The Student Room Group

my best friend killed herself and I am so down

my best friend took her own life last week because she didnt get into uni because she did worst than expected in her a levels, her funeral is this monday and i havent stop crying about her, also hard as I am trying to comfort her bf, the worst bit was her family put her down and called her a failure, I knew she was really upset when she told me this but i didnt think she would actually take her own life, I just dont know what to do other than feel so guilty.
Her life ended there, and nothing will change that. Maybe she didn't live the ideal life, but I'm sure she appreciated every moment with the people she loved that made her happy. I'm sure she wished the best for you and her boyfriend. Unfortunately life is unfair. You couldn't do anything, and you're not at fault for that. So, once you feel better the best thing you can do is to keep her in your heart, take conscience of the mental health of the people that surround you and live a happy life, as I'm sure she'd have wished. Good luck, and if you need it, we can chat
I'm really sorry to hear that.

There's nothing you could have done, sounds like you did talk to her and were a positive force in her life.

This will be a hard time but things will get better. It may be worth to talk to a doctor of school/university/college counsellor.

Take care of yourself. :smile:
Reply 3
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss, OP. I lost one of my best friends to suicide back in 2015 and lost another friend to suicide in 2017. It doesn't really ever stop hurting, you just learn to manage it. I would suggest bereavement counselling due to how it happened and because of how sudden it was. Don't ignore your self to look after others, you're important too.
Sweet Christ. Don't feel guilty, there's nothing that can be changed now. This is going to be a very dark time and you must give yourself the chance to move on once you're finished mourning. I love you.
Schools don’t understand that it can drive us to do scary things like killing ourselves because of the stress and pressure of getting into Uni.
You could never have known this was going to happen. If you had any idea you would have done something. So you can't be responsible. It is a really normal response to feel guilty and think you could have done something. Make sure you talk to people and get support for your own mental health at this time. All you can do now is try and live in a way which honours your friend, experience all the things she couldn't, talk about mental health and try and be the best person you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending