The Student Room Group

Psychology for a fifth choice?

I'm applying to medicine for my first 4 choices and have decided to use psychology as my fifth choice (while I like biomed course, I prefer the psychology ones more)

I was wondering if anyone had any past experience with doing this or knew which universities allowed you to send a second personal statement when applying

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by LordLucifer
I'm applying to medicine for my first 4 choices and have decided to use psychology as my fifth choice (while I like biomed course, I prefer the psychology ones more)

I was wondering if anyone had any past experience with doing this or knew which universities allowed you to send a second personal statement when applying

Thank you

You get one personal statement. I believe that one exception is Durham. Apart from that they make no exceptions unfortunately.
Original post by ruthf
You get one personal statement. I believe that one exception is Durham. Apart from that they make no exceptions unfortunately.

They can do, but it's up to the individual uni and is done outside the UCAS system.

OP, try emailing a couple and explain. You should be okay, psychology isn't particularly competitive (obviously depends on the uni) and it's easy to explain why you chose medicine for your other choices. They'd be lucky to have you! Good luck, and any questions about psychology fire away too :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by furryface12
They can do, but it's up to the individual uni and is done outside the UCAS system.

OP, try emailing a couple and explain. You should be okay, psychology isn't particularly competitive (obviously depends on the uni) and it's easy to explain why you chose medicine for your other choices. They'd be lucky to have you! Good luck, and any questions about psychology fire away too :smile:

I’ve known people who have attempted this and had no luck. OP is more than welcome to try and it’s great if you have experience of a different outcome. Personally I had only ever heard of people being refused outright.
In case others do look at this thread

I've emailed the three I'm considering for a fifth choice today and got a response

Manchester: If applicants apply for Psychology but their personal statement is not tailored towards Psychology, then we do request one via email.
York: Need to send to admissions office with my UCAS ID (i assume for all of them i would need to send with my UCAS ID so they can add to my file)
Sheffield: we are happy to receive a personal statement for Psychology via email

Ill be editing this so show what the others say

All the universities seem really understanding
If you are in a similar position, don't be afraid to email them
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by furryface12

Thank you so much for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending