The Student Room Group

Can't sustain myself for the first weeks of Uni

I had some problems with my Student Finance application, and any payments will only likely come around 4 weeks or so after the induction. That means that I won't receive any maintenance loan for some time, but I don't have any overdraft available on my account, and my parents cannot lend me money. I don't know if I'll even get the money in time to enrol on the course or to pay for the accommodation before the first instalment, but more importantly I won't be able to even feed myself for the first weeks, any advice?
Original post by fyvaproldzhe
I had some problems with my Student Finance application, and any payments will only likely come around 4 weeks or so after the induction. That means that I won't receive any maintenance loan for some time, but I don't have any overdraft available on my account, and my parents cannot lend me money. I don't know if I'll even get the money in time to enrol on the course or to pay for the accommodation before the first instalment, but more importantly I won't be able to even feed myself for the first weeks, any advice?

Speak to your bank abur a student overdraft and see if your accomodation will give you an extension.
Original post by claireestelle
Speak to your bank abur a student overdraft and see if your accomodation will give you an extension.

I applied to HSBC for a Student bank account as my first ever bank account and was rejected for having too low of a credit score so I opted in for a basic account at the time, I will reapply for a Student account again but I'm afraid it won't be successful. Switching to another bank is a possible alternative, but by then some weeks might pass already and I'll be in the same financial situation either way
Original post by fyvaproldzhe
I applied to HSBC for a Student bank account as my first ever bank account and was rejected for having too low of a credit score so I opted in for a basic account at the time, I will reapply for a Student account again but I'm afraid it won't be successful. Switching to another bank is a possible alternative, but by then some weeks might pass already and I'll be in the same financial situation either way

Does your university have a hardship fund? You can check your credit score for free with money saving expert before you try and apply for a student account again. Have you ever had any debts before?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending