Furry's second grade- a chronic illness blog Watch

furryface12
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Update 16- semester 2, week 3

An update actually on time, what is the world coming to!

Not the best week ever but not the worst. Being at home last weekend was really nice, I managed to come back with a cold though which on top of my other conditions is not a good experience. Fortunately in the scheme of them it's not been too bad a one, just completely floored me for threeish days and made me feel pretty crap the rest of the week.

With that in mind, I've not been able to do any of the catching up I needed to. I've manmged to not got any more behind though either, which is definitely a good thing. I am a bit bothered about being behind this early in the term, by the end of the second week really wasn't ideal, but it was unavoidable and at least most of the appointments etc were constructive. It's just a pity the things I missed were so important I've not really been in a place I can do anything about that. It's going to be my main target for this week now.

Mentally I've been coping okay. There's been a fair bit of stress going on at home and stuff but I've done everything I can with that- mostly trying to liaise between family members and make sure noone kills each other :rolleyes: it's all coming from a point of caring about each other but that doesn't make it any easier... Anyway, enough about that. I've had a really nice day today with my boyfriend today, I think we both needed that. I've also been asking about research assistant roles at my uni for over the summer, which they run sometimes for students going into final year. Not sure it'll get anywhere but it'd be really nice if I could, they're only part time for 6-8 weeks and you get some living expenses so *hopefully* it would be just about doable. Time will tell.

Last but by no means least, it's really helping me knowing things are finally moving forward a bit health-wise. Even if there's some answers that aren't always good, they are answers. I haven't had many of them the last few years and as someone that doesn't deal well with uncertainty that isn't great. If I know what's happening then I can deal with it. A lot of the problem is that everyday situations are so much harder for me than 'normal' people for various reasons. I'm constantly having to concentrate on balance, coordination, regulating heart rate/blood pressure/temperatyre, breathing, social interactions, processing what's going on around me- things other people just do automatically but I for various reasons can't. That on top of CFS just leave me with so little energy for anything else, especially when I have appointments or get something like a relatively mild cold. It takes so little to knock me.right back and the relentless nature of uni as I've gone straight from a twelve week term to Christmas, revision, exams, new term and a load of appointments etc means that once i'm behind, there is no catching up. I've got two big assignments due in before Easter, two right after and four exams straight after that. There is no let up. But I will just have to do my best. These next couple of weeks are crucial really, the more I can get done the better the rest of the year will be. So I will do my best.

Targets for this week are as follows:
- Get to all my lectures
- Attend the meetings and other random bits I have booked
- Catch up on some stuff I've missed! Preferably 1-2 of the important lectures in the week (ideally 2 but not sure that'll happen), then I can do the other one at the weekend and start working towards the related assignment. Then I'll hopefully be if not back on track, moving forwards.
- Sleep and look after myself.

Hope everyone is okay Long but hopefully a relatively insightful update, better than some I have recently anyway. We can do this...

04MR17 Anon_98 brainzistheword CoolCavy FloralHybrid gcsemusicsucks Pathway Protostar shreyaa02 sinfonietta Slowbro93 The_Lonely_Goatherd

PS I'll ask in MHSS but is anyone in contact off-site with Rigel? They've not been online in months and that doesn't feel right
Protostar
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
proud of you :hugs: always in awe of how you manage to get everything done despite all your setbacks - definitely inspirational :heart:
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck with the research assistant role hunting :borat:

P.S. Add meh to your wee tag list :moo: pls
gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry you've not been feeling well :console: Hope you get better soon :hugs:
Those research assistant roles sound interesting :yep: Definitely worth giving it a go!
You're doing so well! :gah: :woo: :jumphug:
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well done for not getting any further behind despite everything :hugs:
Hope you manage to get your catch up in this week :yep:
Glad you've had a nice day with your bf
Hope this week is as good as possible :cube:

Posted from TSR Mobile
furryface12
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Protostar)
proud of you :hugs: always in awe of how you manage to get everything done despite all your setbacks - definitely inspirational :heart:
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Good luck with the research assistant role hunting :borat:

P.S. Add meh to your wee tag list :moo: pls
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
Sorry you've not been feeling well :console: Hope you get better soon :hugs:
Those research assistant roles sound interesting :yep: Definitely worth giving it a go!
You're doing so well! :gah: :woo: :jumphug:
(Original post by Lemur14)
Well done for not getting any further behind despite everything :hugs:
Hope you manage to get your catch up in this week :yep:
Glad you've had a nice day with your bf
Hope this week is as good as possible :cube:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks all
furryface12
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
17- Week 4

So we're back to being very late again apparently

Last week was pretty up and down. Nothing particularly bad happened I was just generally a lot too tired to cope with anything. I got to all my lectures bar the lab which is something- Thursday was a bit of disaster and that was one ginormous step too far. The rest I managed various degrees of attention in but from what I remember were okay. Two even used some physics in them, shock horror my A levels may actually be useful! :shock:

The big thing that happened near the start of the week was results! I was so so happy. The exam I really struggled with I just scraped a first in (70) which I was ecstatic by. My essays so far had been high 2:1s but I just couldn't work out critical evaluation enough to get it across that boundary. So even though it's only two marks different I feel like I'm getting the hang of it now and know how to do better. That and I got myself in such a mess over it and it was so completely out of my comfort zone, but I went in there and I did it despite feeling completely crap and yeah. It's done. My other two exams were much higher firsts, leaving me with complete module marks of 75, 76 (damn you stupid thing I messed up earlier in the term pulling it down) and 84 (:eek3:). The module I've only done half of so far sits at 75

Other things.. I guess health has to be the main one I guess. I got a load of tests back from a few weeks ago which were mostly fine. It's always a bit difficult with CFS/chronic illness as in many ways you *want* something to show up just so there's maybe something that can be treated and make you feel a bit better. In this case though it would probably have meant something really quite serious which I didn't think fitted me, so yeah I was relieved about that one. I also got the letter from my neurology appointment which was very long but mostly positive. It confirmed the diagnoses he's thinking about which is helpful for my GP to have (not least I couldn't remember one of the names when I saw him!) and was generally a pretty good summary of my relevant symptoms etc. Except the defining one for one of my conditions which he seemed to think I don't have, it's a huge problem for me so don't know where he got that from :erm: but anyway. I'm feeling pretty positive on that front atm. It finally feels like there might actually be some treatment options for at least part of what I live with day to day, and that has to be a good thing. It's taken nearly six years but maybe, just maybe, someone might actually be able and prepared to help me

Aside from that, not a lot to report really. My parents and sister came up and took me out for food Saturday night which was nice, even if they didn't bring the dog with them despite my begging :grumble: I went to a society social too which I enjoyed. The research assistant thing turned out to be not exactly what I thought it was which is a pain, but I'm going to meet with one of the lecturers in a couple of weeks anyway and see where things go. I really need to be getting into this term's assignments from now on (guess what I'm procrastinating from right now :lol:), so even if I do decide I want to apply for one of them it's not the priority. I've also been thinking about careers again a bit, but that's for another post. This one is getting way too long!

Goals for this week are:
- Get to my remaining lectures
- See my boyfriend and maybe go visit my grandparents
- Make a good start on the reading for one of my assignments
- Go to the doctor's if I need to before I end up in hospital like a complete idiot. So much for a medic-free week :rolleyes:

I'll try and do another update in a couple of days with this week and get back on track! Hope everyone is alright, especially those that have had results out too. Let me know if you want taking off the tag list, I'd hate to keep spamming people with notifications they really don't want! I won't be offended.

04MR17 Anon_98 brainzistheword CoolCavy FloralHybrid gcsemusicsucks Pathway Protostar shreyaa02 sinfonietta Slowbro93 The_Lonely_Goatherd
Last edited by furryface12; 3 weeks ago
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh my gosh those results are amazing! :gah: You smashed it :woo: So proud! :hugs:
I have my fingers crossed for you that you get treatment soon! :hugs:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Proud of you for those results! You're absolutely amazing and a real trooper! :king1: Not at easy feat at all for anyone, so well done :yay:

Sorry to hear the research assistant thing is not quite what you thought And that you didn't get to see your dog

Also sorry for being useless at being in touch :getmecoat:

You're a superstar :lovehug:
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Think I said it before but well done for your results :yay: They're super, especially with everything else you had going on!!
Glad to hear you're feeling more positive about health stuff after so long too.
Well done for going to almost everything last week too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well done on your marks, they're amazing!
Protostar
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Incredible results, well done!!! Hope you have/are having a good week this week :hugs:
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
well done on your marks! may i be tagged?
furryface12
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Update 18- Week 5

Thank you so much for the lovely replies to my last post! I've repped all of you that TSR will let you, PRSOM is stupid grrrr.

This week has been alright I guess. I've been very dead mood-wise which is an almost constant feature at the moment, but better than some of the alternatives. I did finally go to the doctors on Friday as my breathing's been really rubbish for weeks and I realised that I was probably one more air pressure change (biggg asthma trigger for me) from ending up in hospital. But anyway, got the meds I needed, back on steroids again and hopefully they'll do their job. However much they mess my brain up in the mean time, they always seem to do that.

Workwise, I've not done a great deal which I really needed to....but just not had the energy for various reasons. I've been to all my lectures bar the one on Friday that I had the doctors in, i'm not doing that essay title anyway and this part of the module I'm fairly sure isn't even in the exam so yeah, not crucial. I've done a little bit of reading and stuff for one of my essays but not as much as I wanted to. That's going to be my priority for this week, and the same for the other one too.

So yeah, not a great deal to report. My boyfriend's here this weekend which is nice, we've had a nice relaxing day today which I really needed. We were going to go to my grandparents which I feel bad for, but that'll have to wait until next time :/ as it happened I probably would've been okay going, but really wasn't very well this morning and had no idea how I was going to be later on with meds etc, so that was the decision.

New targets for this week:
- Get to rehearsal tomorrow, as I've missed loads this term for one reason or another
- Finish the bit of reading I'm on for this essay, near the start of the week
- Start reading for the other essay and write intro and easy first para. Preferably have some idea of where I'm going with the rest of it too!
- Go back to doctor's, home and then CT scan on Saturday. Annoying timing as I wanted the weekend for essay planning at home in peace but there we go.

Hope everyone is alright

04MR17 Anon_98 brainzistheword CoolCavy entertainmyfaith FloralHybrid gcsemusicsucks Pathway Protostar shreyaa02 sinfonietta Slowbro93 The_Lonely_Goatherd

Sorry if I've missed anyone
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
:lovehug:🐧
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well done for going to the doctors :hugs: Hope the steroids mess your brain up as little as possible!
Glad you managed a relaxing day today
Good luck for next week :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well done for going to the doctors and glad you didn't miss too much in the process! :hugs:
Hope you have another lovely day with your boyfriend today
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
glad to hear you've been doing okay
hope you enjoy spending time w your boyfriend today:hugs::heart:
furryface12
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
Well done for going to the doctors :hugs: Hope the steroids mess your brain up as little as possible!
Glad you managed a relaxing day today
Good luck for next week :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
Well done for going to the doctors and glad you didn't miss too much in the process! :hugs:
Hope you have another lovely day with your boyfriend today
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
glad to hear you've been doing okay
hope you enjoy spending time w your boyfriend today:hugs::heart:
Thanks all hope you guys are okay
furryface12
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
19- Week 6

This week didn't start great but got better. I was really ill Monday and Tuesday, the steroids were driving me slightly loopy as usual which meant I was bedbound and unable to do anything because CFS, but completely unable to sleep/properly rest because of them. So I basically drove myself mad for several days with my head going round in circles. But anyway, I survived, and the steroids thankfully did their job and I a) don't need any more and b) can mostly breathe.

I made it to my rehearsal Sunday night which was nice, I was increasingly not-really-well-enough through it but it was a good rehearsal, I enjoyed it. And got a lift home from someone at the end which is always good. I also made it to my first lecture Monday morning which was useful for tying things together in, I just crashed badly afterwards and that was it until Thursday really. So I've got a few I'll need to catch up with at some point, I don't need that stuff for my assignments though so can do them over Easter/some point before exams.
Thursday I went to the doctor's as a follow up from last week, we went through my neurology letter too which was helpful. I need to request my notes from cardiology from a couple of years back as their letter was crap and didn't actually say what it needed to. I'll do that at some point, it's £50 for a copy apparently though which is just grrrr. I slept for a couple of hours (after drying out eventually- I got very very wet no thanks to the weather and a speeding bus over a speed bump!) and then went to my lab class, which was pretty useful. I worked with the person I did a few weeks back again, they seem really nice. My parents picked me up Thursday evening and I came home- doggy!! :excited:

So that's been my week really. I managed to do a little bit of reading and vague planning for one of my essays, not as much as I wanted to but it's a start. I then decided to move on to the other one as that should be a bit quicker and is due first, I've not got any further than that really though. My job for tomorrow. I have procrastinated the last couple of days usefully though by doing the formative lab report I have due next week (or as much as I'm going to do). And I looked after the dog while everyone was away last night, saw my sister for a little bit and slept quite a bit too. Which is a big improvement on the last couple of weeks and very much needed!

Goals for this week are:
- Start my other essay- do the intro and easy first para tomorrow and then find some articles and work out the rest of it to get on with Monday morning or once I'm back at uni.
- Get to my lectures Tuesday/Thursday/Friday.
- Go visit my home band Monday evening. Not been to a rehearsal with them since October I don't think so it'll hopefully be nice!
- Basically do as much work as I can without completely killing myself. Also, have a medical free week! I hope. I've had at least one appointment every week since Christmas, often two and sometimes three. They've been necessary and helpful but also exhausting and I'm so behind where I need to be on work.

Hope everyone's had a good week let me know if you want removing from the tag list

04MR17 Anon_98 brainzistheword CoolCavy entertainmyfaith FloralHybrid gcsemusicsucks Pathway Protostar shreyaa02 sinfonietta Slowbro93 The_Lonely_Goatherd
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.02%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.9%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (47)
10.71%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.75%

Watched Threads