The Student Room Group

A level organisation help?

been in college for a week now, its going okay.
i take,
Ancient history, Modern history and drama/theater studies.
Drama is going amazing while the two histories not so much.
NOTHING IS STAYING INSIDE MY HEAD. my note taking is awful, i have no folders so all the sheets from ancient and modern are crumpled at the bottom OF MY BAG.
i need help ASAP, ive opted to buying 3 lever arch files and 2 ring binders.
3 lever arch files is for each subject, the 2 histories stay at home while dram stays in the drama room (as she lets you :smile: ).
1 ring binder for classical greek (language) and another to put my notes/homework/extra bits and peices in to take home and stuff.

does this seem to be a good idea ?
additionally ill also start sorting my frees out and making a timetable to do homework and private study.

im finding the history so hard its unbelievable, also how can i make otes quick and efficient neatly, as the tutors just speak to fast? thanks!
Reply 1
I’m a current Y13 student and..
If you are missing chances to make notes, I’d ask the teachers to slow down or, if they won’t do that ask if you can have the presentations that they use to make personal notes later.
Folders would be a great start also.
For note taking what I’d do is before you write something down, do you already know this and can you paraphrase it while in the lesson and expand on it in a free ( that would double up for revision also)
Another good revision strategy is to make summary notes of the topic when you have completed it and then when you come to revise you have the whole content in a much more condensed form and as they have been written by you, you will likely understand it better.

I know I’ve mentioned revision about 6 times and that you’ve only been in college a week but I’ve found that early exam prep (and completing past papers often) is a good way to secure high grades in year 12 and hopefully that it will continue for this year also!
Reply 2
Okay, thanks. Im struggling alot, i just dont get how everyone in the class knows the answer to everything xDThanks again.
I've just started year 12 and basically I've bought a ring binder and I'm putting all of my work four all 4 subjects I do in there. Then when it gets full, I'm gonna put all of the oldest pieces of work in a lever arch folder at home so the lever arch acts as a kind of archive. That way I can have all the work I need for each day in one place and keep a hold of old work so I can look back over it when I come to revise.
Reply 4
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I've just started year 12 and basically I've bought a ring binder and I'm putting all of my work four all 4 subjects I do in there. Then when it gets full, I'm gonna put all of the oldest pieces of work in a lever arch folder at home so the lever arch acts as a kind of archive. That way I can have all the work I need for each day in one place and keep a hold of old work so I can look back over it when I come to revise.

Yer, that was the basic idea i was going to go for. Sound like a good plan.
Original post by JRimmer27
Yer, that was the basic idea i was going to go for. Sound like a good plan.

It's worked well so far. I had the same problem as you. I didn't know that we were going to get given so much paper so it all got scrunched up in my bag.
Reply 6
It's worked well so far. I had the same problem as you. I didn't know that we were going to get given so much paper so it all got scrunched up in my bag.

My OCD is gonna kill me about the paper. Should i keep it or just throw it away. I cant decide. As i dont want scrunched up paper!
My OCD is gonna kill me about the paper. Should i keep it or just throw it away. I cant decide. As i dont want scrunched up paper!

If it's important then keep it. If it's notes you could just re write them if you're that bothered but yeah if it's going to help you in the future then keep it.
Reply 8
If it's important then keep it. If it's notes you could just re write them if you're that bothered but yeah if it's going to help you in the future then keep it.

Thats tthe thing. Donr know if it is. Its to hard this. Im stressed out. I havent wrote any notes either bbecause i just dont understand anything!!
Thats tthe thing. Donr know if it is. Its to hard this. Im stressed out. I havent wrote any notes either bbecause i just dont understand anything!!

If you don't understand you should be asking questions in lessons. If you don't want to put your hand up then make sure to ask after the lesson. A levels are really big content - wise so you need to make sure you understand it as soon as possible. If you're in doubt whether it's important or not then just keep it.
Reply 10
If you don't understand you should be asking questions in lessons. If you don't want to put your hand up then make sure to ask after the lesson. A levels are really big content - wise so you need to make sure you understand it as soon as possible. If you're in doubt whether it's important or not then just keep it.

Okay thank you x
Reply 11
been in college for a week now, its going okay.
i take,
Ancient history, Modern history and drama/theater studies.
Drama is going amazing while the two histories not so much.
NOTHING IS STAYING INSIDE MY HEAD. my note taking is awful, i have no folders so all the sheets from ancient and modern are crumpled at the bottom OF MY BAG.
i need help ASAP, ive opted to buying 3 lever arch files and 2 ring binders.
3 lever arch files is for each subject, the 2 histories stay at home while dram stays in the drama room (as she lets you :smile: ).
1 ring binder for classical greek (language) and another to put my notes/homework/extra bits and peices in to take home and stuff.

does this seem to be a good idea ?
additionally ill also start sorting my frees out and making a timetable to do homework and private study.

im finding the history so hard its unbelievable, also how can i make otes quick and efficient neatly, as the tutors just speak to fast? thanks!

What exam board for both histories. I am to struggling with my subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest