what is an effective way of studying all the history content?

Watch
dianasaur
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently in y11 and I'm doing crime&punishment through time, elizabeth, weimar germany and superpower relations and the cold war.
I don't really know where to begin for smart and efficient studying of all the content. pls help!!

edit: better wording + my exam board is edexcel, and can you also recommend some history study youtubers please
kb_123xx
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dianasaur)
I'm currently in y11 and I'm doing crime&punishment through time, elizabeth, weimar germany and superpower relations and the cold war.
I don't really know where to begin for smart and efficient studying of all the materials. pls help!!
I'm doing the same thing. u should start by reading the text book for a few hours 1-2, and do this everyday, i found it useful if u record urself reading these notes and then listening to them for example on the bus, way to skl genral free time, its acc better when u listen rather than read. also I found crime and punishment hard but now its quite easy I went on YouTube and theres this channel where u can also listen but can watch aswell called Mr swift history ( theres other channels aswell but I prefer this one the most) yh I found that really useful and listen to him ever day to skl and now its just in my head and I understand and rememeber everything. I think they do the other topics aswell for like germany and that. now I've started writing notes and just doing some mind maps which I found effective. but most importantly just keep going over all this information. hope this helped and made sense
dianasaur
Rep:
(Original post by kb_123xx)
I'm doing the same thing. u should start by reading the text book for a few hours 1-2, and do this everyday, i found it useful if u record urself reading these notes and then listening to them for example on the bus, way to skl genral free time, its acc better when u listen rather than read. also I found crime and punishment hard but now its quite easy I went on YouTube and theres this channel where u can also listen but can watch aswell called Mr swift history ( theres other channels aswell but I prefer this one the most) yh I found that really useful and listen to him ever day to skl and now its just in my head and I understand and rememeber everything. I think they do the other topics aswell for like germany and that. now I've started writing notes and just doing some mind maps which I found effective. but most importantly just keep going over all this information. hope this helped and made sense

thank you sooo much, yeah i love watching youtubers but just haven't found any for history so thanks a lot xx
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Chat with other people in your class about the content, plan essays, try to teach it to someone else.
Hassan113
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I did Elizabeth and Weimar last year (got an 8) what I mainly did was go through the revision guide and create questions on flashcards. Whenever I got some flashcards consistently right then I removed them from the pile leaving me with less cards that I could focus on. Tbh that's all i did, which was stupid. You should also do past papers and give them to your teacher to mark so you can go over what you need to improve on. That's all you really need to do to get a good grade in history.
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
spider diagrams, simplified notes, less fluff and more facts and figures, exact dates and correct spelled names, past paper responses, essay technique, huge timelines
dianasaur
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Chat with other people in your class about the content, plan essays, try to teach it to someone else.
thanks!
dianasaur
Rep:
(Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
spider diagrams, simplified notes, less fluff and more facts and figures, exact dates and correct spelled names, past paper responses, essay technique, huge timelines
thank you!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
moving to history
dianasaur
Rep:
(Original post by Urbex)
I did Elizabeth and Weimar last year (got an 8) what I mainly did was go through the revision guide and create questions on flashcards. Whenever I got some flashcards consistently right then I removed them from the pile leaving me with less cards that I could focus on. Tbh that's all i did, which was stupid. You should also do past papers and give them to your teacher to mark so you can go over what you need to improve on. That's all you really need to do to get a good grade in history.
thank you, that's such a relief
dianasaur
Rep:
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
moving to history
my time machine stopped working :/
Lileggg
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I just done those exams and got a 7 and I winged it.now am doing it at a level.but the day before the exams I did a all nighter and watched youtubers.they surprised us with questions from the year before which I wasn’t prepared for but still got it done
Audrey18
Report 3 years ago
thank you sooo much, yeah i love watching youtubers but just haven't found any for history so thanks a lot xx
youtube videos tend to cover too much and you can get lost in the sea of information. So look at your syllabus and then youtube only the relevant section. Besides this you'll need to be familiar with the time line so use flashcards. and finally use this forum but don't wait till a day before the exams to ask for help. You should create a topic thread here as soon as you can on a particular chapter. Ask some questions, add in some info and state the chapter and your exam board clearly. Then wait for replies.

Ignore some members who will post insignificantly. They set a daily target of posts to achieve and they think they're helping other members here but in actual fact they're not. If only they knew
dianasaur
Rep:
(Original post by Audrey18)
youtube videos tend to cover too much and you can get lost in the sea of information. So look at your syllabus and then youtube only the relevant section. Besides this you'll need to be familiar with the time line so use flashcards. and finally use this forum but don't wait till a day before the exams to ask for help. You should create a topic thread here as soon as you can on a particular chapter. Ask some questions, add in some info and state the chapter and your exam board clearly. Then wait for replies.

Ignore some members who will post insignificantly. They set a daily target of posts to achieve and they think they're helping other members here but in actual fact they're not. If only they knew
Thanks a lot! Yeah, hopefully it’s early enough in the year to actually use the help i get
Audrey18
Report 3 years ago
Thanks a lot! Yeah, hopefully it’s early enough in the year to actually use the help i get
I'm certain you will do well if you start early. There are many people outside of the UK who are from war torn countries, or have no electricity to study at night or have to work 2 jobs and juggle studied with family responsibilities and the lists goes on. You're young and as a student your main role is to study and do the best you can when you're young. When you get older, things will get complicated and it'll be difficult to focus fully on studies.
Zaporizhia
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
I'm certain you will do well if you start early. There are many people outside of the UK who are from war torn countries, or have no electricity to study at night or have to work 2 jobs and juggle studied with family responsibilities and the lists goes on. You're young and as a student your main role is to study and do the best you can when you're young. When you get older, things will get complicated and it'll be difficult to focus fully on studies.
Umm...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.74%
Note taking apps (7)
1.86%
Flashcards (86)
22.87%
Revision guides (19)
5.05%
Past papers (172)
45.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.72%

Watched Threads