Streetlight shines like a floodlight in my room Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ive always disliked strong street lights shining through my bedroom window at night. Theres one right outside my home my bedroom is at the back so its over like a mini path area. The light hadn't been on for 5 years it was broken due to works being done etc. The path was still lit however due to the light further up. Some neighbours have moved in a few months ago and demanded to the council that the light be fixed as she wanted it on. She knew that I didn't like it on as it shone through my bedroom window I mentioned it and she said 'oh you can get light guards for them.' She rang the council up everyday and they finally have put it on but its like a floodlight right in my room. Ive got curtains and blinds but still my whole bedroom is lit up. The other neighbours said that the path was well lit without it being turned on. I think that the woman wanted it on so her vehicle was lit up and obviously she didn't want to pay for a security light or something. Ive asked for a guard for it and the council put one on but it hardly does anything its not very deep.

So thats it, neighbour got what she wanted, she smiles at me in the street and all that but she doesn't care. Its not affecting her, her home is nice and dark on the other side. No one cares. What do I do?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
get some proper blackout curtains:

https://www.next.co.uk/shop/departme...ining-blackout
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ive always disliked strong street lights shining through my bedroom window at night. Theres one right outside my home my bedroom is at the back so its over like a mini path area. The light hadn't been on for 5 years it was broken due to works being done etc. The path was still lit however due to the light further up. Some neighbours have moved in a few months ago and demanded to the council that the light be fixed as she wanted it on. She knew that I didn't like it on as it shone through my bedroom window I mentioned it and she said 'oh you can get light guards for them.' She rang the council up everyday and they finally have put it on but its like a floodlight right in my room. Ive got curtains and blinds but still my whole bedroom is lit up. The other neighbours said that the path was well lit without it being turned on. I think that the woman wanted it on so her vehicle was lit up and obviously she didn't want to pay for a security light or something. Ive asked for a guard for it and the council put one on but it hardly does anything its not very deep.

So thats it, neighbour got what she wanted, she smiles at me in the street and all that but she doesn't care. Its not affecting her, her home is nice and dark on the other side. No one cares. What do I do?
You need a black-out blind; they are very effective.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
You need a black-out blind; they are very effective.
I have a blackout blind, it helps a bit but my room is still lit up as the light shines round the edges. I used to let the morning light wake me up naturally in the morning (well in summer ) but can't do that anymore. I'l have to buy some shutters probably.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You might get somewhere by complaining to the council if they put a new lighthead on an existing pole which has a different lighting pattern to the original one e.g. they replaced it with an inappropriate LED unit.

some of the streetlights in my area have a 'collar' behind the lamp to stop light spilling onto upstairs windows - presumably because of residents complaining.

...but basically invest in some blackout material.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (24)
6.54%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (211)
57.49%
No (132)
35.97%

Watched Threads