zghghghz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A bit of background, I've just started year 13 and I'm studying English Language, French and Psychology.
So I went to Uni of Nottingham open day today after thinking for a year that it would be my first choice. I went to the criminology talk and after about 5 minutes I realised it was not the course or uni for me at all. The criminology course at Nottingham was very much based on crime in relation to society as opposed to the individual, which is what I'm more interested in. I want to join the police and work in the CID unit as a detective and so I think a course that centres more on why people commit crimes and what motivates them to do so would be more beneficial to me but also I think I would enjoy it more. Does anyone know any unis that offer this sort of course? I'd prefer not to do joint honours but any suggestions help, my ALPS are BBB.
Thank you!!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zghghghz)
A bit of background, I've just started year 13 and I'm studying English Language, French and Psychology.
So I went to Uni of Nottingham open day today after thinking for a year that it would be my first choice. I went to the criminology talk and after about 5 minutes I realised it was not the course or uni for me at all. The criminology course at Nottingham was very much based on crime in relation to society as opposed to the individual, which is what I'm more interested in. I want to join the police and work in the CID unit as a detective and so I think a course that centres more on why people commit crimes and what motivates them to do so would be more beneficial to me but also I think I would enjoy it more. Does anyone know any unis that offer this sort of course? I'd prefer not to do joint honours but any suggestions help, my ALPS are BBB.
Thank you!!
If you were to do a joint honours with psychology you *may* get something closer to what you're after than a single honours criminology degree. In terms of which is more suited to your particular tastes, the best answer I can give you is get researching. If you're looking to for the Midlands region since you've looked at Nottingham, then there's Nottingham Trent, Birmingham, Coventry, Northampton, Wolverhampton, Keele, Staffs, Aston. Plenty of unis nearby, and many of them will do criminology courses. You'll have to look to see whether it's the one for you though.
zghghghz
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, I've done a bit of research and spoken to someone who studied Criminology and Law at Lincoln so I'm going to look at that along with Keele, Derby, Birmingham. I'm just a bit worried that every criminology course is going to be sociology based.
zghghghz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bruce Norris)
Why not apply to the police directly?
I have thought about it but in all honesty I think I would be missing out if I don't go to uni and as of 2020 you have to have a degree to be in the police anyway.
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zghghghz)
I have thought about it but in all honesty I think I would be missing out if I don't go to uni and as of 2020 you have to have a degree to be in the police anyway.
Hi zghghghz

We offer a few Criminology courses which you can find info about here: http://www.staffs.ac.uk/courses/subj...-and-terrorism

In addition we also offer a range of Policing and Crime Investigtion courses, including the Policing and Criminal Investigation BSc Hons - http://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/polic...ation-bsc-msci - which might be of interest too.

Similarly our Forensic Psychology BSc Hons course covers the roles of psychology and forensic science in the criminal justice system so is probably worth looking at too - http://www.staffs.ac.uk/course/forensic-psychology-bsc

If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a shout

Thanks

Amy
Lightningtank224
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
If you were to do a joint honours with psychology you *may* get something closer to what you're after than a single honours criminology degree. In terms of which is more suited to your particular tastes, the best answer I can give you is get researching. If you're looking to for the Midlands region since you've looked at Nottingham, then there's Nottingham Trent, Birmingham, Coventry, Northampton, Wolverhampton, Keele, Staffs, Aston. Plenty of unis nearby, and many of them will do criminology courses. You'll have to look to see whether it's the one for you though.
Where do you go now if you don’t mind me asking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (91)
38.24%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
10.5%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.56%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.95%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.61%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed