emjb2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to choose an Oxford college by Monday (my school locks the UCAS form and enters us for tests then) for a maths degree.

I went on the open day and narrowed it down to Brasenose or Wadham. I like the fact that Brasenose has formal hall and the central three year accommodation. I loved Wadham's library though, and it seemed more relaxed to me. The new second year accommodation is 45 mins away from the maths institute though... 25 mins by bus and 30 mins cycle with stop lights.

So I guess my questions are how annoying is it to live far away from where your lectures and tutorials are? At which college would I have more fun (5 bops at Wadham per term vs 2 at Brasenose, which is more relaxed etc.)? And are formal halls and Oxford traditions an important part of the experience?

Thanks in advance,
Emj
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think your school can lock your UCAS, but whatever.

You can attend the formal hall of other colleges, if you are invited as a guest.

And if you're really stuck between the two colleges, bear in mind that Brasenose is consistently the most applied to college, and by choosing anywhere else you'd be decreasing the chances of being reallocated to a different college (although it should not affect your chances of getting into Oxford).
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I don't think your school can lock your UCAS, but whatever.

You can attend the formal hall of other colleges, if you are invited as a guest.

And if you're really stuck between the two colleges, bear in mind that Brasenose is consistently the most applied to college, and by choosing anywhere else you'd be decreasing the chances of being reallocated to a different college (although it should not affect your chances of getting into Oxford).
Whilst this is true in general (aggregated over all subjects) Brasenose is not particularly any more competitive for mathematics than Wadham is.
emjb2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by RichE)
Whilst this is true in general (aggregated over all subjects) Brasenose is not particularly any more competitive for mathematics than Wadham is.
True, but I'm not too worried about that right now, just trying to figure out where I'd be happier. Still torn... might go for Wadham just because it seems a bit more laid back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (663)
33.5%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.6%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.4%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.5%

Watched Threads