The Student Room Group

Should I drop ICT?

Hi there, I am just really anxious whether I should drop ICT or not. My teacher encouraged me to keep ICT as an AS level and then maybe drop it as A2 if i dont enjoy it or get a bad grade as its my 4th A level. But other people told me that I should drop it as its useless because I am already doing computer science I have picked Maths, Further maths and computer science as my other A levels. I really need some strong opinions. thank you
You should do what you feel, obviously with A2, the workload and revision will be more.
Obviously all of those A levels are all good options to do, but its all dependant on you and what you feel will benefit you. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ak239139
Hi there, I am just really anxious whether I should drop ICT or not. My teacher encouraged me to keep ICT as an AS level and then maybe drop it as A2 if i dont enjoy it or get a bad grade as its my 4th A level. But other people told me that I should drop it as its useless because I am already doing computer science I have picked Maths, Further maths and computer science as my other A levels. I really need some strong opinions. thank you

If it’s definitely your worst then yeah drop. The extra time to revise the other subjects will be so valuable
Reply 3
Original post by ForeverAQx
You should do what you feel, obviously with A2, the workload and revision will be more.
Obviously all of those A levels are all good options to do, but its all dependant on you and what you feel will benefit you. Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by Student1191
If it’s definitely your worst then yeah drop. The extra time to revise the other subjects will be so valuable

The workload won't bother me I think. I will have enough time to revise for my other subjects too. But would the ICT qualification be pretty much worthless if I am doing computer science? I want to make a decision based on that. I would have enough time to revise for my other subjects as i like to learn it
The workload won't bother me I think. I will have enough time to revise for my other subjects too. But would the ICT qualification be pretty much worthless if I am doing computer science? I want to make a decision based on that. I would have enough time to revise for my other subjects as i like to learn it

In England ICT GCSE and A level have been scrapped for being too easy and may even be considered a ‘soft subject’ so I’d still recommend drop
Reply 5
In England ICT GCSE and A level have been scrapped for being too easy and may even be considered a ‘soft subject’ so I’d still recommend drop

But I live in Wales. Is is the same here? However, I might apply to a english university after my A levels
But I live in Wales. Is is the same here? However, I might apply to a english university after my A levels

I live in wales too! I hate WJEC. Anyway wales is basically a few years behind England you could say they’re letting them test the new systems such as number grades and reformed a levels. I believe I seen somewhere that ICT GCSE and a level will stop being taught 2021
I studied ICT because I love the subject and did pretty well in it because of that. If you already have a university degree in mind, then I recommend picking subjects that are most likely to get you a place at a university offering that particular degree, otherwise just do something that you’ll enjoy.
Reply 8
I live in wales too! I hate WJEC. Anyway wales is basically a few years behind England you could say they’re letting them test the new systems such as number grades and reformed a levels. I believe I seen somewhere that ICT GCSE and a level will stop being taught 2021

xD. If they will stop teaching ict and gcse then I will just drop it for sure because that cannot mean anything good. i will try to find something about it. i hate wjec too btw xd
Reply 9
Original post by Chloefaye9
I studied ICT because I love the subject and did pretty well in it because of that. If you already have a university degree in mind, then I recommend picking subjects that are most likely to get you a place at a university offering that particular degree, otherwise just do something that you’ll enjoy.

Ok thanks, I do not enjoy ICT tbh but it looked like a free qualification to me. That is why i picked it and I defnitely do not have a university degree with IT in mind.
xD. If they will stop teaching ict and gcse then I will just drop it for sure because that cannot mean anything good. i will try to find something about it. i hate wjec too btw xd

Yeah it had lots of bad press when it was removed so employers may be wary. I considered it when picking my a levels but was put off by the 2.5h exam
Ok thanks, I do not enjoy ICT tbh but it looked like a free qualification to me. That is why i picked it and I defnitely do not have a university degree with IT in mind.

I definitely recommend changing it then because you’ll probably find the subject uninspiring if it’s not your cup of tea. I decided to drop out of physics during AS and take up English Language and it was honestly the best decision I could’ve made.

Quick Reply

Latest