Can you name one experiment that revolutionised psychology and why?

Watch
Horner94
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Look forward to your responses.

Kind regards,
Chad
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are a few. Zimbardo's Prison Experiment in Stanford is a pretty big one. After that happened experiments had to go through ethical committees and such.
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rosenhan. The sane in insane places rlly shows what went down in mental hospitals and now they’re more strict because of that experiment
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So you're asking people to do your work for you?

What ideas do you have so far?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Horner94)
Look forward to your responses.

Kind regards,
Chad
I'm guessing this is your homework.
Cecelia Tallice
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I concur with the Stanford prison experiment, it was absolutely horrendous. It completely changed the way that experiments were conducted as regards to ethics and consent.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pathway)
There are a few. Zimbardo's Prison Experiment in Stanford is a pretty big one. After that happened experiments had to go through ethical committees and such.
(Original post by Cecelia Tallice)
I concur with the Stanford prison experiment, it was absolutely horrendous. It completely changed the way that experiments were conducted as regards to ethics and consent.

There's a film called the Stanford Prison Experiment on Netflix about the experiment. I need to get around to watching it.

Milgram's obedience study was a bit of a game changer. That also brought into question the ethics regarding experiments. It was surprising that people were just as obedient to authority years later when the experiment was recreated.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow, all suggestions are school stuff, hope you don't write about them during university, it will backfire.
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Miligram Experiment

*edit, someone's already mentioned it
Horner94
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone who shared their thoughts

Some pretty good answers.

I was just asking out of curiosity

I quite like John Watson's Little Albert experiment as it demonstrates how fear can be created by association.

You can watch it on YouTube

Kind regards,
Chad
Horner94
Rep:
?
(Original post by Findlay6)
So you're asking people to do your work for you?

What ideas do you have so far?
No, just wanted to ask out of curiosity John B. Watson's experiment (Little Albert) is probably an experiment that comes to mind - creating fear using associated objects and transferring it to another experience or object. Watch the video on YouTube, its really interesting.

Kind regards,
Chad
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology: the examination of the id by the odd
Experimental psychology: like magic except that instead of pulling rabbits out of hats they pull habits out of rats
jenniferbbelthin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm gonna crack your head open experiment
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's actually been some controversy surrounding Stanford that has been reported recently - tapes have emerged in which some of the guards were questioned by researchers as to why they didn't react in a harsher way to the ~inmates~ which obviously would have impacted how they treated them afterwards. Zimbardo has dismissed all this as not having an impact on the experiment but this is doubtful. You can read about in the latest BPS magazine issue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (11)
6.36%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (12)
6.94%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (41)
23.7%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (20)
11.56%
No, nothing has changed (60)
34.68%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (29)
16.76%

Watched Threads