The Student Room Group

Woodwind Society!

Scroll to see replies

Oh yes, just out of interest, if you're learning bassoon by yourself; I'd be more than happy to give hints particularly on fingerings to get better tuning as finger charts are, tbh, useless on a bassoon. THeyre all unique 'creatures' :biggrin:

I really like this thread, nice one Yuna. :smile:
Reply 61
Unfortunate things are timetable clashes. I was lucky to never really experience one.

I'm about to graduate from doing a music degree at uni so will happily answer any questions about it :smile:.
I don't really want this to die.
So... Any new problems today with your instruments?
My perfect reed made me not so reluctant to learn my scales. :smile:
Reply 63
Cool :smile:

Nah, no problems today because I've not played anything, been trying to study (in between online games!) Doesn't look like the society is getting approved but we've still got the thread so that doesn't matter too much :smile:
Reply 64
I've done a bit of saxophone practice, not going too great, but can do some more later.
I did a little bit of flute practice today, as I've got a lesson tomorrow, but I'm back to this orchestration assignment now!
Reply 66
I've got a saxophone lesson on Wednesday, yay :biggrin:. I did orchestration last year and last semester. Love it :biggrin:.
I actually did some good practice today. But only on oboe. Now I have a good reed, its my favourite instrument. :love:

I know most of my scales bar a few weird minors and the odd dominant 7th :tongue:

Might do some bassooning later. :smile:

We don't need to be a society. pha!
Although it's not very fair :frown:
sexysax
I've got a saxophone lesson on Wednesday, yay :biggrin:. I did orchestration last year and last semester. Love it :biggrin:.

I like it too, but I'm just not in the mood for work so it's taking me ages, but I haven't got the option to put it off anymore lol.
Wow, you all play instruments that I've always perceived as fairly rare
[There's only one bassoonist and one oboe player in my school, and very few saxes (who aren't very good, bless them - they absolutely murdered 'Memory' from Catz in band the other day)].

I play the clarinet [Grade 5 is in June] then a tenor sax was thrust at me by my clarinet teacher two months ago. I'm teaching myself: scales (oh the joy!)/old clarinet music/borrowed books.

I'd love to be able to play the oboe or the flute. I love listening to both of them. (They're my post-uni projects. I need to persuade my parents to buy me my own clarinet first!)
Yeah, you're right. I'm basically the only oboist around here, although our city has probably the largest youth bassoon section in the world! We have a bassoon ensemble with about 12 players in. I aren't though - sax ensemble at the same time :frown:

But saxes aren't too rare, just not as common as flutes and claris.

I still get astounded when people don't know what a sax is though. People ask me all the time if the can 'have a go on my trumpet'.
I always answer, 'If i had one you could!'
Doublereedfreak
I still get astounded when people don't know what a sax is though. People ask me all the time if the can 'have a go on my trumpet'.
I always answer, 'If i had one you could!'

"I really liked that piece you played on your saxophone!!"

... it's a clarinet :p: They're not even the same colour like a trumpet + a sax!
I really understand when people assume my bassoon is a giant bong or something when I'm playing a school, but surely everyone has watched the simpsons at some point to know what a sax is?!?!

But because I'm mean I don't tolerate anyone mistaking my oboe for a clarinet, as it happens waaaay too often.
Reply 73
Just played my recital pieces to my housemate... not toooo bad...
sexysax
Just played my recital pieces to my housemate... not toooo bad...

When's the recital? Mine's in 2/3 weeks, and I've got to have a wisdom tooth out and my flute teacher is begging me to leave it until the summer! Don't know if I can wait that long though...lol
Reply 75
I think it's in around 6 weeks, very very short as I'm in my third year and chose to have most of my credits on a dissertation. So just a few movements from a sonata but have clarinet to practice too for ensemble module. That's more difficult...Nielsen Wind Quintet...
ooh i had a nielsen grade 6 piece. Its nice but the poulenc sonata for grade 8 is amazing.
Yeah I chose to do a dissertation for next year instead of an extra recital, as for the extra work it would involve it didn't really seem worth it, especially as I'd still have to write 6,000 words on what I played! So I thought, if I can write 6,000 words on something then I can probably blag another 4,000!

I've played the flute Poulenc Sonata, but I don't think that's the one you're on about Doublereedfreak!
I like the movement Elegie (no French grammar marks -_- )

It's really great. It may be the same as we're both C instruements and if it's written for oboe, the only note you cant reach is Bb, of which there is none.
Reply 79
tinkerbellejess
When's the recital? Mine's in 2/3 weeks, and I've got to have a wisdom tooth out and my flute teacher is begging me to leave it until the summer! Don't know if I can wait that long though...lol

:frown: If it's a partially erupted wisdom tooth and your dentist is recommending you need it out... A couple of my friends have had pericoronitis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pericoronitis and that would really put a downer on your recital if that happened.

Then again, I can't say much, I'll need my wisdom teeth out at some point but I'm paranoid about lingual nerve damage (only because I've looked into the anatomy aspect a little too much, I know it'd likely never happen :biggrin:) and ain't gonna let a dentist near them until I'm in too much pain to fend them off! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest