ak239139
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there, I am just really anxious whether I should drop ICT or not. My teacher encouraged me to keep ICT as an AS level and then maybe drop it as A2 if i dont enjoy it or get a bad grade as its my 4th A level. But other people told me that I should drop it as its useless because I am already doing computer science I have picked Maths, Further maths and computer science as my other A levels. I really need some strong opinions. thank you
ForeverAQx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should do what you feel, obviously with A2, the workload and revision will be more.
Obviously all of those A levels are all good options to do, but its all dependant on you and what you feel will benefit you. Hope this helps
Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ak239139)
Hi there, I am just really anxious whether I should drop ICT or not. My teacher encouraged me to keep ICT as an AS level and then maybe drop it as A2 if i dont enjoy it or get a bad grade as its my 4th A level. But other people told me that I should drop it as its useless because I am already doing computer science I have picked Maths, Further maths and computer science as my other A levels. I really need some strong opinions. thank you
If it’s definitely your worst then yeah drop. The extra time to revise the other subjects will be so valuable
ak239139
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForeverAQx)
You should do what you feel, obviously with A2, the workload and revision will be more.
Obviously all of those A levels are all good options to do, but its all dependant on you and what you feel will benefit you. Hope this helps
(Original post by Student1191)
If it’s definitely your worst then yeah drop. The extra time to revise the other subjects will be so valuable
The workload won't bother me I think. I will have enough time to revise for my other subjects too. But would the ICT qualification be pretty much worthless if I am doing computer science? I want to make a decision based on that. I would have enough time to revise for my other subjects as i like to learn it
Student1191
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The workload won't bother me I think. I will have enough time to revise for my other subjects too. But would the ICT qualification be pretty much worthless if I am doing computer science? I want to make a decision based on that. I would have enough time to revise for my other subjects as i like to learn it
In England ICT GCSE and A level have been scrapped for being too easy and may even be considered a ‘soft subject’ so I’d still recommend drop
ak239139
Rep:
?
In England ICT GCSE and A level have been scrapped for being too easy and may even be considered a ‘soft subject’ so I’d still recommend drop
But I live in Wales. Is is the same here? However, I might apply to a english university after my A levels
Student1191
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But I live in Wales. Is is the same here? However, I might apply to a english university after my A levels
I live in wales too! I hate WJEC. Anyway wales is basically a few years behind England you could say they’re letting them test the new systems such as number grades and reformed a levels. I believe I seen somewhere that ICT GCSE and a level will stop being taught 2021
Chloefaye9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I studied ICT because I love the subject and did pretty well in it because of that. If you already have a university degree in mind, then I recommend picking subjects that are most likely to get you a place at a university offering that particular degree, otherwise just do something that you’ll enjoy.
ak239139
Rep:
?
I live in wales too! I hate WJEC. Anyway wales is basically a few years behind England you could say they’re letting them test the new systems such as number grades and reformed a levels. I believe I seen somewhere that ICT GCSE and a level will stop being taught 2021
xD. If they will stop teaching ict and gcse then I will just drop it for sure because that cannot mean anything good. i will try to find something about it. i hate wjec too btw xd
ak239139
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chloefaye9)
I studied ICT because I love the subject and did pretty well in it because of that. If you already have a university degree in mind, then I recommend picking subjects that are most likely to get you a place at a university offering that particular degree, otherwise just do something that you’ll enjoy.
Ok thanks, I do not enjoy ICT tbh but it looked like a free qualification to me. That is why i picked it and I defnitely do not have a university degree with IT in mind.
Student1191
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
xD. If they will stop teaching ict and gcse then I will just drop it for sure because that cannot mean anything good. i will try to find something about it. i hate wjec too btw xd
Yeah it had lots of bad press when it was removed so employers may be wary. I considered it when picking my a levels but was put off by the 2.5h exam
Chloefaye9
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok thanks, I do not enjoy ICT tbh but it looked like a free qualification to me. That is why i picked it and I defnitely do not have a university degree with IT in mind.
I definitely recommend changing it then because you’ll probably find the subject uninspiring if it’s not your cup of tea. I decided to drop out of physics during AS and take up English Language and it was honestly the best decision I could’ve made.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (217)
33.91%
No (423)
66.09%

Watched Threads