username3978426
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which is the better option if I plan to go into medicine eventually? I really enjoy chemistry but have been told that biomed would give me a better chance of getting into graduate entry medicine. My only worry is I don't end up going into medicine, how useful is a biomed degree by itself and what can I do with it? Also is a biomed course generally easier to get into than chemistry?
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say biomed helps but I’m biased since I’m doing biomed myself nevertheless it’s still a good option
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lemon27)
Which is the better option if I plan to go into medicine eventually? I really enjoy chemistry but have been told that biomed would give me a better chance of getting into graduate entry medicine. My only worry is I don't end up going into medicine, how useful is a biomed degree by itself and what can I do with it? Also is a biomed course generally easier to get into than chemistry?
Biomed is definitely more traditional for getting into graduate entry medicine. Some medical school specifically ask for "life sciences".

Hvae you read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf ? (The second half)

Can I ask why you didn't apply for undergrad medicine?

:crossedf: for you
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maybe Biomed although I've applied to Pharmacy with predicted grades (BBB) and going through grad med that way.. however, isn't it that Biomed is quite competitive since the majority of the students doing biomed want to Med graduate.. You can go through any route in order to do med graduate so long as you get 2:1 (think you already know that haha) but yeah, Biomed is a good option..
username3978426
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Biomed is definitely more traditional for getting into graduate entry medicine. Some medical school specifically ask for "life sciences".

Hvae you read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf ? (The second half)

Can I ask why you didn't apply for undergrad medicine?

:crossedf: for you
Thanks for the link, I didn't realise some schools only ask for life sciences.
I'm in year 13 currently and didn't apply for undergrad as I'm doing modular A levels and achieved B grades in my AS exams so I'll be resitting a few to hopefully bring my grades up to A's. I could alternatively apply at the end of year 13 with my final grades, but it's not guaranteed I'll get high enough grades to get in, also I'd like to start uni straight away.
username3978426
Rep:
?
(Original post by Professional G)
I would say biomed helps but I’m biased since I’m doing biomed myself nevertheless it’s still a good option
Yeah I've been told biomed is the better option. What grades did you need for biomed if you don't mind me asking?
Professional G
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I've been told biomed is the better option. What grades did you need for biomed if you don't mind me asking?
It depends. For a good uni, I would say anywhere between BBB - AAA
username1562597
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Biomed is the most common choice because some med schools ask for life sciences.

But it doesn't matter what subject you choose aslong as you get a 2.1. There's a guy on here who did Economics at LSE, scored 80 on the GAMSAT and got 4 offers.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the link, I didn't realise some schools only ask for life sciences.
I'm in year 13 currently and didn't apply for undergrad as I'm doing modular A levels and achieved B grades in my AS exams so I'll be resitting a few to hopefully bring my grades up to A's.
I sat modular AS/A2 levels - there were the best thing! Resitting individual modules wouldn't count as a resit unless you had to take more than 2 years.

could alternatively apply at the end of year 13 with my final grades, but it's not guaranteed I'll get high enough grades to get in, also I'd like to start uni straight away.
Have you started? Done any preparations e.g. UKCAT or personal statements? Remember graduate entry medicine is much more compeititve. There will also be extra time and money involved. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about specifics.
username3978426
Rep:
?
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
Maybe Biomed although I've applied to Pharmacy with predicted grades (BBB) and going through grad med that way.. however, isn't it that Biomed is quite competitive since the majority of the students doing biomed want to Med graduate.. You can go through any route in order to do med graduate so long as you get 2:1 (think you already know that haha) but yeah, Biomed is a good option..
Yeah I thought a 2:1 in something like chemistry could still get into med as I'll have A level biology too. But now that i'm thinking about it, biomed would probably be the better option. ugh im so confused i've written like 3 different personal statements for different courses 😂
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I thought a 2:1 in something like chemistry could still get into med as I'll have A level biology too. But now that i'm thinking about it, biomed would probably be the better option. ugh im so confused i've written like 3 different personal statements for different courses 😂
I have written one personal statement for med and pharmacy my school told me it isn't necessary for me to write two since pharm is my fifth option.. do biomed then, if you think it will be better.... It's annoying all these long routes but I know I can't get into med this year due to my bloody predicted grades being BBB hahah.
username3978426
Rep:
?
(Original post by Professional G)
It depends. For a good uni, I would say anywhere between BBB - AAA
are most people on your course planning to do medicine after biomed?
username3978426
Rep:
?
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
I have written one personal statement for med and pharmacy my school told me it isn't necessary for me to write two since pharm is my fifth option.. do biomed then, if you think it will be better.... It's annoying all these long routes but I know I can't get into med this year due to my bloody predicted grades being BBB hahah.
oh i see, I'm pretty much in the same situation. Good luck to you!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sadly, a significant proportion of biomed students (precise statistics are hard to obtain, because people don't really state their true intentions) would have wanted to do medicine and didn't get in.
Professional G
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some are. It’s competitive but the uni places their own applicants above other uni applicants so they have an advantage
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh i see, I'm pretty much in the same situation. Good luck to you!
same goes to you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads