level minimum requirements or anything but if you dont have any then you might as well not apply. But then again you can write about your experience as British student. Again, be unique lol. It’s very hard in a sense that you have to be “one of a kind”
ok thanks so much for u help I will try do this app thing. u really helped thx. is there anything u would need to no about the UK?
kaizomba
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lol I mean I guess so hahah. I made a post yesterday which a bunch of questions (if you wanna check it out, it is fairly long though), but it is mainly targeted at any other Americans with experience applying to Oxford. But like I hear in the UK that everything is academics? I am working on the UCAS personal statement, and I just wanted to know if I have to write a personal statement for each individual university, or I write one that applies to all 5 that I would apply to? Also, it is true that I should basically focus on academics and information that would be relevant to the course? I am applying for the Modern languages course for French, so I was just thinking about writing about passion for French culture, films, and literature. I have also won regional awards in French writing and standardized testing in the US and have hosted French students at my home as a cultural exchange. Although these are "extracurriculars," I feel like they are necessary and should be mentioned in the Personal Statement(s)?

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
39.08%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.38%

Watched Threads

Latest