The Student Room Group

anyone here American?

Scroll to see replies

Also, education here in the US does have its pros and cons. First of all, as an international, you would likely have to pay 3x the normal tuition for public schools, and you would probably not get any financial aid for privates. Tuition would most likely be 35k/year, plus housing for 12k/year. Just something to think about. However, campus resources are usually good because of this: good HR, good professors, school spirit, free gyms, etc. Also, school shootings are not that common. Pretty sure you have higher chance of getting hit by a car or something.

Unless you go to , at the very least, a state flagship, I would say it is not worth it. I would say a state flagship, such as UC Berkeley, UNC Chapel Hill, or UCLA, one that is well known, is worth the debt, or if the university has a particularly strong field in what you want to study. I would not go into deep debt for Kent Wood University in Tennessee or something, but definitely DEFINITELY Ivy League level schools and schools that have a name so people will not be asking what it is. (i.e.: don't be going to Kent State University or something, cuz where is dat, and literally wut)
Reply 21
Original post by kaizomba
Lol I mean I guess so hahah. I made a post yesterday which a bunch of questions (if you wanna check it out, it is fairly long though), but it is mainly targeted at any other Americans with experience applying to Oxford. But like I hear in the UK that everything is academics? I am working on the UCAS personal statement, and I just wanted to know if I have to write a personal statement for each individual university, or I write one that applies to all 5 that I would apply to? Also, it is true that I should basically focus on academics and information that would be relevant to the course? I am applying for the Modern languages course for French, so I was just thinking about writing about passion for French culture, films, and literature. I have also won regional awards in French writing and standardized testing in the US and have hosted French students at my home as a cultural exchange. Although these are "extracurriculars," I feel like they are necessary and should be mentioned in the Personal Statement(s)?

well I'm only 15 and in my last yr of secondary so idk about all this uni stuff. But I think that everything is mostly based on grades like were not that into extra activites here like u said in america so really here it's all about having the best grade possible. but I definitely think u should mention all of that french in ur personal statement coz it's quite impressive acc. what uni's r u applying for here?
Reply 22
Also, education here in the US does have its pros and cons. First of all, as an international, you would likely have to pay 3x the normal tuition for public schools, and you would probably not get any financial aid for privates. Tuition would most likely be 35k/year, plus housing for 12k/year. Just something to think about. However, campus resources are usually good because of this: good HR, good professors, school spirit, free gyms, etc. Also, school shootings are not that common. Pretty sure you have higher chance of getting hit by a car or something.

Unless you go to , at the very least, a state flagship, I would say it is not worth it. I would say a state flagship, such as UC Berkeley, UNC Chapel Hill, or UCLA, one that is well known, is worth the debt, or if the university has a particularly strong field in what you want to study. I would not go into deep debt for Kent Wood University in Tennessee or something, but definitely DEFINITELY Ivy League level schools and schools that have a name so people will not be asking what it is. (i.e.: don't be going to Kent State University or something, cuz where is dat, and literally wut)

I mean if I came at 16 and just to high skl I would just have to pay for accomadation, but r u saying I would need tuition even then? but if I go there at 18 I think I would really want to go to Stanford, I no that's like the best uni but would wanna go to that but yh was thinking bout UCLA too
Original post by kb_123xx
well I'm only 15 and in my last yr of secondary so idk about all this uni stuff. But I think that everything is mostly based on grades like were not that into extra activites here like u said in america so really here it's all about having the best grade possible. but I definitely think u should mention all of that french in ur personal statement coz it's quite impressive acc. what uni's r u applying for here?

I'm applying to Oxford, and UCL and KCL, and St Andrews.

I am actually a first year at UC San Diego right now. It is in the UC public school system, and is the 3rd best UC lol. (It goes UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC San Diego, etc.....). Is not very heard of outside of California, but people know it is a UC and in San diego, very recommended for STEM, and it is ranked most definitely top 30 in the world lol. Just a little shameless plug.

Tbh, I would only realistically consider going to Oxford. I only have the A level equivalents, referee letter, and writeen work to be competitive for French. Since language is a very useless major (do not get me wrong, I love French), it would be best to have it at the best university possible.

Btw if you do stay in the UK for university, US people generally know Oxbridge, and for some reason we consider the KCL>UCL cuz it sounds more prestigious lol. And people know st andrews cuz of the prince. XD
we are actually talking about colleges in the US, not muslims guys lol. everyone just needs to chill y'all
Reply 25
I'm applying to Oxford, and UCL and KCL, and St Andrews.

I am actually a first year at UC San Diego right now. It is in the UC public school system, and is the 3rd best UC lol. (It goes UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC San Diego, etc.....). Is not very heard of outside of California, but people know it is a UC and in San diego, very recommended for STEM, and it is ranked most definitely top 30 in the world lol. Just a little shameless plug.

Tbh, I would only realistically consider going to Oxford. I only have the A level equivalents, referee letter, and writeen work to be competitive for French. Since language is a very useless major (do not get me wrong, I love French), it would be best to have it at the best university possible.

Btw if you do stay in the UK for university, US people generally know Oxbridge, and for some reason we consider the KCL>UCL cuz it sounds more prestigious lol. And people know st andrews cuz of the prince. XD

rah ur applying to oxford and ucl u must be bare smart then. did u get like A*'s or A's in french? I acc chose french as a gcse subject, I find it kinda easy but also kinda like with the listening exams and the writing will be hard becuaze we wont no until the exam what we will have to write about. I think I heard of San Diego uni tho, is that where u live aswell like in San Diego? ngl tho I havent heard of st Andrew's uni before tho 😂 I think it's quite far from where I live
rah ur applying to oxford and ucl u must be bare smart then. did u get like A*'s or A's in french? I acc chose french as a gcse subject, I find it kinda easy but also kinda like with the listening exams and the writing will be hard becuaze we wont no until the exam what we will have to write about. I think I heard of San Diego uni tho, is that where u live aswell like in San Diego? ngl tho I havent heard of st Andrew's uni before tho 😂 I think it's quite far from where I live

I would say that I am one of the smarter people. We do not have A levels or GCSE, but our American qualifications for entrance exams are AP Exams and SAT II Subject tests, and I got 5 and 800 (both the highest score possible) on French, (I did get a C1 level on the french proficiency test the TCF test de connaissance du francais) and I have the minimum bare requirements of scores already, as well as 4 more pending predicted exam scores of 5. And my French teacher is my reference, who has put that I am her best student in French in her 30 years of teaching as well as the most motivated, passionate, and talented in the French language she has ever seen, so I really hope I have a chance hahah.
Yes, it is in San Diego. Im originally from LA though. :smile:
Reply 27
I would say that I am one of the smarter people. We do not have A levels or GCSE, but our American qualifications for entrance exams are AP Exams and SAT II Subject tests, and I got 5 and 800 (both the highest score possible) on French, (I did get a C1 level on the french proficiency test the TCF test de connaissance du francais) and I have the minimum bare requirements of scores already, as well as 4 more pending predicted exam scores of 5. And my French teacher is my reference, who has put that I am her best student in French in her 30 years of teaching as well as the most motivated, passionate, and talented in the French language she has ever seen, so I really hope I have a chance hahah.
Yes, it is in San Diego. Im originally from LA though. :smile:

that's so sick, maybe if u come here in the next yr u could be my french tutor 😂😂 i think u have a good chance at getting into oxford, since all ur qualifications r bare high and that, so hope u get in. ur from LA aswell thats bare mad ur bare lucky. but how u wouldn't wanna go France and study there, since ur really good at it?
that's so sick, maybe if u come here in the next yr u could be my french tutor 😂😂 i think u have a good chance at getting into oxford, since all ur qualifications r bare high and that, so hope u get in. ur from LA as well thats bare mad ur bare lucky. but how u wouldn't wanna go France and study there, since ur really good at it?

Actually, I did apply to study in France, for the 2018-2019 but am not going because of the paperwork (I knew there was slow paperwork and administration, but it literally makes me pull my hair out).

Also, thanks hahah. I mean, I want to go to Oxford because it is Oxford, you know? Best resources for learning and education, and the tutorial system, which looks sickkk. You can't be sure about acceptance into any top-notch university though, since Oxbridge is basically Stanford and Harvard, which are considered godly in the US XD, but I am genuinely interested in French language and culture.

In the US, you have to be well-rounded, be good at all subjects even if you want to study literature, whereas in the UK, I am applying since I am only good at French (and Math, not that it would be relevant for a French course).

This brings me to my next topic, because I technically have the bare minimum # of qualifications (French, Mathematics, and Chinese). On the Oxford webpage, it only states French as "essential", and does not even list any other subjects as "recommended" or "helpful." I feel like taking some qualifications that would be a bit more relevant even though they are not even listed on the website would be helpful? I am planning on taking some humanities related qualifications (I know you are probably not familiar with AP system, but they are): Chinese (native language), Comparative Government and Politics, Human Geography, and English Language and Literature.

I am not familiar with UK system at all, so I just want these to show that I am interested in humanities more lol (also, idk if more is better? lol)

Again thanks XD
that's so sick, maybe if u come here in the next yr u could be my french tutor 😂😂 i think u have a good chance at getting into oxford, since all ur qualifications r bare high and that, so hope u get in. ur from LA aswell thats bare mad ur bare lucky. but how u wouldn't wanna go France and study there, since ur really good at it?

also I just learned what rah means lmao I just thought you were like GAHHHH WHAT?!!?!?!?! Not exactly rich, but not poor hahah. Public universities are a lot cheaper in the US (only if you go to the same state though), so out-of-state + internationals usually have to be rich. Also, if you submit your family income level, they will give you fairly generous financial aid (although only if you are going to a public school in the same state).

For example, I will only be paying 20k per year (room +board+ a dining plan). I know I know it sounds expensive but it is a real bargain in the US. I got 12k financial aid (no need to pay back), whereas if you are out of state or international, you are not given any financial or extremely little. On top of that, you will pay more tuition, so it easily adds up to 60-70k per year. :\\\\

I see Oxford tuition is around 21k pounds for international, so that is an extreme bargain, from an american POV XDD.
Reply 30
Actually, I did apply to study in France, for the 2018-2019 but am not going because of the paperwork (I knew there was slow paperwork and administration, but it literally makes me pull my hair out).

Also, thanks hahah. I mean, I want to go to Oxford because it is Oxford, you know? Best resources for learning and education, and the tutorial system, which looks sickkk. You can't be sure about acceptance into any top-notch university though, since Oxbridge is basically Stanford and Harvard, which are considered godly in the US XD, but I am genuinely interested in French language and culture.

In the US, you have to be well-rounded, be good at all subjects even if you want to study literature, whereas in the UK, I am applying since I am only good at French (and Math, not that it would be relevant for a French course).

This brings me to my next topic, because I technically have the bare minimum # of qualifications (French, Mathematics, and Chinese). On the Oxford webpage, it only states French as "essential", and does not even list any other subjects as "recommended" or "helpful." I feel like taking some qualifications that would be a bit more relevant even though they are not even listed on the website would be helpful? I am planning on taking some humanities related qualifications (I know you are probably not familiar with AP system, but they are): Chinese (native language), Comparative Government and Politics, Human Geography, and English Language and Literature.

I am not familiar with UK system at all, so I just want these to show that I am interested in humanities more lol (also, idk if more is better? lol)

Again thanks XD

ahh that's a shame then. so if u come here u would be 2019 -2020?. u no Chinese aswell, like that is literally so kl. well at my skl they told us that to get into top uni's they want us to have good grades in history/geogrpahy english sciencr maths and a language. so obviously u got the french and maths and I think when ur applying u should definitely mention the maths aswell, I mean I guess more isn't necessarily better here coz like u said before in the US u lot have to do like bare extra activities and like here we dont really do that, it's more like here about top grades. but I guess if ur interested and u think it would increase ur chances if getting in u could do some humanities qualifications. also tho ur saying that on the website it doesnt say what u wanna no, so u should like call up the uni coz there is a contact number there.

idk if what I said kinda made any sense if helped u in anyway lol
Reply 31
also I just learned what rah means lmao I just thought you were like GAHHHH WHAT?!!?!?!?! Not exactly rich, but not poor hahah. Public universities are a lot cheaper in the US (only if you go to the same state though), so out-of-state + internationals usually have to be rich. Also, if you submit your family income level, they will give you fairly generous financial aid (although only if you are going to a public school in the same state).

For example, I will only be paying 20k per year (room +board+ a dining plan). I know I know it sounds expensive but it is a real bargain in the US. I got 12k financial aid (no need to pay back), whereas if you are out of state or international, you are not given any financial or extremely little. On top of that, you will pay more tuition, so it easily adds up to 60-70k per year. :\\\\

I see Oxford tuition is around 21k pounds for international, so that is an extreme bargain, from an american POV XDD.

ohhh I didnt realise u lot didnt use that word there 😂. when I go uni I would really like to go Stanford but I saw that it costs a lot of money but I also saw what they do financial aid and I didnt really get what that was before but now u explained, like that is acc bare mad that u dont have pay the financial aid back after but I dont understand why u dont have to pay it back after like wouldn't they want that money back after. and what exactly is tuition coz like tuition here is going to a person outside of skl to get extra help so dont really understand what tuition is for a uni??

I didnt realise that oxford was that cheap before like I was thinking it was also round that 60-70k point but that's acc pretty quite considering its like one of the best unis lol
ohhh I didnt realise u lot didnt use that word there 😂. when I go uni I would really like to go Stanford but I saw that it costs a lot of money but I also saw what they do financial aid and I didnt really get what that was before but now u explained, like that is acc bare mad that u dont have pay the financial aid back after but I dont understand why u dont have to pay it back after like wouldn't they want that money back after. and what exactly is tuition coz like tuition here is going to a person outside of skl to get extra help so dont really understand what tuition is for a uni??

I didnt realise that oxford was that cheap before like I was thinking it was also round that 60-70k point but that's acc pretty quite considering its like one of the best unis lol

its so funny cuz somehow the way you word things, I just imagine it in an exaggerated scottish accent lmao <33

lmao tuition is the cost of attendance, or the price you pay each year, and when you say it it does not include the price of housing and food, or textbooks, or anything.
Reply 34
its so funny cuz somehow the way you word things, I just imagine it in an exaggerated scottish accent lmao <33

lmao, Scottish uno 😂
I am american my dudes, Floridian to be exact :wink:
Reply 36
Original post by Helianthuss
I am american my dudes, Floridian to be exact :wink:

bare lucky
does bare mean "very" XD
Reply 38
does bare mean "very" XD

yh, good ur keeping up 😂😂. u got snap?
lmao yeah sure what syo snap