Studying at night or in the morning. Watch

Moonlit_Centaur
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Say you had an hour left of revision to do before your exam and you had been studying all evening. Is it better to stay awake for the extra hour and complete it that night or should you go to sleep and wake up an hour earlier the next day to do it? At the the moment I prefer to stay up late than get up early but I was wondering what the rest of you think.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Go to sleep earlier and wake up earlier.

When you wake up you have more energy, usually more productive compared to evening. Just make sure you get enough sleep.

Getting enough sleep is more important than last minute revision.
username3978426
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I usually do it at night, even though it’s not ideal
Moonlit_Centaur
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemon27)
I usually do it at night, even though it’s not ideal
So do I because I find it hard to sleep and hard to wake up. I think I should do it at night because it will be hard to get up early the next morning, but I might try morning revision next exam season.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Moonlit_Centaur)
Say you had an hour left of revision to do before your exam and you had been studying all evening. Is it better to stay awake for the extra hour and complete it that night or should you go to sleep and wake up an hour earlier the next day to do it? At the the moment I prefer to stay up late than get up early but I was wondering what the rest of you think.
Honestly neither. The question is fundamentally flawed by asking which of two bad situations is preferred, when the situation can be avoided completely. I'd rather not be in the position of needing to do an hour of last minute revision than have to choose between last minute the night before or last minute early morning.

Ultimately, if you have left it that late to begin with then the extra hour is not going to be of much benefit. If you'd revised all night, an extra hour won't help. The sleep will be better for you. If you get up early and feel fine, a last minute check of your notes isn't necessarily an issue.

But the correct answer is to neither do last minute revision the night before or the morning of the exam. The correct answer is to do your revision earlier than this, so that you don't feel the need to cram last minute in the first place.
Moonlit_Centaur
Rep:
?
I wasn't thinking about last minute revision as such, I know not to leave it that late. I was thinking more about checking I know all of the equations, formulas, keyworfs etc before the exam. Is that better the night before or the morning of?
pgxrcix
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It doesn't matter. In the Czech Republic I had exams almost every day so no matter when you started you never remembered everything perfectly as there was no time to practise. I remember staying up late at night and waking up around 5 am to revise some more. However, I my STM (short-term memory) was great so it helped me loads to spend every possible minute before the exam revising.
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Moonlit_Centaur)
I wasn't thinking about last minute revision as such, I know not to leave it that late. I was thinking more about checking I know all of the equations, formulas, keyworfs etc before the exam. Is that better the night before or the morning of?
Still neither, if you don't know it the night before or the morning of the exam then you're not going to know it. The idea is that you should be confident you know and don't need to do those last minute checks. Confident because you put the work in and confident in a general sense of not being worried about the exam.

As a last minute reminder, the morning of the exam is better. But this shouldn't need to be a major thing, nor should you rely on doing it. The only reason I would look at notes the morning of an exam is to get my brain into gear, thinking about those exam topics.

If you feel that you need to do a check of formulas, key words, etc. the night before or the morning of the exam then that's an issue with your confidence. If you've put the work in and can recall everything without notes, you've done enough and should feel confident that you've done the work you needed to do. At that point, it's more of a personal ritual for you and there's no right or wrong answer to this question. As above, the only reason I'd look at my notes right before an exam is to get my brain thinking about those topics (especially if I had lots of different exams). It would never be a last minute check that I know all the content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (413)
18.6%
The paper was reasonable (1054)
47.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (493)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (261)
11.75%

Watched Threads